• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I the only one who sucks in the Charactereditor?

Neo_GAF

Banned
Hey there,

this has been on my mind for a while, of not forever:
I remember friends of mine sinking hours into tuning their characters in fable, baldus gate, planescape torment are any game where you are able to name your character, have a backstory or the ethnicity or pretty much everything you can tweak and select about YOUR ALTER EGO.

i simply find this disgusting. the moment i see this, the moment i dislike the game.

i want my super cool looking hero, i want to have a clear path.

i dont want to create something only to find it disgusting at the very beginning of the game.
i came across this phenomena already at the end of the 90s and i have been avoiding this like the plague at any time. when i found out i have to design my inkling in splatoon, i have let my little sister take over. i cant sit through this shit. i just want to play with a cool character.

also i dont see the purpose in "creating" a character, which is as ugly as me IRL. i play videogames to escape reality, and not to think "hurr, that is me who is in this game, awesome".

my friends think this is a thing between J-RPGs and West-RPGs, since most western rpgs have character editors, while japanese games always come with some androgyn 15year old destined hero.

so yea, looking for some very smart analysis from the smartest board on the internet.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
200.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don't know if I actively hate character creators like you seem to, but I definitely find myself always just going with whatever default male character it pops up with. I'll only tweak my character in extremely minor ways, and only ever if the default is just straight up fugly or weird looking.

I think that just makes me boring though.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Character creators are pretty damn boring, I'd prefer a stock of well-made characters to pick from.

I love (A)D&D but I hate lengthy character creation. Later editions like trash 5e have made that part so much worse, by focusing on this aspect over a more classic & death-heavy roguelike approach to the game.

Best way to create a character is roll the attributes, quickly read those like tea leaves to infer a couple things about you (eg., what kind of personality has high charisma but low intelligence?) and then start adventuring. Screw all the "I need a deeply personalized backstory and I'll be emotionally attached to my character" nonsense.

Fbh

This made me remember when Larian got a bit salty about the average Baldur's Gate 3 character looking like this:

news_hotfix.0.png

So clearly there's plenty of people that don't want to spend an hour making some super unique character
(IMO it also gives you some interesting data about the actual target audience of these types games, but that's a topic for another thread)

my friends think this is a thing between J-RPGs and West-RPGs, since most western rpgs have character editors, while japanese games always come with some androgyn 15year old destined hero.

The main character in FFXVI doesn't look like and androgynous 15 years old.
Also Nioh 2 has one of the best character creators in modern gaming IMO (I think there's some Korean MMO's which are even more detailed though)

Last edited:

Neilg

i usually try and make them look as horrific as possible, which is funny for a bit and then gets a bit annoying in cutscenes later on. but by the time i pick up the next game i've forgotten about that so i do it all over again.
my mass effect shepherd looked like he wasnt allowed within 5 miles of any schools

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
also i dont see the purpose in "creating" a character, which is as ugly as me IRL. i play videogames to escape reality, and not to think "hurr, that is me who is in this game, awesome".
I try to create beautiful female chars. Why would I want to look to ugly chars?

Last edited:
i typically just go default or randomize a few times, maybe check a few premade faces if avail, maybe ill scrub through a couple hairstyles and skin tone to match my own, but the less time spent in a character editor the better. too many options and details is just nauseating bloat.

I'd much rather a predefined pool of characters to choose from.

at that point though a company would probably just spend the money to make a character creator than waste time making a few dozen.

additionally thered be outrage by people for omitting/ including certain features. "omg, how dare they x/y/z! This company is blank-ist" etc. character creator eliminates MOST of that drama.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I love character creators, but I suck ass at them.
D8TTC.gif

It's physically impossible to make a character as handsome as myself.

I just wait until someone posts a character they made I think looks good and copy their settings. Easy.

I'm too old to want to spend hours in a character creator anymore, I just want to start playing the fucking game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love character creators, but I suck ass at them.
D8TTC.gif

It's physically impossible to make a character as handsome as myself.
dio-brando.gif

Kev Kev

When it comes to altering the physical dimensions of their face, I usually just don’t. Other wise they wind up looking like Gollum or some other monstrosity. I enjoy changing other features though, but I usually just work off one of the presets rather than trying to sculpt anything.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I make the most interesting / attractive characters. Always different; different ethnicities, different body types. Usually chicks though, if I'm being honest.

My favorite part of the game is probably cc lol

Whenever I'm confronted with a character creator I'm always eager to create one that fits within the narrative. If there's a default model then that's usually what I'll rock, otherwise I'll try to make it look like somebody who would fit in.

kicker

Banned
any game where you are able to name your character, have a backstory or the ethnicity or pretty much everything you can tweak and select about YOUR ALTER EGO.
I don't understand what you mean. Are you talking about the visual part of rpg character creation, or the stat choices, or both?
And if its' the visual part, are you annoyed at people making characters that look like themselves? Or just characters that look ugly in a game?
Even more confusing. The essence of roleplaying is to get a super cool looking hero. Except not just a generic one. One *you* chose. One that looks exactly as cool as you want in the exact ways you want. I don't mean one that looks like you.

