• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost a year into the generation, what has been your favourite game so far?

Ratchet and clank, but I've been visiting last gen games a lot with the higher performance modes like persona 5, starting outer wilds.

Vol5

MGS5. Nothing comes close to the gameplay. Next-gen I've been re-visiting Death Stranding via the Director Cut. It's still brilliant.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
I haven't played Metroid Dread yet. But since I actually love the Metroid series more than Zelda, my answer will probably change.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
spider-man marvel GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

Top rated game we saw it go on to sell millions, the future is bright in SONYLand I see Spider-Man, God of War and GT7.

T0minator

Not enough people are talking about this game...it shows off the dual sense perfectly...it's fun, great nostalgic memories throughout the game...and it's free

Astro's Playroom

I recommend everyone who has a PS5 complete and platinum it ..it's really enjoyable my gf and I went through it together and made the PS5 instantly enjoyable from launch

sainraja

I don't think I can pick one. Most recently, I'd say Kena since we're talking about the current generation and Ratchet before it. I finished Ratchet and taking my time through Kena (also life has kinda thrown a wrench at me so I can't focus on games as much as I'd like.) Astro's Playroom was also pleasant surprise for me when I got the PS5.

Last edited:

yamaci17

graphics and story: metro exodus enhanced
gameplay and humor: psychonauts 2
art ant difficulty: kena bridge of spirits

Last edited:
Has to be Chivalry 2. Had a blast with the game.

Single player wise it's probably Ratchet & Clank, haven't finished it yet but it's the most impressive game I've played in the last year, loads of fun.

Honourable mention to It Takes Two, probably the best couch co-op game I've played.

Demon's Souls and Miles Morales were also very, very good.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Probably between Astro's Playroom and Demon's Souls.

On the PS5, so far NOTHING has come close to replicating the feeling that ASTRO'S PLAYROOM gave me when I first played it launch weekend.

Astro's Playroom

Astro’s Playroom hands down….Beautiful graphics, simple but fun gameplay and an amazing dual sense showcase.

Also Hitman 3 gets an honorable mention
Glad to see all the call outs for Astro's Playroom. It's really that good folks. Yes it's short, but it's 2000% quality. Great showcase of the new console and a love letter to long time PlayStation fans.

I loved Returnal and Demon's Souls as well.

Also want to shout out to Danjin44 Danjin44 , scrolling through and I know it's your post without seeing the name based on the high quality cover images 👏

Please, im not trying to be a troll or antagonist, but man...That *new* (cross) gen is/was the WORST generation ever. Rushed, disappointing events, no games, delays...

I said years ago here: "Pandemic and new gen will not work". I dont know why the hurry to release consoles with a massive lack of hype and games...Look the Switch, destroying Sony and MS, with a weak hardware. You know why ? It has games!

I have a ps5, played some Returnal and done.
I tried Crows and some other jp games on my ps5 and got texture issues, errors...So, i plugged my ps4 again, and im happy!

I wish more games in the next years, and focused on ps5 hardware.

Now some people are hyped but in the future, mark my words, you guys will see how this gen was BAD. At least on the beginning...

So OP, yes, Returnal.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Deathloop...game is going to be very influential going forward in level design. It's flawless there.
Nah, arkane make top tier level design since forever and nobody has ever reached their level or even tried except the deus ex games.

That's why it is an event for level design lovers when an arkane game comes out, no one is in their league.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
In terms of games that actually feel like "part" of this gen? Probably the Demon's Souls remake, honestly. Others get hung up on it being a remake but it was transformative to me having already played the original. Feels like a different game even though it absolutely isn't.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm not sure what place Metroid Dread has in this thread...

That being said, RE8. But I rarely buy games early on there day so I haven't played R&C and others thus far.

Haggard

Banned
1 year into the generation I´m still mainly playing LoL.
Returnal, Demon Souls and Ratchet & Clank were good experiences, but they just weren`t very memorable to me at all.

