• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I going to burn down my apartment in an electrical fire?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I'm currently setting up a 3D print station on my balcony, but I'm not really sure if what I have planned is safe. My main issue is that I don't have a wall outlet out on my balcony. However, I have a solution already there - I have an adapter on my balcony light: It's this:

It turns my lightbulb socket into an outlet. I was going to hook up a power strip to the adapter and plug in my 3d printer and curing station.....

However I'm not really sure how safe that would be. Would the power from the lightbulb socket be enough to power the printer? Power needs for the printer are 100-240V 50/60Hz 24V. Will the socket adapter be able to support that?

Whatever current is running through your walls is the same as what's coming from the ceiling, however your lights could be on a different group than your outlets, so you'd have to make sure you aren't going to overload it.

HAYA8U5A

Surprised Fire GIF

Jinzo Prime

I don't think it's a good idea to plug your several thousand dollar machine into a $7 Chinese lightbulb. Even if it works at first, do you really think it will last in the long run? Not to mention the risk of something shorting out when you are printing for several hours.

NecrosaroIII

I don't think it's a good idea to plug your several thousand dollar machine into a $7 Chinese lightbulb. Even if it works at first, do you really think it will last in the long run? Not to mention the risk of something shorting out when you are printing for several hours.
Nah, it's only a 200 dollar elegoo.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
It's a resin printer, so the fumes are toxic. I live in a small apartment so there are concerns about ventilation.
Are you sure you want to do resin 3d printing? I did it before and it was a pain, the biggest pain was getting rid of containmenated materials/water. You throw away one time used items like paper towel, gloves, etc faster than a hospital; and the water you used to wash the 3d prints can't be flush to the drain (please don't flush it to the drain) because it is containmenated. Research method to get rid of those waste water first and see if it is even feasible in your apartment.

Also for resin print you want to put the printer in an area without any sunlight, but you probably aware of that already.

NecrosaroIII

Also for resin print you want to put the printer in an area without any sunlight, but you probably aware of that already.

Yeah, I was already aware. I have a barrier blocking the sun, and Im balcony doesn't get much sun as it is (It's north facing and shadows from other side of the complex block it when it IS angled

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
How many amps does it pull?

Edit Im an electrician, if you have mcb's /rcbo's youll be fine . Id recommend getting a dedicated socket/ recepticile installed longer term though.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I find it odd there are no outlets on a balcony large enough to set up a printer, but regardless, just get a flat extension cord and run it from an inside outlet rather than this light bulb thing. You are probably only gonna be able to get good work from the printer when the outside temps are moderate, so having the door cracked to run the cord shouldn't be an issue. If you envision yourself doing long print runs with resin you are probably gonna want to make a better indoor set-up. I don't know how easy it is to level a resin printer after moving it but I certainly would not want to move my PLA printer around much if I could help it.

Gp1

I wouldn't trust my several thousand dollars machinery on a cheap light bulb socket/wiring. But if you do, it's probably going to disarm a circuit breaker if something goes wrong.

Just get a good extension cord and use on a normal outlet or call an electrician.

Top Bottom