• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I Missing Something? Shouldn't the Mafia I Remaster Make Us Optimistic About the Upcoming GTA Trilogy Remasters?

Haggard

Banned
Yeah, cause you're contributing with so much knowledge :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I'm correcting your nonsense.
If it wasn't for people like you dishing out pure stupidity with confidence i'd not write anything at all most of the time.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
You're correcting nothing - cause you're wrong! :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Please go and tell producers like blizzard with d2:r f.e. that only your definition is true and the official one isn't, because you say so. I'm sure your gifs will convince them that you are not just some stupid kid with about 4 hours of YouTube worth of software knowledge.....
Every single remaster ever using a new engine with legacy graphics option now has to be relabeled a remake because some idiot on a board says so......
Maybe if you write them from your imaginary phone which outperforms a PS4 ......

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Please go and tell producers like blizzard that only your definition is true and the official one isn't, because you say so. I'm sure your gifs will convince them.
Every single remaster ever using a new engine with legacy graphics option has to be relabeled a remake now because some idiot on a board days so....
Please tell me more.. Which Blizzard games? Is their remasters running on backwards compatible engines?

coffinbirth

That's the only way you can make a remake!

Think Winnie The Pooh GIF
I've seen you espousing this nonsense up and down this thread. You are wrong. Your definitions are wrong. And your gifs are just making you look stupid, quite frankly.

MiguelItUp

Mafia was a full fledged remake. 2 and 3 however, were remasters.

I don't know what to expect with the GTA remasters, but I will say the bit where they wrote "the games will still maintain the classic look and feel of the originals" made me feel weird. If they're actually remakes, cool, they have my interest! If they're remasters, meh, they lost me.

Though I will admit the price tag and forcing everyone to go through the R* launcher is already gross to me.

That's the only way you can make a remake!

Think Winnie The Pooh GIF
Nope, they could literally remake the game inside the same engine, change assets, characters, gameplay.

Your definition of remake is limited to moving engine which is bizarre. A game can be remade in the same engine if they change story beats, characters and make other sweeping changes to the way the game looks and plays. None of that requires engine migration.

Just because Rockstar are using Unreal 4 doesn’t make the game a remake, it means they are likely porting all of the assets over to a new engine in order to tweak them, I.e a remaster.

If you honestly think Rockstar are remaking these games, you’re just setting yourself up for disappointment. Either way, if you want to believe that moving engine is remaking something that’s fine. Whatever helps you sleep at night buddy.

dyergram

This thing has red flags all over it. First trailer didn't had footage. Old versions will be removed just before launch. They literally ported 3 games to over 5 plattaforms in a little more than 3 years while still doing a engine change in the process made by a just acquired studio. How? It simply doesn't add up
Rockstar started working with ruffian in 2019.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

if it was at least on mafia remake quality everybody would be happy but most expecting not much improvement over 20 years game

Dibils2k

The Mafia remake was great, apart from the 321408234083245082340582305783420 0348509345803485 90348530245803294 0934850394258 43295+04359 30495349934\2042304 235497342957 73457340875 3089475 3425074508 7430 02375340875 bugs in the game.
i'll have you know it was actually 321408234083245082340582305783420 0348509345803485 90348530245803294 0934850394258 43295+04359 30495349934\2042304 235497342957 73457340875 3089475 3425074508 7430 02375340873

EDMIX

I love the Mafia 1 remake, but the whole GTA thing is like a semi-remake of 3 games vs 1 game fully 100% remade, I don't think anyone should have ever even been making that comparison knowing that even the rumor at the time stated they'd come in a collection, as in clearly its not a remake just be hearing that its obvious thats not what GTA trilogy was going to be. (Not for $60 anyway lol)

I think Rockstar North might want to do a remake of GTA 3 or VC themselves vs giving it ot Grove Street.

At the least with something like this we get the best of both worlds.

The remasters for those who want the classics, the semi-remakes for new gamers or those who want to replay them with GTA V controls and better models, lighting etc. If they want to make a remake of GTA 3 in the future, at least we'd have several options so folks can stfu over this shit. So many options exist to play this series now, I'm shocked how many are crying over some shit they don't need to play.

Play the PS2 ones folks if you want it 1.1 and exact
Play the PC mods if you disagree with the remakes
Play the PS3 or PS4 ports if you want some tweaks to performance while keeping the vibe the same with a PS controller
Play the PS4/PS5 remakes if you want GTAV controls with better lighting, models, textures etc

or wait till a better remake comes out of 1 of them as I'm sure when that shit happens, its not going to fucking be no $60 for 3 games, it will be 1 game for $70 and we can see the tears all over again by a different group, like "woooooow how come its not 3 remakes for the price of 1?" and or "OMG they made GTA 3 look like GTA 6 thus ruining da feels, look, vibez" etc. lol Folks will find some shit to cry about.

I'm happy we get anything done with those older games that brings them up to date for many, keeps the old art direction and allows a new generation to play those classics.

K2D

Banned
For people too lazy. Remaster uses same engine. Remake uses new engine.

Edit: GTA: Trilogy DE uses new engine btw...
That would make Blue Point Team Ico games "halfmakes" or "extramasters" seeing they use 1.5 engines (or something)..

Bluecondor

Hey, Bluecondor, how's you GTA Trilogy doing :D?

Perfect thread bump, it aged like worst kind of milk.

LOL - my only defense is that my optimism was based on a (flawed) assumption that the GTA remasters would be on par with the Mafia I remaster/remake.

As the old saying goes, "When we assume, we make an ass of you and me."

Bluecondor

Update: He was in fact missing something.

Ya - I was apparently missing the (very real) likelihood that Rockstar was way more interested in a cheap and low effort cash grab, than actually putting some effort into the remaster like we saw with Mafia I.

I'm the video game equivalent of the kid who believes that his best friend actually has a hot girlfriend who no one has ever met because she "lives in Canada."

Last edited:

Phase

It's alright Bluecondor Bluecondor

We need optimism from time to time, especially this community. Gaming has been rough for so many of us enthusiasts lately that it can become all doom and gloom. Thanks for breaking that up a bit. Plus, situations like this give us all a needed laugh amidst the chaos.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Mafia remake ruined Tommy by making him a rough gangster which he never was. The new music and shooting were terrible too.
but at least it looked good and was a fun game on its own

Top Bottom