• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All unionized Dragon Age: Dreadwolf QA workers have been laid off

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
They do the same work, even as contractors, and should get the same benefits. Because contractors carry all the risk (they are the first to be fired if a project/company goes tits up), in theory they should get even more. The union at my workplace also fights for contract workers. They managed equal pay etc.

Workers should stand together against billionaire owners, shareholders and companies trying to fuck people over for their own success.

Dane

Lol they think unions can stop people from being fired? They can make bargaings for better severances.

This is why unions will hardly take off as they did in the 30s, because its all politically motivated against a lot of their own members like UAW and you have millenials and zoomers thinking that Unions means they will control who gets in and out in their club, a closed shop.

Last edited:

Kings Field

Unions are a scam. I'm making $14/hr more as a non union PA job compared to my last job where the SEIU did shit besides donate all h money to liberal trash politicians.

In some countries both can be linked. If you can prove the proposition, then the employer must take you back and pay you for the damages. In the US the woman would still be ousted and at best have a deal with the employer. Here if they were in western Europe they would simply go to a judge and say that EA never stopped a contract before at this stage and if true could win something. I think so at least.

Sorry I should have been clearer, it's what I meant by:

why their contract isn’t extended is irrelevant as long as the game is being played by the rules

In both cases, this Bioware and the crazy hypothetical, the contracts have expired so the question is: what happens next? In the case of sexual harassment the plaintiff and the judge will decide on the compensation, which could mean a settlement and a renewed contract. Chances are the plaintiff isn't going to want to go back to work at the company after this, and the more likely outcome is a fat settlement and the company being forced to perform some cultural changes. In the case of the EA contract the plaintiffs will have to prove they have been unfairly treated, which depending on the terms of the contract, could be easily dismissed as their services no longer being required. The contract was fulfilled, the tender process starts again.

cormack12

Gold Member
Why do these takes keep getting articles?

They were contracted for work. The contract ended with both sides fulfilled. Another contract was not offered. That's what being a contractor is.

Fucking hell, imagine how many labourers would be sitting on their asses if they had to be offered a new contract when their current one expired. How would these people feel if their mobile phone contracts were in perpetuity? I'm convinced these are all a bunch of uptight undergrads who have a higher opinion of themselves than their actual talent deserves.

Ok. It's EA neglecting non-executives.

I literally have no clue what you are trying to say. For every problem a union fixes it creates 10 more. Game devs should be paid fairy but unions are not the answer. As for Cali, it's an ridicolously expensive landfill. Why game companies stay there and pay their insane taxes in crazy.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I literally have no clue what you are trying to say. For every problem a union fixes it creates 10 more. Game devs should be paid fairy but unions are not the answer. As for Cali, it's an ridicolously expensive landfill. Why game companies stay there and pay their insane taxes in crazy.

Unions are largely responsible for our current status.

People often forget that in the past workers were paid peanuts, and shifts lasted up to 16 hours 6 days a week. Unions and class solidarity changed that. People died for our current comfort.

Unions are largely responsible for our current status.

People often forget that in the past workers were paid peanuts, and shifts lasted up to 16 hours 6 days a week. Unions and class solidarity changed that. People died for our current comfort.

Yep, they did. Now they are as corrupt as the executives.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Do you guys realize that roughly 90% of all software development projects are all hired temps? It doesn't seem like many people realize this. That includes everyone not just programmers and artists.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Never a good news when people lose their job...on the other hand their last game was dogshit

maybe-oswalt.gif
QA people don't have a saying on anything but how stable the game runs

Top Bottom