• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost 2 After It Was Released, No News Yet for Final Fantasy 7 Remake on Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfey

Banned
Of course I do, what kind of question is this?

This year I’ve already bought Sifu, Tales of Arise, Horizon FW, Elden Ring, Cyberpunk and GT7. Probably forgetting something.
Then gamepass is working good for you then.
You managed to fund your ps5 business, because gamepass took care of xbox for you.
Now what do you think will happen to people who only have xbox?
They will just buy games that are not on gamepass. No matter how Many savings are there, we will spend money easily on other stuff.

Pedro Motta

Then gamepass is working good for you then.
You managed to fund your ps5 business, because gamepass took care of xbox for you.
Now what do you think will happen to people who only have xbox?
They will just buy games that are not on gamepass. No matter how Many savings are there, we will spend money easily on other stuff.
I actually supported Xbox business more, because I paid for Gamepass and didn’t use it for 3 whole months. Loving Tunic tho.

kingfey

Banned
I actually supported Xbox business more, because I paid for Gamepass and didn’t use it for 3 whole months. Loving Tunic tho.
You will get your money worth soon.

You have until December for 4 $30-$60 games to be dropped on the service that you might like it.

I am just treating it as $15 spending for 1 indie game every month. That way, I don't feel like I am wasting my money.

Pedro Motta

You will get your money worth soon.

You have until December for 4 $30-$60 games to be dropped on the service that you might like it.

I am just treating it as $15 spending for 1 indie game every month. That way, I don't feel like I am wasting my money.
I’m sure I’m getting my money worth, otherwise I wouldn’t have invested on an Xbox. That’s not the issue here, I’m talking about Xbox users engagement in buying games, specifically Japanese RPGs, not too loved on the platform. SQE probably did the math an saw it just wasn’t worth it.

arvfab

Banned
There is a free month trial and it’s $5 if you just stay a month. Definitely worth it.

I like subscriptions, makes me play more games since there is no extra investment. Just started subbing to PS Now at $50/year, which will be converted to the new PS+ Premium later. The original FF7 is there, downloading now. 🙂

Nah, I want to take my time with a game, especially an RPG. As long as it stays bound to Apple Arcade, I will skip it.

Three

I'm pretty sure they never said it was. It was always assumed to be a timed-exclusive, because how could Square Enix keep a game this big on just PlayStation (even with a moneyhat,) but it surprisingly has stayed on PS even after they opened it up to a PC port.
You're right platforms were never confirmed at any point. IMO the only viable way it does is if MS pay Square-Enix to get it because I don't think they expect it to sell that much. It wasnt massive seller even on PS and it was on PS+. It's a good game. The only reason we might be hearing about it at all now could be because it's coming sometime soon even if it's 2 years after.

Chukhopops

you heard it wasnt great? from neogaf I assume?

Game is amazing for me.
It has a 8.7 critic score and 8.1 user score on Metacritic...
Not gonna argue preferences but FFXV also sits at 8.1 / 7.6 and it is, at the very least, controversial in terms of reception.

My guess is that people who didn’t play the original tend to appreciate the remake more (there are some examples even in this thread).

Anyway, this pain and disappointment is behind me now. There are tons of good JRPGs around these days.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If you look at the bethesda deals and final fantasy XVI Sony we’re swinging That cheque book around so much it made MS buy Bethesda when they tried to secure Starfield. I could see Sony paying a lot to keep final fantasy a PlayStation exclusive, it’s worked for 20 years and tbh I have no problem with it. I’ll just play them on my ps5.

Riky

$MSFT
If you look at the bethesda deals and final fantasy XVI Sony we’re swinging That cheque book around so much it made MS buy Bethesda when they tried to secure Starfield. I could see Sony paying a lot to keep final fantasy a PlayStation exclusive, it’s worked for 20 years and tbh I have no problem with it. I’ll just play them on my ps5.

Exactly it backfired in the end so much so they had to issue statements pleading for Warzone. They should spend more money on first party games rather than paying to prevent Xbox players playing a game, maybe then they wouldn't need £10 upgrade fees for patches.

Mephisto40

It won't release on xbox until square agree to put it on gamepass day 1

Square don't want to do that because they think they'll make more money selling it normally

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I’m sure I’m getting my money worth, otherwise I wouldn’t have invested on an Xbox. That’s not the issue here, I’m talking about Xbox users engagement in buying games, specifically Japanese RPGs, not too loved on the platform. SQE probably did the math an saw it just wasn’t worth it.
Well Microsoft will need to pay to get it on Game Pass which will make it worth SE's while.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: Are gamers some of the biggest offenders of playing the "victim" card? Like honestly. Ppl are crying in here about a potential "timed" exclusive. If you're one of those complaining in here about timed exclusives but you support "more acquisitions" you're kind of just a hypocrite. At least with timed-exclusives you get the potential to play it one day.

OT: I honestly don't know what kind of timed-exclusive this was, I never heard of a 2 year timed-exclusive deal. Realistically, how much would Playstation have to pay Square to keep it off Xbox? Also, how big are Final Fantasy games on Xbox or Persona games? Do anime games do well on Xbox? It sucks that those on Xbox won't be able to play this game, which was really good, but this isn't the last time it's going to happen. Timed-exclusives will happen again and many 3rd party studios have just become 1st party... so the shoe is going to be on the other foot soon.

