• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Games may have its first hit. New World eclipses 200k concurrent players...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The MMORPG New World has already surpassed 200k concurrent players and it's still in closed beta.

The MMO guru Asmondgold shares his criticisms here...

As with any multiplayer game, month 3, month 12, and month 24 are what really matter. It will be interesting to see how this game holds up to the test of time, but it seems to be off to a great start.

Last edited:

Hawk269

I am loving it so far. I am not a big MMO player, been playing for FF and Elder Scrolls, but this one is really clicking with me. I really hope they add in full controller support (native) with menu icons etc....even though I have a high end rig, I rarely play anything with mouse/keyboard...I am more of a controller person. That aside, the game so far has been really good and I love the crafting and gathering aspects. Like any MMO some of the fetch quest has that "been there, done that" feel, but even with that I am pretty impressed with it.

This game went from zero interest to being there day 1 on release for me.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

reinking

Gold Member
I watched some streams and it kind of convinced me not to get it right now. It looks like I would get bored a week into it.

CitizenZ

Banned
Its basically exactly what I have been saying what AC should be(they finally heard) ever since origins. That being said, its just another AC RPG that does not have near enough content, enemy, weapon or build types. It will have legs for 2 weeks and then people will be bored. It has huge potential but I see this release as another big $$$ game that is still in beta.

Brofist

The thirst for a good new MMO is real. Nothing wrong with WoW classic or FFXIV but it would be nice to have a new experience.

F in chat for all those EVGA FTW 3090s.
Well they are replacing them so at least there's that.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Any more impressions? I'm considering this. I haven't dipped my toes into an mmo since guild wars 2 first came out. How is everybody liking it?

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I want to want to play this game but all of the streams I watched look repetitive and samey. Someone that played it convince me otherwise.

Fredrik

The timing on that article is something else, look a the steamdb graph now, it’s like they hit the peak exactly when the article was written.
199QPd5.jpg

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

A game glorifying conquistadors. I'm surprised it hasn't been canceled yet. 😂
It doesn't "glorify" conquistadors. As far as I can tell the story is about ship wrecking on a mysterious island and fighting some corruption thing that is making zombies and shit. There is magic in the game lmao.

Hari Seldon

People were hyped to try it, played it for a while, realized the progress doesn't carry over into the full game, and stopped playing. Just how it goes.
Yeah that is what I did. I'm super hyped for release but I didn't want to play it over other games right now since the progress doesn't matter.

Shubh_C63

Yeah I am definitely buying this at launch or maybe weeks later. A mindless grindy game i can pick anytime is what I want currently.

supernova8

Banned
Asmongold ffs. He's definitely one of the more annoying youtubers/streamers. The way he keeps exaggerating his eyebrow movements constantly is just too much for me.

U Know Flirt GIF by Wimbledon
eyebrow GIF
Game Eyebrow GIF
Kumail Nanjiani Smile GIF

edit: I've been made aware it's a tick ... yeah I guess I feel for him but it's still fatally annoying. I suppose his over the top reactions (not that he's unique at all for being over the top of course) sort of compensate for the eyebrows.

Last edited:
I played a few hours and thought it was pretty good but no point going wild when progress gets wiped before release.

It felt somehow modern and old fashioned at the same time. Like a classic mmorpg but more manageable. The PvP was good like DAOC or something.

It has potential but I bet that opinions will be very split once it releases.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I have 133 hrs into the beta. It's a great game if you like open world pvp and being a part of a consistent war. The story isn't spoon fed to you like in other MMOs and it's more about the conflict the community creates between factions more so than the story that draws you in.

The combat is loosely based on Souls games and like Souls games balance of weapons and builds for PVP is an ever evolving task. For what it is though, it's fun, it's very stylish in it's presentation. Pretty impressed for a studio's first outing.

Playing with a dedicated set of friends makes the game even better. Impromptu skirmishes outside of a town are really fun and it reminds me a lot of the duel culture in Elder Scrolls Online.

