• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon/Amy Sherman-Palladino pilot "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" out March 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

iWQvaEE.jpg

WYh4Ndk.jpg

RvJCK8U.jpg

Set in the 1950s, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel centers on Miriam ‘Midge’ Maisel (Brosnahan), a 25-year-old sharp, sunny, energetic and absolutely adorable Jewish girl married and living with her husband and two children in NYC. A woman of her time, Midge is a dutiful daughter and a cheerleader of a wife to a man who, though he has a good job in his father’s company, sadly harbors delusional dreams of a stand-up comedy career. One day, Midge’s perfect life blows up when her husband leaves her for another woman. Completely unprepared, Midge suddenly finds herself at sea with only her wit to help her build a brand new life for herself. She goes on to become one of the first female standup comics.

Sherman-Palladino wrote and directed the pilot and executive produces with Dan Palladino.

Starring:

Rachel Brohasnah
Tony Shalhoub
Michael Zegen
Alex Borstein
Marin Hinkle

Reviews:

AV Club: A- "Amy Sherman-Palladino’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel pilot lives up to its title"

Slate: "Amid a Slew of Lackluster Amazon Pilots, Amy Sherman-Palladino’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Is a Knockout"

The Guardian: The Marvellous Mrs Maisel: from the writer of Gilmore Girls, with brazen nods to Mad Men

"This tale of a 50s New York Jewish housewife breaking out from her marriage is a twinkling star in Amazon’s pilot season"

Entertainment Weekly: B+

Business Insider: The creator of 'Gilmore Girls' is back with a new Amazon show and it's going to be your latest obsession

Really excited for this!

Peru

Amy's always written scripts as if they were 50s Hollywood screwball comedies.. now she's actually making one, it seems. I'm in.

anaron

Amy's always written scripts as if they were 50s Hollywood screwball comedies.. now she's actually making one, it seems. I'm in.
I can't wait to see what she does with the series visually. Shooting in 1950's New York is probably gonna bring out something amazing from ASP

daffy

Banned
I really, really liked Bunheads so I'll check this out, but the setting and background doesn't sound promising.

anaron

Vanity Fair: Amy Sherman-Palladino explains her marvelous new show

Joan Rivers may be gone, but her spirit lives on in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel—a remarkable pilot that premieres on Amazon Friday. The show charts the improbable journey of one Miriam “Midge” Maisel (House of Cards alum Rachel Brosnahan), a perfect 50s housewife who seems to have everything—until her life implodes in a spectacular way. After the fall, though, Midge discovers a secret talent she never dreamed she might have: a knack for stand-up comedy.

The potential series comes from the mind of Amy Sherman-Palladino, the writer and producer best known as the engine behind Gilmore Girls. It’s an ideal marriage of creator and subject. Sherman-Palladino and her husband/creative partner Dan Palladino’s signature rat-a-tat dialogue is a natural fit for the screwball 50s, as are their frequent collaborators Alex Borstein and Bailey De Young, both of whom appear in supporting roles—De Young as another housewife, Borstein as a hard-charging, Sue Mengers–esque talent spotter. (Also, now that they’re on a streaming network, the Sherman-Palladinos can swear—which their characters do, occasionally with relish.)

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh totally missed this thread. Yes, I'm in of course. Love Amy and Dan. Love that they brought Bailey in too, of the Bunheads girls she certainly had that Palladino energy and delivery down best.

Heard good things from people who've read the script/seen it early.

Linkura

Consider me interested. I'll check it out. It looks like it's already available on Amazon US. Will watch tomorrow.

Can someone tell me why Amy Sherman-Palladino has to do Amazon's dumb ass pilot season but David E. Kelley and Mathew Weiner get straight-to-series orders?

anaron

Can someone tell me why Amy Sherman-Palladino has to do Amazon's dumb ass pilot season but David E. Kelley and Mathew Weiner get straight-to-series orders?
I know right?! Such BS.

Kate Aurthur rightfully called that shit out.

Didn't they also make Jill Soloway go through it after Transparent with her new show?

anaron

The Guardian: The Marvellous Mrs Maisel: from the writer of Gilmore Girls, with brazen nods to Mad Men

"This tale of a 50s New York Jewish housewife breaking out from her marriage is a twinkling star in Amazon’s pilot season"

Why you’ll love it: It is pilot season on Amazon, a time for wild experimentation and the emergence of bold new work in one-off tryouts that may or may not result in a series. While the streaming service’s latest batch are hit and miss, one shining star twinkles brightly. The Marvellous Mrs Maisel comes from the smoking keyboard of Amy Sherman-Palladino, she of Gilmore Girls fame.

