• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost 40% of Mario Kart Tour players are female.

CAB_Life

Member
A ton of women play MMOs too. Especially (anecdotally) ESO and FFXIV. Always good to have more gamers in live service titles.
 

MilkyJoe

Member
Does anyone outside of Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and Twitter really care?

 

Gargus

Banned
At least the Sitgma that videogames are only for Men is almost gone.

There never was a stigma. Ever.

I'm in my 40s so I grew up in school when the ones was a thing till now and it never been a stigma for girls to play games. From my 40 years as a gamer it was the girls themselves who thought gaming was stupid, maybe 10% of girls I knew actually wanted to play. The other 90% thought guys who played games were nerdy and stupid and thought games were dumb.

Sure some girls may have experienced a stigma. But men faced it way way more back in the day.

My mom played everquest for years when it came out. My best friend she got me into civilization back in the day. My wife is looking forward to me getting a ps5 so I will put my ps4 in the bedroom so she can play mass effect andromeda. First girl I ever kissed when I was a kid and I would spend entire nights switching off levels and lives on the genesis. Lots of girls played games but back in the day most girls didnt want to.
 
2010-ass zynga-ass post. Nice try Nintendo, but Mario kart blows and "all the girls are playing it!" still doesn't get you any good boy points in my book.
 

lukilladog

Member
The proportion of women playing a game doesn´t make it good or bad, so why is this relevant Nintendo?.
 
Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The proportion of women playing a game doesn´t make it good or bad, so why is this relevant Nintendo?.
Guess why, don't you know thatnowadays gender/race identity is the most important identity which you can have?
 

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
There never was a stigma. Ever.

I'm in my 40s so I grew up in school when the ones was a thing till now and it never been a stigma for girls to play games. From my 40 years as a gamer it was the girls themselves who thought gaming was stupid, maybe 10% of girls I knew actually wanted to play. The other 90% thought guys who played games were nerdy and stupid and thought games were dumb.

Sure some girls may have experienced a stigma. But men faced it way way more back in the day.

My mom played everquest for years when it came out. My best friend she got me into civilization back in the day. My wife is looking forward to me getting a ps5 so I will put my ps4 in the bedroom so she can play mass effect andromeda. First girl I ever kissed when I was a kid and I would spend entire nights switching off levels and lives on the genesis. Lots of girls played games but back in the day most girls didnt want to.
Cool hear that you never have it.

Saddly in my country the stigma is still there and is stupid, like '' videogames is for children''
 

RealGassy

Banned
The proportion of women playing a game doesn´t make it good or bad, so why is this relevant Nintendo?.
Nintendo always prides itself in attracting the lowest common denominator.
Making the inclusive - "hey, look at us, even retards and people with down-syndrome can play our games!" adverts.

Look at our games, they are so shallow, toothless and easy, that even people with less than 50 IQ can play them.
Woman play them too!

Isn't that exciting? Oh, how very exciting!
I can't wait to play a game which requires one hand, 10 braincells and a barely functioning brain to play!

Exciting indeed! Hooray! Gonna, run down the store and buy a 8th installment of a virtually the same cart racer game.

Unfortunately, this strategy seems to be working.
 
Last edited:

TindalosPup

Member
This statistic doesn't count as a rise in female gaming, Nintendo, it's a mobile game. Stop pandering and make a good video game for your (actual) platform, that isn't a port.

DangOlNintendoDoinSomeDumbShitHere, man. Ladies PlayingMobileGamesDon'tMeanCrapWhenItComesToActualGaming. LikeSayingThemOl'CandyCrushersAreGamers,Too. DangOlNintendoMakingUsActualLadyGamersLookWeak. MaybeWhyDon'tYouShutYourMouthsAndMakeGames,LikenWhatWePayYaTo
 

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
At least the Sitgma that videogames are only for Men is almost gone.

There is no stigma. The only people who were afraid to join something because they had a personal percieved issue of it being "only for men" are pathetic people who really didn't have much of an interest to begin with.
 

royox

Member
At least the Sitgma that videogames are only for Men is almost gone.

Games were never "only for Men", women considered games to be "childish" and "nerdy" stuff during the last 30 years. To the point of laughting about guys that played and also considered it super un-sexy. Women made games to be "men stuff" and suddenly now they want to appear into the gaming world as if it was the coolest of the things.





 
Last edited:

LordKasual

Banned
There never was a stigma. Ever.

I'm in my 40s so I grew up in school when the ones was a thing till now and it never been a stigma for girls to play games. From my 40 years as a gamer it was the girls themselves who thought gaming was stupid, maybe 10% of girls I knew actually wanted to play. The other 90% thought guys who played games were nerdy and stupid and thought games were dumb.

Sure some girls may have experienced a stigma. But men faced it way way more back in the day.

My mom played everquest for years when it came out. My best friend she got me into civilization back in the day. My wife is looking forward to me getting a ps5 so I will put my ps4 in the bedroom so she can play mass effect andromeda. First girl I ever kissed when I was a kid and I would spend entire nights switching off levels and lives on the genesis. Lots of girls played games but back in the day most girls didnt want to.

Yes there was. You're actually explaining it away.

Games were never marketed to girls, they were marketed to boys. There are significantly more boy-centric games than girl ones. Even games with female protagonists are chiefly marketed....to boys.

The reason games like Mario Kart, Pokemon, simple cellphone games like Angry Birds, and even more slightly gamer-centric titles like Zelda have larger female playerbases is because the games and the consoles they're on are generally seen as gender-neutral as far as marketing and gameplay is concerned.

And you're forgetting something -- girls who took gaming as seriously as guys did back in the day faced the exact same social backlash as the guys did. "Gamer Girl" absolutely was not an archetype that had any marketing power back in the day. But when you combine that with the fact that gaming never really made a conscious effort to market or design games TOWARDS females, it makes it very easy to see why it never caught on for women as hard as it did for guys...hence why 40% is actually a decent sized statistic.


But anyway, this article was posted by Nintendo, who is literally only sharing the information because their marketing strategy is "WE'RE FOR EVERYBODY!", which clearly works, because they seem to maintain a high %age of female players by focusing very heavily on 1st party games with gender neutral design. (Mario, Splatoon, ARMS, Pokemon, ect).

So it's just Nintendo stroking their own dicks, as usual.
 
Top Bottom