If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer what I can. I definitely recommend giving it a shot.

reinking

Gold Member
It's an MMO. So yeah you've basically described every MMO ever.
If you pull up any stream of other mmos you can typically tell right away that some people have progressed further than others. That didn't stand out to me on these streams. You see classes and races in others. Obviously this game doesn't have that same system. That is why I am asking someone that has played it to sell me on the game. What is going to make me want to progress? Story, loot and skills looked a bit bland. Tell me why I am wrong for thinking that.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If you pull up any stream of other mmos you can typically tell right away that some people have progressed further than others. That didn't stand out to me on these streams. You see classes and races in others. Obviously this game doesn't have that same system. That is why I am asking someone that has played it to sell me on the game. What is going to make me want to progress? Story, loot and skills looked a bit bland. Tell me why I am wrong for thinking that.
It's a good question. For me, I think my main draw was preparing myself for inevitable war. That's why I progressed. I didn't want to get annihilated by any random dude I happened by while I was on a mission and I wanted my faction to be the best faction and eventually take over the game. I knew I played a part in something bigger than myself and I wanted to make sure I was contributing. The story is not really a draw for me, but it's rarely the point for me in MMO's. Even FFXIV, which has a great story, is told slowly and is wayyy too wordy for my taste. I end up skipping most of the dialogue because I get tired of reading it all. I just want to get stronger and perfect my class so I can be useful in high lvl content.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I found it to be boring but I think it has more to do with the setting than anything else. Otherwise it seems to be a competent MMO that doesn't bring anything new to the table. I'm sure it will flare up nicely after launch for a half year but we'll see if it really has legs.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I found it to be boring but I think it has more to do with the setting than anything else. Otherwise it seems to be a competent MMO that doesn't bring anything new to the table. I'm sure it will flare up nicely after launch for a half year but we'll see if it really has legs.
I'm trying to think of an MMO that has a persistent war over territory. I can't think of any. I think that qualifies as new. Last game I knew of that does something like this is For Honor and even that game doesn't go as far as New World does in the war's complexity.

Mr.ODST

I'm trying to think of an MMO that has a persistent war over territory. I can't think of any. I think that qualifies as new. Last game I knew of that does something like this is For Honor and even that game doesn't go as far as New World does in the war's complexity.
There was WAR fora good time, that was the best PVP mmo that ever existed and so fun just constantly attacking forts etc.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
There was WAR fora good time, that was the best PVP mmo that ever existed and so fun just constantly attacking forts etc.
Yea there was War for sure, but I mean in terms of the scope. Like you aren't doing missions for your town, or delivering supplies for the war effort or building defenses like you do in New World. I also wouldn't consider For Honor an MMO. There is no open world. In New World each territory can be claimed by a guild within a faction.

For example, I was part of the Covenant (yellow colors). Within the faction you have several Guilds but one Guild tends to garner the most members. Those members contribute to the Guild's coffers, who then use that money to purchase a territory. Once a territory is purchased, the faction can assign an individual as a Governor, who essentially runs the capitol of that territory. They are responsible for issuing projects for the faction to tend to. These projects help the towns citizens to progress both individually and for the good of the faction as a whole. Questing within your faction's territory grants benefits like cheaper fast travelling and other quality of life perks. Owning a majority of the territories also grants boons to your faction. The Governor is also responsible for setting taxes. There's property tax, trade tax and crafting fees. All of which people pay to help the ROI of the Guild who bought the territory to begin with.

You see what I'm getting at? For Honor did have war, but it's not anywhere close to what New World is bringing to the table.

lefty1117

Gold Member
The no sub will definitely help. Forgot about that! In terms of PVP territorial control - DAOC, ESO (via Cyrodiil control), Warhammer Online, Planetside 2, and of course the current granddaddy is EVE Online. By the way I don't mean to diminish the efforts in New World. In fact I think it started out as a PVP focused game and then sort of catered to PVE in the revamps it went through, and maybe that's why I feel there's a lack of focus and it's all just a bit bland. Maybe it's just general MMO fatigue for me. I would have at least liked it to have been a recognizable IP so I could sink into the lore.

