• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Luna to lose 53 games this month. Reduces library to 175 games.

https://www.engadget.com/amazon-luna-plus-games-leaving-february-2023-165346298.html
Cloud gaming libraries normally get larger, but Amazon Luna's appears to be shrinking — for now, at least. 9to5Google notes that the paid Luna+ tier will lose 53 games in February. Many of these are older or niche titles you won't necessarily miss, but that does mean losing classics like No More Heroes (gone February 11th) as well as more recent titles like The Medium (February 9th).

We've asked Amazon for comment. In a statement to 9to5Google, a spokesperson said only that Amazon was "refreshing" its content as part of a goal to keep its collection "as fresh as possible."

The issue, as you might guess, is that this isn't an isolated situation. Amazon dropped another 46 games from Luna+ in December, and some of these were from well-known franchises like the Yakuza series. CloudDosage reports the February cull will leave Luna+ with 175 games. That could make it a tough sell if you're willing to pay for variety. Microsoft's Game Pass and Sony's PlayStation Plus Premium are more expensive, but promise access to hundreds of games (if frequently from the back catalog).

After losing over 50 games in December (and some in Jan) Amazon will be losing another 53 games this month dropping it's selection to only 175, possibly less if there's more cancellation announcements later on like in Dec. The loss of games, some of quality people seek out, or fun indies, reduces the value of the program significantly, which already suffered layoffs not long ago and Amazon has been pushing their "Amazon Gaming" brand to new countries, NOT Amazon Luna, which makes me believe they may be possibly considering shelving Luna soon.

Regardless, so far this cloud gaming stuff that was originally promoting the end of consoles (and massive harm to PC's) hasn't come to fruition so far, and cloud gaming has a long way to go to be viable, if ever.

Last edited:

Kilau

https://www.engadget.com/amazon-luna-plus-games-leaving-february-2023-165346298.html

yiff the cat, and cancer the womens baby so we can pregnant the panda, we are looking for igloos tonight. Are you sexy?

Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Their selection is already pretty crap, and their streaming tech isn't nearly as good as Xbox or Geforce Now (for me). Losing this many games this quickly, so close to Stadia's collapse, is definitely concerning for cloud gaming overall.

Hot Fuzz Shame GIF

Puscifer

I hate to say it, but it's kinda clear that if cloud is a thing you're tied to azure to make it feasible. Even PSNow and some Nintendo cloud titles are on Azure

spons

Gold Member
I hate to say it, but it's kinda clear that if cloud is a thing you're tied to azure to make it feasible. Even PSNow and some Nintendo cloud titles are on Azure
What? Amazon owns the largest cloud platform in the world. Azure isn't a measure of success. Nintendo and Sony just don't have any and they've chosen Microsoft's infrastructure.

Their selection is already pretty crap, and their streaming tech isn't nearly as good as Xbox or Geforce Now (for me). Losing this many games this quickly, so close to Stadia's collapse, is definitely concerning for cloud gaming overall.

Yeah, they pretty much lost most of the good games people actually wanted.

I suspect Luna won't last much longer despite them trying to pretend the service is still viable. I expect GeForce to stick around because it has a loyal though niche, audience that will use it. But I don't expect cloud gaming to be big anytime soon, the biggest will likely be PSnow (Plus Premium) and Xcloud because of them being optional and an incentive for subbing to Xbox and PS.

Ronin_7

Banned
Cloud gaming is biggest mess I've ever seen in my life.

Absolute Trash that nobody asked for but somehow was pushed as the next big thing in 2011, remember people saying by 2020 Consoles wouldn't exist 🤣🤣🤣 it's dead Jim.

Metaverse is the Next fiasco.

Absolute Trash that nobody asked for but somehow was pushed as the next big thing in 2011, remember people saying by 2020 Consoles wouldn't exist 🤣🤣🤣 it's dead Jim.

I think VR will stick around and slowly get better over the next 10-15 years, but it won't be through Zucker, it's going to be someone else more competent that sweeps things up, whether that's Apple, Samsung, or someone else has yet to be seen.

jaysius

Banned
Phone typing and auto-replace.

Anyway fixed with Keyboard, also Luna is losing 53 games.
Umm, ok but tell us what that was SUPPOSED to say... there's no plausible alternative that it could have said even with auto-incorrect going full tilt.

"yiff" would have to be in your auto correct dictionary...

team america vomit GIF

I came here to go "LOL LUNA" but got so much more.

Thank you sir, I think today you win the internet, which is hard considering all the Hogwarts JK Rowling stuff going around.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

I remember getting a beta test invite a year or so ago for Luna.
I thought, what the heck, I was part of the Project Stream (Stadia) beta test so why not?
Went through a survey and got my invite.
Go to sign up and was offered a monthly sub price, monthly extra to Ubisoft, offer to buy their expensive Xbox controller, etc.
I threw that invite "right on the ground".

Umm, last time I checked, beta doesn't work that way.

I don't think they were ever serious, just wanted to buy some tech and stress test it in case Stadia took off.

I remember getting a beta test invite a year or so ago for Luna.
I thought, what the heck, I was part of the Project Stream (Stadia) beta test so why not?
Went through a survey and got my invite.
Go to sign up and was offered a monthly sub price, monthly extra to Ubisoft, offer to buy their expensive Xbox controller, etc.
I threw that invite "right on the ground".

Umm, last time I checked, beta doesn't work that way.

I don't think they were ever serious, just wanted to buy some tech and stress test it in case Stadia took off.

None of them were serious, Google guy just went up and all but said he has no interest in video games before he revealed the service.

Netflix is the only one partially being serious but they have yet to actually launch their cloud gaming of the ground for real, and they are only going into gaming as a necessity because they are running out of options to attract users.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

After losing over 50 games in December (and some in Jan) Amazon will be losing another 53 games this month dropping it's selection to only 175, possibly less if there's more cancellation announcements later on like in Dec. The loss of games, some of quality people seek out, or fun indies, reduces the value of the program significantly, which already suffered layoffs not long ago and Amazon has been pushing their "Amazon Gaming" brand to new countries, NOT Amazon Luna, which makes me believe they may be possibly considering shelving Luna soon.

Regardless, so far this cloud gaming stuff that was originally promoting the end of consoles (and massive harm to PC's) hasn't come to fruition so far, and cloud gaming has a long way to go to be viable, if ever.

It's the biggest joke in the industry. The way many talking heads in the video game's media has been saying streaming will kill the console is once again proven to be a lie! It's as if they were getting paid to say these things.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

The Metaverse will be around for a long time. It just won't replace 2D gaming and TV viewing anytime soon if ever. Same goes for streaming games.

SpiceRacz

Genuinely curious how many people have actually tried Luna.

Their subscription model is perfect - Flat fee for access to all games. It just doesn't have the library to back it up. Also, I encountered minimal issues when using Luna. I found Xbox's game streaming to be noticeably worse.

Top Bottom