If my cool character is a bow-wielding mage who summons and likes the colour blue, and yours is a large shirtless tank who twohands an axe with a scar on his chest due to the shirtlessness, why shouldn't we both be able to make those cool characters exactly how we want them?

And if you don't want to tinker, most of the newer rpgs usually have presets to choose from
i dont want to create something only to find it disgusting at the very beginning of the game
Again, please define disgusting. If a game engine has ugly charcater models, then removing the character creator won't help much.

This is really confusing to me

Last edited:

Evolved1

BTW devs could easily solve the problems with people who suck at CC by allowing a section where popular community character uploads are available to browse. Let people like me who create dozens and dozens of awesome characters easily share them with everyone. Instead they have that stupid randomizer that produces ill-omened creatures.

Griffon

That feeling when the character you spent hours making at the start turns out to look bad once ingame...

Last edited:

Evolved1

Also, devs really fucking generally suck at using their own tools to create the presets. I'm continually amazed at how fucking horrid their work is. I wonder if it's actually an inside joke in the industry.

Spaceman292

Banned
Hey there,

this has been on my mind for a while, of not forever:
I remember friends of mine sinking hours into tuning their characters in fable, baldus gate, planescape torment are any game where you are able to name your character, have a backstory or the ethnicity or pretty much everything you can tweak and select about YOUR ALTER EGO.

i simply find this disgusting. the moment i see this, the moment i dislike the game.

i dont want to create something only to find it disgusting at the very beginning of the game.
i came across this phenomena already at the end of the 90s and i have been avoiding this like the plague at any time. when i found out i have to design my inkling in splatoon, i have let my little sister take over. i cant sit through this shit. i just want to play with a cool character.

so yea, looking for some very smart analysis from the smartest board on the internet.
You're crazy

I spend very little time within character editors. it just always seems like a waste of time, I never see their face most of the time anyway.

My wife on the other hand will spend hours in a character editor before playing the game, only to find out she doesn’t like the game. Bitches be crazy. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I typically just try to make a character that looks reasonably close to a cooler version of myself and get on with it.

The worst was frikkin Forza Horizon 5 stupid woke character creator. Oh yeah here's fifteen different types of prosthetic limbs and hearing aids you can give your character but you can't give them a fucking beard.

Last edited:

lyan

The coolest character I have seen in entirety of gaming is in PSO2 where someone made his character look like a refrigerator, so I think these systems deserves a place in games.

LastBattle

I used to spend at least 30mins creating a character only to be bitterly disappointed with the outcome. They never look the
Same/as good in Game as they do when creating. Not to mention a bastardised version of myself .

Nowadays I use random generation, or more often than not, the default as typically they are designed to be pleasing enough to look at. Plus I just want to get started with the game already!

cireza

Banned
I really like it when there is a good character creator and great integration in cutscenes. It was the case in Code Vein, best one so far. But Wo Long is also quite excellent in that regard and your own character looks awesome in the cutscenes. PSO2NG is also worth mentioning.

I also liked creating my parties in D&D on MegaDrive and AD&D on SEGA-CD. Both great games.

Never liked it in Souls-like though, the character creator sucks in these games.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

1. look up a picture of Shrek
2. attempt to recreate Shrek in-game
3. you are now god of character creators
4. create guides on how to make Shrek in certain games
5. monetize those guides
6. buy europe

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I always make the most butt-ugly freak I can. I’m a simple man. Make a dopey looking toon and name them something like “my wiener” and I am amused for hours.

I really appreciate character creators filled with different options, the latest Souls games in particular are very good in that regard, and one of the collest things is that you can share recipes and people can make the same or improve that character Nioh 2 is also pretty dope and even allow you to share codes online, this sorta of thing is great because i'm horrible making characters 😂, thanks to that i even manage to create Kratos on Elden Ring last year.

Knightime_X

I spend too much time making a character.
Starts out trying to look decent.
Then I end up trying to make her smashable. >_>

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I hate them because they are my daughters favorite part of any game and she will spend forever making her character.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I love em, I usually go out of my way to create a character that's going to make me laugh every time I look at them. People who make characters look like they do come off as narcissistic to me, while folks who try to make hot women are definitely weirdo weebs, and those who want their characters to look "cool" probably love Michael Bay movies.

Give me a character that'll make me giggle every minute or so of gameplay and I'm a happy fuckin camper. Besides, they're games man.... they're for fun, they sure as shit ain't serious business.

Esca

I like them very much and will spend a long time making my character. I don't mind pre made characters as long as they don't look something you want turn the head piece on to not see their ugly ass faces. Sadly that's been the way it's been happening lately. Everyone deserves some digital eye candy

Top Bottom