• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon is making a Lord of the Rings MMO for PC and consoles, with development being led by the studio behind New Wor

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Not sure I understand all the negative new world comments. The game seemed pretty decent and was well received I thought? Even more so as the studio is really just getting going. Am I confusing it with something else?

I thought it was fine. I had minor grievances, such as a lack of controller support when I played (no idea if they added it), and if you weren't in that game's version of a guild and weren't playing the meta social game it felt punitive (getting taxed while having no say in things, etc).

But I got a good 40 hours of it, I think. I still grab the "free" loot from Prime Gaming for it just in case I ever decide to return.

Pejo

Probably will be visually nice and simultaneously full of agenda pushing shit, just like the show, with very little respect towards the source material. You know, modern day stuff.

Puscifer

Gold Member
Lord of the Rings online is still a thing and I'm sure the dedicated thousands keeping it going would appreciate folks coming to a game that has an old school style of design that doesn't exist anymore.

KiteGr

IJqOKK0.jpg

Flinttown

Neo Member
I hope this doesn't mean an end to Lotro. Lotro is my favorite rendition of middle earth. Losing it for an AGS abortion would suck.
lt'd be like Peter Jackson worrying about, 'The ring of power' lotro is already established as the look and feel of middle earth only getting better as time goes by, even with ssg buying turbines product. There has been progress when fear of regression was going rampant. Don't worry 'there's nothing to see here'

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Amazon making mmos is interesting, if it’s not a success you’re looking at a massive company with multiple systems.

We already had LOTRO and it was quietly one of the best reviewed MMO's ever made, it's been running for over 15 years, and exactly who the fuck asked for a new woke version of a LOTR MMO?

We already had LOTRO and it was quietly one of the best reviewed MMO's ever made, it's been running for over 15 years, and exactly who the fuck asked for a new woke version of a LOTR MMO?
Wokeness is the absolute last thing on the list to worry about when it comes to Amazon games publishing. Amazon Games Publishing keeps slowly taking a shovel and burying every single game they touch because they don't know what they're doing on a business level.

They're already making terrible decisions with their latest game Blue Protocol, prime example being a year-long delay in release. I don't know what Namco was thinking letting them publish the game in the west. They should have been paying attention to New World and Lost Ark. That deal was a death sentence.

Maybe this LoTR game will last a few more months than New World but it won't matter. They make bad business decisions, and they shouldn't be a games publisher in the first place.

Wokeness is the absolute last thing on the list to worry about when it comes to Amazon games publishing. Amazon Games Publishing keeps slowly taking a shovel and burying every single game they touch because they don't know what they're doing on a business level.

They're already making terrible decisions with their latest game Blue Protocol, prime example being a year-long delay in release. I don't know what Namco was thinking letting them publish the game in the west. They should have been paying attention to New World and Lost Ark. That deal was a death sentence.

Maybe this LoTR game will last a few more months than New World but it won't matter. They make bad business decisions, and they shouldn't be a games publisher in the first place.
It takes them an extra year to wokify Blue Protocol is the reason for the delay. They tried to launch Lost Ark with the same content as Korea but the biggest complaints they focused on were the female characters were attractive and had outfits that showed off how attractive they were. So this time they will make sure that won't be allowed to happen again. A Japanese game with all the attractive anime women removed is going to be hilarious to witness when it is finally launched in the West.

It takes them an extra year to wokify Blue Protocol is the reason for the delay. They tried to launch Lost Ark with the same content as Korea but the biggest complaints they focused on were the female characters were attractive and had outfits that showed off how attractive they were. So this time they will make sure that won't be allowed to happen again. A Japanese game with all the attractive anime women removed is going to be hilarious to witness when it is finally launched in the West.
I can guarantee you that the reason Lost Ark is in the state it's in now, is not because of women characters not having scantily clad outfits. It is 99% because of their monetization and content release schedule. I understand the censorship, but the issue you're focusing on isn't the one that's killing their game's playerbases. Americanized censorship is still an issue, but one that shouldn't be first on the list of issues nor should be seen that way. Besides, that also wouldn't explain how New World imploded. Blue Protocol has a 70% chance to die because of future monetization and their future content release schedule.

You can quote me on that a year from now, but we have to blame the right thing when it comes to these failures or else everything gets muddy and people are fighting over things that mattered very little in the long run.

Top Bottom