Last edited:
This has GamePass day one written all over it, but I would expect Square Enix wants a hefty sum for it to happen. They have effectively already triple dipped on this game, Sony for the exclusive, Sony for PS Plus, and then Epic for the EGS exclusive.

kingfey

Banned
If SQE did the math, then they wouldn't have put their japanese games on xbox at all.
Xbox gamers buy Japanese games. The issue is that, the devs only see their Japanese audience, and not outside Japanese audience. Xbox has no chance that way.

Lognor

Banned
This has GamePass day one written all over it, but I would expect Square Enix wants a hefty sum for it to happen. They have effectively already triple dipped on this game, Sony for the exclusive, Sony for PS Plus, and then Epic for the EGS exclusive.
Right. And the fact that it is not on Steam yet is telling. We know it'll eventually come to Steam. If it comes to Steam without any mention of Xbox then I think we can rule it out coming to Xbox.

I'm guessing a year of exclusivity on Epic store, so that means it'll come to Steam at the end of the year or beginning of next year. And I would bet it comes to Xbox (and Game Pass) at the same time.

Hezekiah

Banned
Exactly it backfired in the end so much so they had to issue statements pleading for Warzone. They should spend more money on first party games rather than paying to prevent Xbox players playing a game, maybe then they wouldn't need £10 upgrade fees for patches.
More evidence of a pathetic persecution complex from a person who was probably leading the cheerleading when the Bethesda and Activision deals were announced 🥲

What data?
The sales for basically any JRPG. It's always a landslide in favor of PS/Switch, with Xbox sales in the "why did they even bother" range.

Tons of JRPGs skip Xbox because of this, even without Sony or Nintendo paying anything. Disgaea games, Ateluer games, many Tales of games, Persona, etc

The one time Microsoft attempted to get big JRPG exclusives for Xbox, it backfired. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were great games (well, at least, LO), but the audience just didn't care to support them. That's not where the target audience is.

Riky

$MSFT
More evidence of a pathetic persecution complex from a person who was probably leading the cheerleading when the Bethesda and Activision deals were announced 🥲

There is a difference between owning a company and paying the wages rather than just paying to stop others playing third party games indefinitely, it doesn't surprise me you can't handle that though.

It will probably be the same with the other games rumored to be console timed exclusive. Kena, Forespoken, Sifu, Project Eve.

Sony isn't paying for lifetime exclusivity on any of these games. So if xbox never gets a port that will be the studios choice. Once their contract with Sony expires, they can do what they want.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Somebody post that crazy rant about Final Fantasy coming to Xbox lol. I've always associated Final Fantasy with Sony. Before that Nintendo. I bet a lot of people do. Sony probably knows this and wants to keep it that way.

Hezekiah

Banned
There is a difference between owning a company and paying the wages rather than just paying to stop others playing third party games indefinitely, it doesn't surprise me you can't handle that though.
Yes let's all sit and clap like seals while MS buys publisher after publisher with money generated from Windows and Office .

Of course a sychophant with seven Xbox's in his house likes the sound of that 💩

Hezekiah

Banned
Sony isn't paying for lifetime exclusivity on any of these games. So if xbox never gets a port that will be the studios choice. Once their contract with Sony expires, they can do what they want.
Yes and it's something all companies do.

Microsoft did it with Mass Effect, Bioshock, Alan Wake, Tomb Raider, Titanfall....

And yet some people want to pretend it's only Big Bad Sony that does it, which is total rubbish.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I dont really care about the game, its just really important to me that people who arent on my preffered system cant play it. /s

Warz in a nut shell

kingfey

Banned
The sales for basically any JRPG. It's always a landslide in favor of PS/Switch, with Xbox sales in the "why did they even bother" range.

Tons of JRPGs skip Xbox because of this, even without Sony or Nintendo paying anything. Disgaea games, Ateluer games, many Tales of games, Persona, etc

The one time Microsoft attempted to get big JRPG exclusives for Xbox, it backfired. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were great games (well, at least, LO), but the audience just didn't care to support them. That's not where the target audience is.
PS would always be higher in Japan, simply because PS is in Japan, unlike xbox.
As a dev, you will prefer the console that is in your home country.
Pc couldn't get Japanese games that much, because those devs didn't care about it.
Xbox at early stage, was small in Japan, hence the sales were low. The Xbox one, had like 144k console in Japan.
It was not because Xbox players didn't want Japanese games.

Zeroing

Banned
Both Sony and MS done it or do it! Why not make a campaign on a social platform and demand for both Sony and MS stop timed exclusives? Seems more productive than to be here arguing who is the evil, Sony or Microsoft.

kingfey

Banned
Both Sony and MS done it or do it! Why not make a campaign on a social platform and demand for both Sony and MS stop timed exclusives? Seems more productive than to be here arguing who is the evil, Sony or Microsoft.
Did you forget which site you are in?