SkylineRKR

Lost Judgment is currently my GOTY. And probably the best game I've played on PS5 yet. RE8 is probably second. Tales of Arise third.

Hunnybun

Miles Morales is probably my favourite experience so far.

Ratchet is the most technically impressive by a long distance.

Returnal is great as well but I prefer the other two.

Shout out to Doom Eternal as well, which looks wonderful in 4k60.

Also, it's bizarre that people are mentioning Metroid. The Switch is in no way a next gen console.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Okay, Beamng is my new favorite game for this gen.
Beamng scenarios are one of the most addicting things i've seen in a game in years.

Demon’s Souls and Resident Evil Village, also enjoyed and finished Death Stranding DC. I am so thirsty for the return of AAA Konami ips. Fingers are crossed we get them back this gen.

Hunnybun

Demon’s Souls and Resident Evil Village, also enjoyed and finished Death Stranding DC. I am so thirsty for the return of AAA Konami ips. Fingers are crossed we get them back this gen.

I tried the trial of Death Stranding last night. Played for about 3.5 hours, and I think I experienced about 45 minutes of gameplay in that time.

Kojima definitely makes good games, but the absolute impenetrable nonsense he wraps them in is so crushingly boring. Not the best game to offer on trial, perhaps.

It Takes Two was sublime and probably the best co-op experience I've ever had so definitely my pick.

There have been plenty of good games though in a ton of different genres of the ones I played these also stand out:
Psychonauts 2
RE Village
Hitman 3
Tales of Arise
Ghost of Tsushima (the 60fps makes it feel like a new game)
Yakuza like a Dragon
Astros Playroom
The Ascent
ME Legendary Edition

I probably forgot a load. Just because there haven't been any huge games and just because it's manly still cross-gen doesn't mean it hasn't been a great time in gaming - the increased performance and fidelity of the new consoles is reason enough to upgrade.

Testament to the choice we have now is that lots of people are saying Ratchet and SM:MM but to me these are 7/10 games tops and would be near the bottom of the list for me.

ripeavocado

Banned
Almost a year into the generation and this has been the most boring and weakest generation that I remember.

Best game?
Ratchet & Clank but we are scratching the bottom of the barrel to find something worth it.

nikos

As far as next-gen console exclusives go, probably Sackboy. My PS5 and XSX have mostly been collecting dust, to be honest.

deathsaber

Of new games that came out since new consoles released probably RE Village

Honestly, I've had the best time though just playing last gen stuff with current gen patches, and remasters- I love games made for lower spec machines that now just run ultra-high res and at unhindered 60fps now they are on hardware that can really make them scream.

For instance, the actual most "next gen" feeling thing I've played so far is Gears 5 on the Series X. Just pure, unadulterated eye candy running flawlessly, and an absolute joy to play. Can't believe its an Xbox One game from over two years ago.

Hunnybun

Of new games that came out since new consoles released probably RE Village

Honestly, I've had the best time though just playing last gen stuff with current gen patches, and remasters- I love games made for lower spec machines that now just run ultra-high res and at unhindered 60fps now they are on hardware that can really make them scream.

For instance, the actual most "next gen" feeling thing I've played so far is Gears 5 on the Series X. Just pure, unadulterated eye candy running flawlessly, and an absolute joy to play. Can't believe its an Xbox One game from over two years ago.

It's interesting playing through last gen games again with performance patches to see what still stands up.

For me, God of War is the best. Looks glorious in almost all respects, and in some scenes looks genuinely next gen.

Days Gone looks great too. The high res textures really set it apart from most other last gen games.

TLOU2 has aged badly imo. Probably the weakest of the ones I've gone back to, and once again due entirely to the REALLY low res textures. Everything looks shockingly muddy.

Horizon ZD is somewhere in the middle. Holds up better than the Naughty Dog games but still looks dated, especially the surprisingly blocky geometry, which I never noticed before.

I never got round to Ghost of Tsushima so no comment there.

Top Bottom