• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon’s gaming division is laying off over 100 employees

Draugoth

Gold Member
Fs9daYiXwAQohCZ

Amazon has announced plans to cut over 100 employees from its video games division.

In a memo to staff obtained by CNBC, Amazon Games vice president Christoph Hartmann said the layoffs would be spread across the company’s Game Growth group, its San Diego development studio, and Prime Gaming.

Some employees will also be reassigned to other projects “that match our strategic focus“, he said.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Which publishers are they going to buy?
Their attempt at starting their own studios is not working out.
Amazon Gaming seems completely aimless and I think they've only been relatively successful with one of their own games. Then they were the publisher of Ark. I wouldn't be surprised if they quit gaming completely tomorrow.

feynoob

Banned
Amazon Gaming seems completely aimless and I think they've only been relatively successful with one of their own games. Then they were the publisher of Ark. I wouldn't be surprised if they quit gaming completely tomorrow.
Don't think Amazon will quit gaming.
They have twitch. Plus Luna is their future system.

They aren't Google who will shut down their business. I can see them spending huge money on EA, Ubisoft or take 2.

phant0m

unlike some other companies, Amazon usually doesn't hit it and quit it when something doesn't go their way after 18 months. NW struggled after launch but is a pretty decent game at this point. It's also not monitized to hell and very fair to players. Lost Ark is even more successful (and is monitized to hell) so I don't see them leaving the space anytime soon, if ever. Plus, they're publishing Blue Protocol this year which I suspect is also going to do very well.

Honestly most corporate workforces are pretty bloated. Just because they're doing layoffs doesn't mean the division is failing.

So far it's 0-4 win-loss for cloud gaming services.

5 years ago there was a trend about how the hardware in front of your TV was doomed or something and all third-party companies would have their own subscription service. Looks like that was just a dream.

Top Bottom