That said I'll be checking out the pvp for sure - that will have to be the thing that gives the game legs I think.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
huh 40€ MMORPG and no sub? what gives? Might actually give it a try.

This is where I’m at. I’m just not paying a monthly fee to play a single game. The ESO business model seems fair, it’s too bad it’s so boring. I’ll give this a shot for $40 when it launches.

ThisIsPrfct

Neo Member
Asmongold ffs. He's definitely one of the more annoying youtubers/streamers. The way he keeps exaggerating his eyebrow movements constantly is just too much for me.

U Know Flirt GIF by Wimbledon
eyebrow GIF
Game Eyebrow GIF
Kumail Nanjiani Smile GIF
It's a tic man, he doesn't do it on purpose... how can you not realize that.

New World will flop quite hard... it has too many problems to be succesful... all those people who tried the game and didn't try it enough will hit a big wall around lvl 20 when you realize every single quest is the same, the story doesn't matter at all but makes you run from one place to another crossing half the map, and combat (something you care if you only want to pvp) is not fun at all and quite broken when you can run away and heal while you run or just zerg objectives.

Last edited:

MadAnon

New World will flop quite hard... it has too many problems to be succesful... all those people who tried the game and didn't try it enough will hit a big wall around lvl 20 when you realize every single quest is the same, the story doesn't matter at all but makes you run from one place to another crossing half the map, and combat (something you care if you only want to pvp) is not fun at all and quite broken when you can run away and heal while you run or just zerg objectives.
The end game is not much better from what I saw. It's as bare bones as it gets. Beyond constant 3 way faction war over territories there's nothing note worthy. And even that will get ruined by eventual faction inbalance. Most of the beta players didn't even get close to lvl 60 so for now everything looks cool. Once players start to hit end game it will become stale rather quickly. I don't think majority will even be playing after a month. Many will probably give up even before lvl 60 because the quests are just that bad.

That Steam player chart is very telling of what to expect once the game releases.

Last edited:

ThisIsPrfct

Neo Member
The end game is not much better from what I saw. It's as bare bones as it gets. Beyond constant 3 way faction war over territories there's nothing note worthy. And even that will get ruined by eventual faction inbalance. Most of the beta players didn't even get close to lvl 60 so for now everything looks cool. Once players start to hit end game it will become stale rather quickly. I don't think majority will even be playing after a month. Many will probably give up even before lvl 60 because the quests are just that bad.

That Steam player chart is very telling of what to expect once the game releases.
Yep... this is going to happen... the fall will be quick, swift and definitive. The only question left I have for this game is: Will Amazon drop it and cut their loses or continue develop it until, maybe, it becomes something good?

There are some good things going on in the game like gathering, graphics, alhtough there are very few set pieces and almost no cutscenes, and the sound effects are good too. Very dissapointed that faction armors while leveling are too easy to get and make crafting useless on those early levels.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

This is my main concern as someone who got to lvl 40. It was stale even then for me. This was probably more so because I no longer wanted to progress because progress would be wiped, but the dungeons/expeditions themselves are pretty simple with some unique mechanics. Boss fights do require some coordination and proper team balance but it's nothing like you would see in WoW or FFXIV. I would compare the expeditions in New World to the dungeons in FFXIV. That's about the level of complexity I've seen so far.

Once I hit 60 end game needs to be attached to gear or super rare materials needed to craft specific gear. That would make it like FFXI's Sky, Sea and Dynamis content. It will keep you going back for months trying to get your hand on precious materials and then leveling your crafting or hiring a trusted person to craft for you (given the materials are tradable).

supernova8

Banned

Still really annoying.

Top Bottom