While the dialogue is sometimes a little too in love with Jewish cliche, Sherman-Palladino is a force of nature when it comes to driving a scene from A to B, tap-dancing as she goes. The combination of her banging dialogue and the utterly winning charm of Brosnahan gives this one the edge over the other shows competing for Amazon’s dollar.

so how does this work? We have to watch it and give it a high rating in the hopes that one day it gets picked up for a series? is it likely that will happen?

not sure I wanna watch a pilot and wait so long for the rest but if views help its cause then I'll check it out.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
so how does this work? We have to watch it and give it a high rating in the hopes that one day it gets picked up for a series? is it likely that will happen?

not sure I wanna watch a pilot and wait so long for the rest but if views help its cause then I'll check it out.

Yeah basically. I'd say this has a high chance of getting picked up given that Amy is involved and that it's getting good buzz. I don't imagine there would be a huge wait if everyone is serious about making this happen. Maybe 8-9 months?

Linkura

Gilbert Gottfried
/10

Hope he shows up somewhere and it isn't just a cameo. :( I really wish he was in more things. Apparently according to wiki, he gets steady work, just nothing of real note. :(

Otherwise A++ episode would watch the whole series. Left it very positive feedback.

mm04

Hmm I like the era look and Rachel Brosnahan. It'll be nice to see her on a show where she isn't
murdered
or a show that gets canceled. Manhattan had such promise, but alas...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

It's all very nebulous. Generally, if something gets a lot of acclaim and Amazon execs like it, then it's all but guaranteed a season order. If it gets underwhelming critical notices but is highly rated (and watched) by a lot of fans, then there's also a chance it'll get an order.

I will say that Mrs. Maisel seems to be far and away the critical favorite of this batch of pilots, and a lot of people have watched it so far, so that bodes well for its future.

It's all very nebulous. Generally, if something gets a lot of acclaim and Amazon execs like it, then it's all but guaranteed a season order. If it gets underwhelming critical notices but is highly rated (and watched) by a lot of fans, then there's also a chance it'll get an order.

I will say that Mrs. Maisel seems to be far and away the critical favorite of this batch of pilots, and a lot of people have watched it so far, so that bodes well for its future.

To note, IIRC, Transparent was the worst rated of the pilots in its batch, and mostly got picked up based on it's acclaim. But it did go on to win Amazon an Emmy, which is what they wanted out of it.

This shit is Fire. I loved it. Rachel is super cute and she nails her role and her husband in a prick. Gotfried! a Lenny Bruce character. Everything is fantastic.

anaron

So firstly, fuck Amazon Canada and the pilot season not being available here. I was finally just able to watch this today after desperately trying to find a way to this past week.

Holy shit that was good. I need, need episode 2 ASAP.

anaron

I'm so in love with with this show already. Midge, Susie, The setting, the explicitly darker edge this allows ASP. They need to hurry up and order it to series already

FUCK

Slime

Banned
Awesome!

It was a great pilot. It felt a bit weird watching an ASP show with a more cinematic/modern TV vibe (it took a while to adjust to something without the staginess of GG/Bunheads) , but I'm completely on board. The show looks amazing visually, Rachel Brosnahan is incredible, and there are all sorts of storylines and situations ASP can pull out of this time period, setting and set-up. Can't believe we're already guaranteed 2 seasons of this!

Fuck yeah, Amazon.

Futureman

My GF and I binged on GG last November and finished it super quick.

We checked this out last night and really enjoyed it. Rachel Brosnahan is a fabulous actress, don't think I've ever seen her in anything.

wonder how long this will take to get season one?

Kyuur

Finally got around to watching this with my fiancee. We marathoned GG earlier this year/last year and this definitely gave me the same vibe. Can't wait for the first season.

Slime

Banned
My Google Alerts finally went off with a worthwhile update!

From an interview with one of the writers, Jen Kirkman:

I was a writer on an Amazon show “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” it’s going to come out in December. It’s loosely based on the concept of Joan Rivers’ career, but it’s not about Joan. It’s about a woman in 1958 who, after her husband leaves her, becomes a stand-up comic and she starts out in the village underground scene.

Not an official announcement or anything, but at least a good sign it's starting soon-ish.

Other then the Tick (which was pretty great) this was the other show i really wanted to see from Amazon. Looks like November will be a good time for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom