• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I the only one more excited for Trails of Reverie over FFXVI?

graywolf323

Compromise Shrug GIF

I’m excited for both

AmuroChan

Yes i am probably the only one...

I loved the Cold Steel arc and Reviere is basically Cold Steel 5.

Sure i am still excited for FF16, but Falcom Is probably my favorite developer. I am playing Trails to Azure now and it is sooo good.

You're not the only one. Trails is my favorite JRPG series. Reverie is my most anticipated game of the year.

Aenima

Before watching the trailer i already knew the game would look like a PS2 game. When is Falcom upgrading they graphics engine? They JRPGs are actually pretty good but they keep making games that look worse than some games i play on my phone.

Only played the 1st Trails of Cold Steel, and did not enjoyed it as mych as Ys8 or even Ys9. And those are action RPGs too.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Yeah because FF15 was so great.
? Why would anyone really count the last FF, to tell them if the next one would be good or not?

I'm not saying FFXV is the best, but we already know FF series is different game by game.

FFXVI is a easy day 1, I hope you like that Trails series as I hope to get into it too one day, but I love what they are doing with FFXVI and I just don't judge future releases, based on stuff like this. What happened during FFXIII Versus / FFXV development wasn't the norm to really try to express this odd concern troll type thing. It sucks that it had a rough development, but this is a different game and a different time. I can only judge FFXVI based on what they are showing me, not from another game that started on PS3 with a host of problems or something.

Kururi

Neo Member
Me too! Final fantasy of today is dead to me, instead of inovating on the roots of the franchise SQE keeps chasing someones shtick.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Isa

I mean any RPG is more exciting than another action game with the Final Fantasy name slapped on it.
You, I like you.
ranma GIF

I'm with you SantaC. I'm far more hyped for anything Trails since I know what to expect, the story is usually consistently great and there are tons of characters and a party or different members I can play with. I am getting FF16, got it preordered but I'm not going to bump other games off my playlist to Day 1 it I think. I'm more excited for Loop8 in June. I'll probably start FF up though and see if I want to stick with it.

Paltheos

Way more excited for Reverie than FF16. Cold Steel 4 was decidedly mixed (things generally being pretty good or awful with not much room inbetween), and the community's pumped up Reverie quite a bit as a return to form.

If it was Kuro i would say yes. I'm tired of Rean.

Supposedly the 3rd character's route is really good though, which I can believe because Falcom's brought on new writers that iirc were mostly tasked with handling the mystery protag-kun.

Route I'm most worried about is Lloyd's tbh. Supposedly Rean route is fine and Lloyd's is not, and I'm kinda inclined to trust the community here. Everything from his redesign to make him resemble Guy more to Tetsuya Kakihara constantly voicing him at an 11/10 on the heroic scale in Cold Steel 4 makes me think Falcom doesn't know what to do with him (or worse, don't care or even understand the character anymore).

Last edited:
Already played it with translation patch.

Considering how absolutely shit FF15 was I don't blame you. And FF16 looks to be even further Westernised.

cireza

I'd rather play any Trails of than FF XVI. But to properly play Trails of series, I would probably have to lose my job and family, ditch my personal projects, and start from the beginning.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

Doom85

I got like 15 hours into Cold Steel 1 and nope’d the fuck out. A really dull cast and story. Combat was fine, but the art design. Like, I could forgive the dated graphics if the world design and such was interesting, but nothing was visually engaging in any way. I also hate the idea of limited exploration of the world and being forced to go back to the same hub a ton. Persona series made this work as the normal town/city life served as a major contrast to the other worlds, but with Trails it just feels like all the same. Not to mention I find the whole magic/military school setting to be generally unappealing to me.

People insisting this will be everyone’s GOAT JRPG series if they “merely” invest hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours into it, and I’m all:

nah i'm good seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I’ll gladly stick to Final Fantasy IX, Persona 4, Chrono Trigger, Tales of the Abyss, etc. as my JRPG favorites.

And yeah, despite a few things about XVI presumably being not to my liking, I’m still really excited for it, far more than any new Trails entry until they choose to truly shake things up.

SantaC

I got like 15 hours into Cold Steel 1 and nope’d the fuck out. A really dull cast and story. Combat was fine, but the art design. Like, I could forgive the dated graphics if the world design and such was interesting, but nothing was visually engaging in any way. I also hate the idea of limited exploration of the world and being forced to go back to the same hub a ton. Persona series made this work as the normal town/city life served as a major contrast to the other worlds, but with Trails it just feels like all the same. Not to mention I find the whole magic/military school setting to be generally unappealing to me.

People insisting this will be everyone’s GOAT JRPG series if they “merely” invest hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours into it, and I’m all:

nah i'm good seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers'm good seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I’ll gladly stick to Final Fantasy IX, Persona 4, Chrono Trigger, Tales of the Abyss, etc. as my JRPG favorites.

And yeah, despite a few things about XVI presumably being not to my liking, I’m still really excited for it, far more than any new Trails entry until they choose to truly shake things up.
15 hours into Cold Steel 1 is nothing. The story gets going in CS2, because they do a lot of world building, characters, intrigues etc.

Doom85

15 hours into Cold Steel 1 is nothing. The story gets going in CS2, because they do a lot of world building, characters, intrigues etc.

disappointed the audacity GIF by Sacramento Kings

Come on, man. Look, if you like Trails, more power to you. But honestly think how off-putting it is to tell people, “you’ll eventually like it! How long will it take? Oh, certainly more than 15 hours. Yes, you heard that right. And really, it’s the SECOND game where things get interesting. What? No, you can’t skip the first game!”

Like, 15 hours is the length of a ton of game, including a few RPGs. If someone isn’t interested in a title after 15 hours, it just ain’t going to happen.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Haven’t played a Trails game but from what I understand they represent the worst aspects of JRPGs, long bland story and trash mobs everywhere.
I quit the first game after a scene where
stepbrother and stepsister accidentally see each other naked at a hot spring and realize they wanna bone each other.

EDMIX

smh, look...I was looking forward to playing the first few games, but this doesn't even sound good, why the fuck would someone need to play beyond 15 hours to get to the good parts, only to then fucking tell me in Part 2 is when the story "gets going" What the actual fuck?

Yea, thats a no for me then.

I was even seeing how much it would cost me to just buy the whole series today and just play it at another time.

tN1wexY.jpg
tN1wexY.jpg
tN1wexY.jpg
fDQUOBR.jpg
ZpvnS5f.jpg

but to hear the story "gets going" in part 2....soooooo thats like telling someone playing a GaaS game that the game gets good after 100 hours or the story gets going after this DLC purchase, its a whole fucking game away before the story moves forward and someone is suppose to give a fuck more about this then FFXVI, a story that is complete like the past FFs?

This just sounds like they are milking the shit out of the IP and be like "After CS7, the story REALLY gets going in CS9"

what about CS8 sir?

"Dream sequence, the wake up is on CS9 where things REALLY get going" lol

That doesn't sound like fun, the first game must still have value, it must still actually be a good story and worth it, not merely some intro to game 2 or something as it makes some of those titles sound like filler or something. I'll take a look at the series another time, but for this year, its a complete skip.

Last edited:
Top Bottom