• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost a year into the generation, what has been your favourite game so far?

Camreezie

Thread title says it all , we are almost a year into PS5/XSX. What has been your favourite title so far? Doesnt have to be exclusive to this generation

So far for me its between Resident Evil Village and Yakuza : Like A Dragon. Your choices?

Kupfer

Control UE was cool. Didn't play the game before the PS5 version.
But nothing which blew my mind so far.

Too early for me to say, its truly not a year yet until November 11th or so. Waiting for Forza Horizon 5 to hit 1st.

But so far really enjoyed Demon's Souls, Returnal, Psychonauts 2, Aliens: Fireteam Elite, Death Stranding Directors Cut, FF7 Remake Integrate and Diablo 2 Resurrected.

Waiting for Forza Horizon 5 as I said and Halo Infinite to hit but that's going into the year 2 territory because it comes out in December.

Honestly, I do not think there is such a thing as a favorite game anymore for me. I am 31 years old and when someone asks me if God of War 2018 is better than Sea of Thieves or vice versa, my answer is neither. Simply because I love both of those games for a variety of different reasons, they are also very very different games from 1 another and you can't really compare.

I guess it would boil down too my playtime, but that's reaching for it to be fair. A lot of good games this year despite the delays.

However, I wil say that whatever year Bloodborne 2 or Bloodborne Remaster comes out. That would be the game for me for the best of the year.

Next most likely Elden Ring will take the spot.

I have a strong bias towards From Software titles. I won't lie. But as I said previously, it doesn't mean that these From Software games are better than others, it just happens to be the ones I love and enjoy the most when I spend my time playing them on a personal level, while still totally down to playing other games as well. I don't know if this makes any sense I probably sound very contradicting and its hard to explain it lol.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Metroid.. it’s not even close.

Metroid gives me that feeling I constantly look for that I rarely get these days.
That feeling that I spend too much money on all the newest games searching for.

I agree 100% with what you are talking about. This is a full on modern game that came right out of the 90's. The occasional proof that it's not just you getting old, it's that games compromised too much along the way.

If Nintendo could put out a game like this in all of their main franchises, it would be like the SNES days all over again.

MikeM

Everything I care for is coming out next year. In saying that, my favourite so far has been Doom Eternal on PS5. Dualsense triggers and 120fps goodness just screamed next gen to me.

Overall, I have been impressed with both sides of the console market.
For PS5, the Dualsense and 3D audio have been fantastic. Sony 1st party games have gotten patches that transform their gameplay experiences. Adaptive triggers make me horny.
For Series X, AutoHDR, GamePass and FPS Boost have been a game changer for obvious reasons. Really interested in seeing what the heavy hitter 1st party IP will bring to the console.

Cryio

One year into 9th gen consoles and I've yet to play a game newer than 2019.

I've actually finished DMC5 and Gears of War 5 and I played for a bit Metro Exodus and Control, but nothing else aside from these 4.

I'm currently playing PS2 and GameCube games mostly, lmao.

EDIT: Darn, I forgot I played Cyberpunk, which is a late 2020 title. After 100 hours, game unfinished, I put it on the backburner until it's going to get some more patches.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

capsule_616x353.jpg

since next gen started ive played MLB The Show 21, The Ascent, AC: Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion, Demons Souls, Bugsnax and AstroBot

I think Astrobots the best. Ascent i didn't put much time into but i did enjoy what i played. Watch Dogs Legion i got so obsessed with recruiting people and just living in that stupid world i barely played any campaign. I dislike pitching in The Show games too much to play any more of that. Demons Souls is just a better looking version of demons souls. Valhalla doesn't feel as good as the last two games. And Bugsnax was surprisingly charming.

Max_Po

Banned
Kena
Resident Evil 8
and Ratchet...

I played and finished Ratchet 3 times its fairly short game overall.
Absolutely Love RE8, but I am stuck on the last boss on hardest mode.

Playing Kena, the combat is hard but I don't want to drop difficulty.

Picked up Metroid but I have not started it yet.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I think the Ascent has the best aesthetics of any next gen game. Lots of fun.
I don’t think I have played a true next gen game yet though.

Metroid is amazing though.

Umbasaborne

Banned
In terms of games that can only be played on next gen consoles, its demons souls, astro bot, and flight simulator. If we take cross gen into account, i would put re: village and psychonauts 2 on the list as well

Last edited:
It’s still Destiny 2 and COD Black ops. I’ve had fun with Miles and Ratchet, Xbox really hasn’t have AAA out yet but I consider game pass my shining star on my XSX

Roberts

Thread title says it all , we are almost a year into PS5/XSX. What has been your favourite title so far? Doesnt have to be exclusive to this generation

So far for me its between Resident Evil Village and Yakuza : Like A Dragon. Your choices?
Psychonauts 2 by far is my favourite, but, yeah, I enjoyed new Yakuza as well.

Eevee86

All I've played was Ratchet, and that was just a basic ass Ratchet game, which is good but I've played like nine of them.

Top Bottom