• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Luna is launching in Canada, Germany and the UK. Luna will also no longer block Linux users.

“With Amazon Luna, we’re making gaming easier and more convenient by offering instant access to console-quality games on devices customers already own,” said Eric Saarnio, vice president, Amazon Devices International. “Gamers in the U.S. have been enjoying Luna for the past year so we’re thrilled to now expand the service to customers in Canada, Germany, and the United Kingdom.”

What it offers up:

• Free games each month for Amazon Prime subscribers, rotated so you don't keep them.
  • Luna+ at £8.99 a month for access to various games.
  • Ubisoft+ at £14.99 a month for lots of Ubisoft games.
  • Jackbox games at £3.99 to access their party games.
Prime members who also have Luna+ can link to Ubisoft Connect to play a select few Ubisoft games too.
They're also no longer blocking Linux.

Previously, you needed a few tricks to get around their blocking to get into Luna, if you were in the USA where it was supported. Now though with the expansion into Canada, Germany and the UK more people can try it out. Playing it on my Linux desktop (Fedora KDE) with Chrome, it works out of the box but you just get an unsupported device warning that you can safely skip over and then the games appear to work just fine.
4989490161679495088gol1.jpg

6332424081679495372gol1.jpg

After many games requesting this service heavily, the wait is finally over and the Canada, the UK, and the Germany will be seeing cloud gaming service Amazon Luna finally release on their sures, after previously being USA only.

Also, before Linux ere given the boot unless you pulled some tricks, but now Amazon Luna works for Linux users right out of the box.

Will this help Luna stay alive and increase market share? Well, it will depend on how well the service is marketing in these regions. If this service is well marketed and known, then UK, Canadian, and German players may be incentivized to give it a try.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Haven't they removed tons of games from the service in the last couple of months?
Yes, many games are gone, so I was very surprised when it suddenly appeared today in Germany. I actually thought that it would be closed down soon,

Haven't they removed tons of games from the service in the last couple of months?

It seems this is an attempt to sure up users and expand support.

If they market it that could work, thing is that in the US many people didn't know what it was, even on here I had two thread where there were people who never heard of it.

How much money will Amazon spend on international marketing?

sainraja

I really don't understand why they are all trying to make streaming work. I hope this ends up like the whole "3D goggles, 3D TV, 3D gaming" thing that Avatar had started.

Is it live in Canada now?

Should be.

I really don't understand why they are all trying to make streaming work. I hope this ends up like the whole "3D goggles, 3D TV, 3D gaming" thing that Avatar had started.

Won't unless Nvidia cancels GeForce or greatly reduces it, and Sony and Microsoft kill Xcloud and PSNOW Plus. Xbox has most of the market, I think like over 70% and it's part of engagement and helps with additional purchases in relation to Game Pass which it is a part of. Sony uses theirs to over charge for access to old games since they don't want BC. That money from both would have to be low enough for both to stop bothering.

Cloud gaming won't be 3DTV.

Not even standalone, because if Amazon fails you still have Blacknuts, Ubitius, and Nvidia GeForce.

Last edited:

sainraja

Won't unless Nvidia cancels GeForce or greatly reduces it, and Sony and Microsoft kill Xcloud and PSNOW Plus. Xbox has most of the market, I think like over 70% and it's part of engagement and helps with additional purchases in relation to Game Pass which it is a part of. Sony uses theirs to over charge for access to old games since they don't want BC. That money from both would have to be low enough for both to stop bothering.

Cloud gaming won't be 3DTV.

Not even standalone, because if Amazon fails you still have Blacknuts, Ubitius, and Nvidia GeForce.
I am just hoping that it is like 3DTV and forgettable or continues to be "niche". Streaming works for movies and TV shows but I would rather not have it at all for gaming.

JimboJones

Tried a bit on phone there, better image quality and more responsive than anything Xbox has provided so that's nice! Just using the touch overlay controller so that was horrendous (as usual, does anyone like these?) maybe give it a go on wired connection later with controller.

Mahavastu

Yes, many games are gone, so I was very surprised when it suddenly appeared today in Germany. I actually thought that it would be closed down soon,
Just because it starts in new market, does not mean it does not closes soon.
I think the end of stadia was announced exactly the day it should start in several south american countries.

Trunx81

This appeared on my Fire TV stick now. Anyone tried it yet? Do the prime games get deleted at the end of the month? Does it work with a PS4 controller?

Spyxos

Gold Member
This appeared on my Fire TV stick now. Anyone tried it yet? Do the prime games get deleted at the end of the month? Does it work with a PS4 controller?
I tried it 1 time with the 4k Fire Sick on 4k Tv. It looks okish, but I'd rather play it on a smaller screen 1080p or below. Ps5 and Xbox controller work. I think ps4 should also work without a problem.

Top Bottom