Vognerful

Right. And the fact that it is not on Steam yet is telling. We know it'll eventually come to Steam. If it comes to Steam without any mention of Xbox then I think we can rule it out coming to Xbox.

I'm guessing a year of exclusivity on Epic store, so that means it'll come to Steam at the end of the year or beginning of next year. And I would bet it comes to Xbox (and Game Pass) at the same time.
Now we are mentioning gamepads, you can't be sure about it.

We now that Sony in RE8 case put a special condition not to put the game on gamepass during release or for certain period.

Vognerful

I don't get why are you guys so uptight about this. If both of them are doing it, what so wrong about discussing one of the games that are famously affected by this condition.

Zeroing

Banned
I don't get why are you guys so uptight about this. If both of them are doing it, what so wrong about discussing one of the games that are famously affected by this condition.
Nothing wrong but most it’s just fuel for console wars and the problem will not be fixed! Timed exclusives will keep happening…waste of energy in my view.

Chukhopops

Yes let's all sit and clap like seals while MS buys publisher after publisher with money generated from Windows and Office .

Of course a sychophant with seven Xbox's in his house likes the sound of that 💩
Remember when Housemarque was bought and you said:
Maybe people will stop bitching about acquisitions now lol.

Sony are much more restrained when it comes to this, however I wonder if Remedy might also be on their bucket list.
And then you keep cheerleading for every Sony acquisition, like after Bluepoint? Or even last week?
I reckon there will be one more over the next few months.
God of War Ragnorak gameplay footage.

Naughty Dog's next project which is supposedly close to being done.

Next acquisition?
Looks like you’re a huge hypocrite who only worries about consolidation when others do it.

Have some self-respect before calling others out.

ethomaz

Banned
What is the reason exactly?
What is wrong with timed-exclusives or exclusives at all?
It is the opposite it helps the industry… helps developers to make more games… helps the platforms to have identify making users to have multi platforms.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Is ff7r really that bad? I heard it wasn't great but this seems hyperbolic!
The game wasn’t a dumpster fire. It was well received and sold well. No idea why some are trying to call it a failure.
It depends on how important you think the story is to the game. I kinda think it tends to be pretty important. The graphics and music, are all fantastically redone.

The story seems to take what's meaningful about the original (hidden amidst all of its usual FF style shenanigans and anime style goofy stuff) and flushes it down the toilet. I think it is a dumpster fire in that regard. All they had to do was literally remake it with the same story. Sure, they could expand the story a bit since they wanted Midgar to last 30 hours or whatever but ... that's not what they did. They changed it ... while sorta keeping it the same. But at the same time you need to have played the original to sorta get it. It's ridiculous and comes across like a "story" a third grader would write as fan fiction after playing the first game.

I kinda think Xbox only gamers are better off not getting it honestly. One of the few games in my life I regret buying and supporting. I know there are going to be plenty who disagree with me but ... those people are wrong. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Ah I get it. Anyone who doesn't agree with your narrative is drinking the kool aid. Seems like a nicer club to be in TBH lol.

You're comparing buying a publisher and still letting them make multi-platform games (AB) versus buying exclusives from a multi-platform publisher and not letting the game come out on other consoles (Sony/SE).

Which of these is the worse one on paper ? You decide.

What about Bethesda then? Only because MS had been forced to stay MP with AB? Otherwise those games would not come on PS anymore, same as the Bethesda games.

People crying about Sony and FF, but coming with some of the most stupid excuses about acquiring publishers. You guys are ok when MS acquired the whole industry and their mother, but i bet people will still crying over that one game. If it is timed-exclusive then why are xboxfans crying like bitches? But at the same time cheerleading when new acquired publishers or studios won’t develop any game for other platforms anymore.

MS is also moneyhatting games….

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
What about Bethesda then? Only because MS had been forced to stay MP with AB? Otherwise those games would not come on PS anymore, same as the Bethesda games.

People crying about Sony and FF, but coming with some of the most stupid excuses about acquiring publishers.

MS is also moneyhatting games….
There is difference between buying a publisher to make it your own 1st party, vs blocking 3rd part games, that you don't own from other system.

bungie, bethesda, and Activision belong to who bought them. The other systems can't get them, because the other company fully owns the entire thing.

Sony has to pay MS $67b, and $7b to get Activision and Bethesda games. MS has to pay $3b to get bungie games.

3rd party however, no one owns them. It doesn't make a sense, stopping them from releasing on other systems. Unless they are owned by one of these systems, it shit, and pathetic. Whether it's MS with stalker 2, or Sony with ff7r.

Hezekiah

Banned
Remember when Housemarque was bought and you said:

And then you keep cheerleading for every Sony acquisition, like after Bluepoint? Or even last week?

Looks like you’re a huge hypocrite who only worries about consolidation when others do it.

Have some self-respect before calling others out.
You call that cheerleading lol.

And acquiring small studios that for the most part that they already work with is nothing like spending $80bn on massive publishers, hoping that MS buys half the game industry. Typical Xboy though - 'worries' about Apple and Google coming in and buying major publishers, but celebrates when MS does it lol 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom