• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

am i the only one that wanted cyberpunk 2077 to be more darker/mature ?

samoilaaa

I know that not all cyberpunk media must have the same tone as bladerunner , but it feels like this game is just too childish in terms of atmosphere and sometimes in writing too

Some characters act like some fucking fake mexican gangsters , like in the 22 jump street movie

It does feel like Phantom liberty will that mature conspiracy/political tone

StueyDuck

It was definitely too edgy in a prepubescent adolescent way... the tone their original trailer had was still what I would want if you were giving me the reins of development.

It's a night and day difference to what we got.

Last edited:

Crayon

Well... shit I never really thought about it like that. I loved cyberpunk. But now that you mention it, you're right. Well I guess we can't know what it would heve....

It was definitely too edgy in a prepubescent adolescent way... the tone their original trailer had was still what I would want if you were giving me the reins of development.

Well... SHIT. That would have been so much cooler. I can't believe this. I think you guys spoiled the game a bit for me.

The fuck is this?
images

Yep. Always be thinking of what could have been now.

The world needed to be cold and brutal. Akin to how machine like it has become.

Instead we meet a warm buddy at the beginning. Dropped it at 5 hrs mark.

Last edited:

TastyPastry

dude yes 100%
i love the game but the game has the tone of a b-movie and not in a good way. everyone seems to like takemura but i hated his japanese accent, it felt soo cliche. everyone is edgy all the time including V. the love interests are of course very agressive and non feminine at first until they warm up to you. it's so overplayed. the sad thing is that there is so much cyberpunk material out there which cdpr could take inspiration from yet they didn't. compare how beauitful and weird (and totally cyberpunk) the romance with the AI companion in blade runner 2049 was compared to the ones in cyberpunk.

HL3.exe

It's tonally 80's edgy noire by design, because the pen and paper game came from a specific time. So a lot of fears from that era are still present in Cyberpunk's world, like the tech/corporate fear of Asia/Japan, or that technology is gonna destroy us instead of helping. Some of these theme's can be still relevant, replacing Japan with China for instance. The writing can feel corny which it definitely did for me (especially the slang), but a lot of it is by design.

The writing was really mature in a lot of ways though. The way it dealt with loss, suicide and trauma was respectfully done. (Saying this as someone who has encountered these situations in real life). People who try to survive in such a bleak future. Themes of 'fatalism' and 'what's really meaningful in life', and exploring that through building relationships.

Last edited:

Geralt

Neo Member
Yes, I agree.
I didn't know the Cyberpunk "franchise" before, and I was led to believe by the 2013 trailer that it was some sort of Blade Runner dystopian future.

Then the first gameplay trailer was so colorful and cartoony that killed my interest (I finished the game two years later though).

SJRB

Gold Member
The game has quite a lot of very dark moments and missions, but there is bit of a tonal mismatch with the "yolo party all the time they see me rolling they hating" vibes from especially the first half of the game.

I mean, the Peralez mission alone was some of the most fucked up shit, but there are plenty other missions that deal with murder, human trafficking, drug abuse and overdose, physical and mental abuse, organ trafficking, extreme gang violence, kidnapping, suicide. The list goes on.

It's a pretty grim game if you look through the facade, which was probably by design. The more you look for it, the more fucked up Night City becomes.

samoilaaa

the 1st trailer had the perfect atmosphere

samoilaaa

The game has quite a lot of very dark moments and missions, but there is bit of a tonal mismatch with the "yolo party all the time they see me rolling they hating" vibes from especially the first half of the game.

I mean, the Peralez mission alone was some of the most fucked up shit, but there are plenty other missions that deal with murder, human trafficking, drug abuse and overdose, physical and mental abuse, organ trafficking, extreme gang violence, kidnapping, suicide. The list goes on.

It's a pretty grim game if you look through the facade, which was probably by design. The more you look for it, the more fucked up Night City becomes.
well thats the thing , the game has those dark gritty events happening in a world that doesnt look like it fits those events

its like saying beverly hills has some of the most dangerous neighbourhoods

Last edited:
Well the original is pretty much copy past california vibe. I think what people think of when they hear cyberpunk, is movies like bladerunner where everything is dark and gritty and no daylight. But as far as source material, they did it right.

Gorgon

Given that the game gets most of its inspiration from the pen & paper RPG in its second edition form (first edition had a somewhat different tone), I should have known better. Major dissapointment. The gameplay itself was also a dissapointment for me personally. Played for about 6-8 hours and gave up. For comparison, I absolutely loved The Witcher, especially The Witcher 3. Luckily I bought CB2077 on sale. Ain't buying the next ones.

Hoping for a new Deus Ex instead. Even better, gimme an action RPG based on Ghost in The Shell (the two movies and GITS 1&2 only).

samoilaaa

Given that the game gets most of its inspiration from the pen & paper RPG in its second edition form (first edition had a somewhat different tone), I should have known better. Major dissapointment. The gameplay itself was also a dissapointment for me personally. Played for about 6-8 hours and gave up. For comparison, I absolutely loved The Witcher, especially The Witcher 3. Luckily I bought CB2077 on sale. Ain't buying the next ones.

Hoping for a new Deus Ex instead. Even better, gimme an action RPG based on Ghost in The Shell (the two movies and GITS 1&2 only).
im waiting for a new deus ex aswell but i dont know if embracer has devs capable of delivering a proper sequel

ungalo

It's not the first time i read this and as usual i completely disagree. I feel like it tackles the themes of postmodernism very well, and in a more grounded and credible manner than most cyberpunk works that blend with a neo-noir atmosphere, trying to estheticize everything about the world.

The disenchantment and mediocrity is well depicted in Cyberpunk. I don't feel a game that makes you powerless like that from beginning to end can be described as immature or not dark enough, comparatively the last Deus Ex are just about unraveling a conspiracy and saving the world lol. I think in that case what seems mature isn't and the opposite is also true.

I'm not even going to talk about what you can find in the shards, but you can tell people who wrote the game are not children.

Last edited:

Hugare

Have you seen any day scene in Blade Runner?

Its hard to pull off the "mature/dark" cyberpunk tone with a day and night cycle. Thats why most cyberpunk media is set during the night. Games, movies, etc.

Some of the voice acting, specially with accents, are also corny in TW 3. Even worse there, honestly. Its the studio that they always hire, I dont know.

I liked the "everything looks fine on the surface but its dark af when you look deeper" thing they had going for it.

Evelyn Parker's storyline is dark af. And there are tons of sidequests that deals with some heavy subjects.

Irobot82

It's not the first time i read this and as usual i completely disagree. I feel like it tackles the themes of postmodernism very well, and in a more grounded and credible manner than most cyberpunk works that blend with a neo-noir atmosphere, trying to estheticize everything about the world.

The disenchantment and mediocrity is well depicted in Cyberpunk. I don't feel a game that makes you powerless like that from beginning to end can be described as immature or not dark enough, comparatively the last Deus Ex are just about unraveling a conspiracy and saving the world lol. I think in that case what seems mature isn't and the opposite is also true.

I'm not even going to talk about what you can find in the reading shards, but you can tell people who wrote the game are not children.
The lore told through the shards and the side missions, doesn't match the open world.

Wildebeest

Blade Runner has always been a box office flop as a franchise. Most people just find it too boring and lacking the stupidity they require to live.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I wish it was more like the Anime. They really sanitized the sexual/body horror/post humanism part of the cyberpunk genre in the game. Which is something the Anime really nailed. But overall, the biggest problem with 2077 for me was forced first person perspective in an RPG where you are supposed to define an identity for your character. It will always be a dumb decision especially since their First Person cutscenes and sex scenes are terrible and not worth it.

Like, the cyberpunk mythos is supposed to be a smutty oversexualized dystopian nightmare like it appears in even the first episode of the Anime. The braindances in the game are boring in comparison to the insanity of the show, the clothing and art style is very....bland, and the world just seems like it is filled with cosplay posers and "Edgy" posters.

Honestly if they had gone with a more "Stylized realism" art style I think it would have been better as well. Its like they could not figure out of they wanted to go full blade runner or stay true to cyberpunks "Sci-fi 80's out of control" roots. As much as I like Keanu I kind of wonder if getting him to play Johnny ruined the game in the long run as the CDPR seemed to force him on you whenever possible.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
CP is already plenty dark for me. Its bright visage just masks the shadows underneath. It also shows a sharp contrast of this bright neon colored city when what really happens inside is exploitation pushed to the limit.

I don't think I would enjoy CP when everything is dark. That's too bleak.

Tokio Blues

I prefer this cyberpunk. We have Deus Ex for something more darker or mature.

Also there are some quest that are very darker, I dont think that is childish in any sense.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
The world needed to be cold and brutal. Akin to how machine like it has become.

Instead we meet a warm buddy at the beginning. Dropped it at 5 hrs mark.
It becomes very cold and brutal by the end of the game. The game ends with the city chewing you up and spitting you out. It's leaves you feeling empty inside and is pretty much perfect.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It would be cool, but I think Cyberpunk was great as it was. Maybe a different darker tale in the same universe would be cool. Like if you were a cop trying to solve a case about a serial killer in the same setting.

Basically, give me The Condemned in a cyberpunk universe and we might have the best game ever.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Fair enough, at times the writing can be sort of corny and over the top. But I see it like, all these gangbangers are bored and disillusioned, and are cosplaying as tough guys so they can feel some kind of tribal connection and feel like they have a role to play. Sort of like the Proud Boys lol.

I think they did a pretty damn good job with the atmosphere. Not EVERY single scene needs to be dark and gritty and depressing.

It’s supposed to be a world where every earthly pleasure (including other people’s recorded experiences) can be had as a cheap commodity, yet where people struggle to find any meaning, purpose, or connection in their lives. Sort of like living in an amusement park where everything is artificial and it’s overcrowded, filthy, and crime ridden.

When you really think about it, that’s a lot more dreadful and terrifying than just some grimdark fantasy setting.

I fucking love Blade Runner but not every cyberpunk setting needs to be an exact copy of Blade Runner. In fact I’d say Cyberpunk 2077 is a lot more similar in tone to “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep” (novel that Blade Runner is based on) than it is to the Blade Runner film.

ungalo

Not EVERY single scene needs to be dark and gritty and depressing.
I mean, after the prologue it's almost always very dark and depressing so i don't really understand how people come up with that idea. Like do you know any questline in the game where you actually achieve something notable ? Judy, the sinnerman, the Peralez, River questline...only the nomads and Johnny's band questline are a little warmer.

What, it's because we see the sun and people are yelling that the game is not dark ?

Roni

Gold Member
well thats the thing , the game has those dark gritty events happening in a world that doesnt look like it fits those events

its like saying beverly hills has some of the most dangerous neighbourhoods
How's that that much different from the world we live in today? People are still stoned alive, imprisoned and tortured extrajudicially, human trafficking is still a thing but most humans carry on as if the world is A OK.

Cyberpunk is supposed to be a mirror of society and that's exactly what they achieved: you don't skip lunch or a party because of what's fundamentally wrong with the world.

That's the same for denizens in Night City: sure, corps are bad, but I still want my black lace dose and I need to pay the bills this month or the corp evicts me.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I mean, after the prologue it's almost always very dark and depressing so i don't really understand how people come up with that idea. Like do you know any questline in the game where you actually achieve something notable ? Judy, the sinnerman, the Peralez, River questline...only the nomads and Johnny's band questline are a little warmer.

What, it's because we see the sun and people are yelling that the game is not dark ?
Yeah I guess the entire thing needs to look like film noir and every line of dialog needs to be deadly serious.

MiguelItUp

Nah, I definitely wanted that, I'm sure a lot of people did. I went in expecting more of that vibe, and I felt like what we got we a very watered down version of that. Hell, I feel like the anime (from what I've heard and seen) goes into it a bit more than the game did.

The game had some edge to it, but I just felt like the flow of everything just felt off. Lacking in confidence, etc.

Braag

At least give examples. I mean I felt the game was almost too dark in some cases.

Your character dies in the prologue of the game and is "alive" due to Johnny's engram in your head, which is slowly erasing you and taking over is kinda dark in itself. And the fact that there's literally no way in the game to stop it except for offing yourself. Also one ending where you can let Arasaka take your engram and store it away like owning your soul in a sense.
Then there was the whole snuff braindance squence and Evelyn getting repeatedly raped and tortured and despite saving her she was too mentally broken and kills herself.
Side quest where you nail a clearly mentally unstable prisoner to a cross because some studio wants to make money from the braindance. Or River's side quest where you stop a serial killer that hooks up kids like cattle in his farm. Another where a councilman running for mayor has unknowingly a secret room in his house where he is supervised and signs point to rogue AIs in some way and his wife knowing more than letting on.

I mean there was plenty dark shit in the game which really makes you think wtf is going on.

Fredrik

At least give examples. I mean I felt the game was almost too dark in some cases.

Your character dies in the prologue of the game and is "alive" due to Johnny's engram in your head, which is slowly erasing you and taking over is kinda dark in itself. And the fact that there's literally no way in the game to stop it except for offing yourself. Also one ending where you can let Arasaka take your engram and store it away like owning your soul in a sense.
Then there was the whole snuff braindance squence and Evelyn getting repeatedly raped and tortured and despite saving her she was too mentally broken and kills herself.
Side quest where you nail a clearly mentally unstable prisoner to a cross because some studio wants to make money from the braindance. Or River's side quest where you stop a serial killer that hooks up kids like cattle in his farm. Another where a councilman running for mayor has unknowingly a secret room in his house where he is supervised and signs point to rogue AIs in some way and his wife knowing more than letting on.

I mean there was plenty dark shit in the game which really makes you think wtf is going on.
Yeah I had issues with some of it, but CDPR isn’t known to make ”everybody lives happily ever after” stories so I was kinda prepared for it.

Romancing and being together with Panam by the end until you eventually get erased is as far you can get when it comes to a good ending. Still dark.

Top Bottom