• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aloy is the single biggest problem with the Horizon franchise to me

Humdinger

You didn't have to write this much, I can tell you didn't play the game.

She utilizes and partners with allies way more in this game than the first game. She is not a bitchy loner, you're irrational if you think that.

Here is a list that join you in your base after you quest with them and help you achieve your goals.:

1. Zo
2. Erand
3. Beta
4. Kotallo
5. Alva
6. Tilda (kinda)
7. Varl

lol. I played the first game three times and the second one twice. You have entirely missed the point of what I was saying about her character arc. I repeated it four times, but you still missed it. smh. Reading comprehension, man... damn. Maybe try reading the part where you said "you didn't have to write this much." I wrote it for a reason. Don't reply to something if you aren't going to read it.

And she *is* a bitchy loner -- in the first segment of the second game. How did you miss that? It's only been remarked on by hundreds of people (although most do not distinguish the first segment from the rest of the game -- I did, in the part you ignored).

Stop insulting me, and start listening to what I'm actually saying.

Last edited:

GymWolf

All the characters were mostly bland except for Lance Reddick. The best part about the game was just exploring the lore and trying to figure out what happened. Not a big fan of all the tribe aspects.
Yeah, they failed to make the tenakt super interesting and the other new tribe was meh.

From the new characters, i think i only really liked kotallo and hekarro (and sylens of course but they kinda ruined him a bit), i guess i like the serious, stoic characters in this brand (their VA was also great)

Erend was ok but they made him too much of a jokester simp, i liked him more in zero dawn.

I would have loved to have Nil as a companion over varl or his girlfriend.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Dude he is talking about the beginning of the game where aloy barely accept the help of varl and erend, he is right.

Thank you. Lot of people seem to be on hair-trigger defensiveness around this subject. Can't hear accurately, because they're triggered.

How can anyone write something that long when they're talking about the first few hours lol

I wasn't just talking about the first few hours. I was talking about the character arc and the reason for that arc. I was talking about what the writers were up to. I was also comparing Aloy's character arc in the first game to her arc in the second. But that escaped you, because you couldn't be bothered to read more than a paragraph before jumping to conclusions.

I find it frustrating to put thought into a post, only to be met with lame knee-jerk responses where it's clear the person didn't even try to understand what I was saying.

I understand that not everyone wants to read a "long" post (i.e., a post with more than one or two short paragraphs). But, if you're not going to bother reading a post, you shouldn't make assumptions about what that person is saying (as you did), and then come at them like they're an idiot who hasn't played the game (as you did). That's rude, ignorant, and disrespectful. If you aren't going to bother reading, don't bother responding, because you just make yourself look dumb, and you also make it harder for people like me who are trying to have an intelligent conversation.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

I drag myself to try HFW, i just wanted to see the tech and the pretty graphics. I finished the first game and it was meh. I find Aloy just not compeling. The robots are awesome tough but i couldn't connect with the wood stick and stones tribes aesthetic.

gatti-man

Besides the spoilered bit, they also did that (gave her "internal conflict that she could overcome and grow as a character") in the way they reshaped her personality for the second game. In the first game, Aloy was basically a likeable outcast and underdog. In the second, she became an irritated, impatient, "self-sufficient" loner. Her motto seemed to be, "I have to save the world all by myself, leave me alone." The writers set it up that way, because it provides what you talk about (the internal conflict, chance to grow). Through the course of the second game, she gradually learns about the power of friendship and teamwork (aww).

I didn't like the artificiality of it. They monkeyed with her character, just to set up a character arc. There was no explanation for why she suddenly transformed from a sympathetic outcast who had allies and was happy to get help from others into a cranky princess who players didn't much like. As someone who enjoyed Aloy's character in the first game, this bothered me. I understood what the writers were up to, but the artificiality of it bothered me.
Yup Aloy was easy to root for in the first game in the second she was annoying and rude.

Rush2112

Banned
All I want is for Guerilla to develop a first person game with their trademark badass aesthetics, Killzone style gun play and Horizon style traps.
Agree. Shadow fall was a great sci fi shooter. Again, the plot and characters were pretty lackluster except for lance riddick RIP.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Yup Aloy was easy to root for in the first game in the second she was annoying and rude.

She was. But -- and this probably needs to be emphasized, because a lot of people seem to be missing it -- that is only true of the beginning section of the game. Maybe the first quarter. After that, Aloy gets back to normal. She warms up, welcomes allies, etc.

I think it's unfortunate that the writers decided to start her off that way in the second game. First impressions last, and she makes a bad first impression.

To the OP, if you haven't played Hellblade yet, please do so. The protagonist in Hellblade is literally the Antithesis to Alloy. She's a strong female lead (probably the strongest I've seen in any video game or even TV show), and is the complete opposite of Alloy, in every way.

It's a really moving and compelling story too. I strongly encourage you to play it, if you haven't yet. I think you might find it quite surprising.

She's pretty much the same po-faced Mary Sue with a single-minded determination to save the world as she was in the last game

This describes most videogame protagonists across the board to be honest.

Drizzlehell

Banned
To the OP, if you haven't played Hellblade yet, please do so. The protagonist in Hellblade is literally the Antithesis to Alloy. She's a strong female lead (probably the strongest I've seen in any video game or even TV show), and is the complete opposite of Alloy, in every way.

It's a really moving and compelling story too. I strongly encourage you to play it, if you haven't yet. I think you might find it quite surprising.
I mean, she's like a schizophrenic or something. I think the intention was to primarily show what it means to suffer from that mental disease as well as have us sympathize with her. I don't suppose she was meant to be a role model or anything like that...

It's a pretty dope experience in VR too, by the way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom