• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Luna to lose nearly 50 games by end of December, the bulk of Luna's direct library. (Bomba?)

The cloud gaming market has been hit pretty hard following the death of Stadia and other roadblocks, and it seems Amazon’s Luna is going through some tough times too. Over the course of December 2022, Amazon Luna will lose nearly 50 games, on top of several others that left earlier this month.

Starting on December 1, Amazon Luna will see a considerable purge to its library of games. There are 46 titles set to leave the service over the course of the next month, leading to January 1, 2023.

Luna has always had a rotating library similar to Xbox Game Pass, but the sheer quantity of games leaving is worrying, to say the least.
Games leaving
Leaving Luna+

Leaving Family Channel

The 46 games set to leave Amazon Luna are primarily coming from the Luna+ and Family Channel subscriptions, which make up a bulk of the core Luna library.

With Google's streaming endeavors failing, it looks like we may be coming close to the end of Amazon Luna as well. It seems that Amazon was not able even with pushing Luna into Prime, get people to make the service lucrative and are about to move a large amount of games directly associated with the service, on top of what was already removed this month. Across December the above list of games are going.

They really haven't done very well in marketing it other than just splashing the brand around but not really showing people why they should use it. Not to mention they haven't done much with their game studio acquisitions either.

I suspect what will happen is Luna as a gaming service will be retired, but they'll keep the brand for a hub that allows you to connect to other services like PSN, Gamepass, geforce Now, Steam, and Ubisoft play etc when you connect an Amazon product to a TV like a Firestick or FireTv. It looks like Amazon is slowly giving up on the service but not ready to publicly throw in the towel just yet.

I remember the panic gaming sites were in when Google and Amazon first announced, and Amazon made their first acquisitions. Turns out there was nothing to worry about the whole time.

Agent X

I noticed this, too. A few other games such as Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and Redout have also already left the service.

As far as I know, every game that was added to Luna since its inception over a year ago had remained on the service until very recently. They never removed a single game, up until about two weeks ago.

Now, it's somewhat jarring to see such a large amount of games being removed within the span of a few weeks. They usually only add about 3 to 6 games a month. Perhaps they'll consider increasing the number of games that they bring to Luna each month from now on.

One good thing that Luna implemented recently is that they allow you to download your saved game data for certain games. This means that you could eventually continue your progress by playing on a PC, even if the game is removed from the service or you end your subscription.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I forgot that Luna existed. In fact, I'm not completely sure that I _ever_ knew it officially existed, and that's coming from someone who wastes a ton of time on gaming forums / news

spons

Gold Member
I remember when Amazon came to the Netherlands and everyone thought they would take over the market. They're an overrated company.
They took like 3% market share or something. Amazon is garbage. No service and mostly trash products straight from AliExpress.
I have no idea why people like Amazon so much.

Menzies

Banned
If both Amazon and Google voluntarily bow out before the close of the ABK deal, I wonder what consideration this has in the eyes of regulators. They’re seemingly concerned about new entrants in this nascent ‘market’. A market which has failed several times before now. They don’t require any extra effort from Microsoft for them to foreclose here.

ZehDon

If both Amazon and Google voluntarily bow out before the close of the ABK deal, I wonder what consideration this has in the eyes of regulators. They’re seemingly concerned about new entrants in this nascent ‘market’. A market which has failed several times before now. They don’t require any extra effort from Microsoft for them to foreclose here.
And that's worth repeating: OnLive, Gaiki, Stadia, Luna. XCloud is, effectively, subsidised by Game Pass. PlayStation Now - or PlayStation Plus Alpha EX Turbo tier - is subsidised by the rest of PlayStation Plus. The technology and overall experience isn't good enough to warrant mass consumer adoption. Being concerned about competition at this stage in the game to the tune of preventing mergers and acquisitons is a little silly; only two have figured how to get off the ground and not burn up, and neither of them are pushing all that hard with it.

Lions Gate

[/URL]

Games leaving
Leaving Luna+

Leaving Family Channel

With Google's streaming endeavors failing, it looks like we may be coming close to the end of Amazon Luna as well. It seems that Amazon was not able even with pushing Luna into Prime, get people to make the service lucrative and are about to move a large amount of games directly associated with the service, on top of what was already removed this month. Across December the above list of games are going.

They really haven't done very well in marketing it other than just splashing the brand around but not really showing people why they should use it. Not to mention they haven't done much with their game studio acquisitions either.

I suspect what will happen is Luna as a gaming service will be retired, but they'll keep the brand for a hub that allows you to connect to other services like PSN, Gamepass, geforce Now, Steam, and Ubisoft play etc when you connect an Amazon product to a TV like a Firestick or FireTv. It looks like Amazon is slowly giving up on the service but not ready to publicly throw in the towel just yet.

I remember the panic gaming sites were in when Google and Amazon first announced, and Amazon made their first acquisitions. Turns out there was nothing to worry about the whole time.
Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’ve actually been thinking a lot about these streaming services lately. Not to get one but just the whole zeitgeist around it.

It’s a weird proposition if you really think about. It’s basically replacing renting games of old and it’s almost infinitely a better deal than when we use to rent games. The problem is it’s like a continuous rental that only goes out when the games go out.
I wonder if a pay as you go “ trial “ like system would have worked better. You don’t stream but you download a game and pay for time?
It really pales in comparison to a streaming sub value but I think it’s an easier sell.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
They took like 3% market share or something. Amazon is garbage. No service and mostly trash products straight from AliExpress.
I have no idea why people like Amazon so much.
It has gotten so much worse over time. Many years ago, it was a simple and fairly respectable storefront. Now you're right, it's spammed with all kinds of trash from China, bot listers that make a thousands nonsensical t-shirt variations, bad shipments, etc etc

GhostOfTsu

Banned
And people said streaming is the future and Sony was going to get left behind (even if they did it first before everyone else and failed). Consumers said no once again. There is no market for this.

I wonder who Phil is going to use to keep getting blank cheque from Nadella with both his competitors death?

I think everyone just jumping in a tad early and incorrectly.

Game’s have to be more Wii centric aka family friendly. Games for the general public.

TwinB242

The different subscription tiers actually make Luna seem more appealing than the typical game streaming service. I was planning on subscribing to their Jackbox package so I could play those games with friends/families over the holidays. Dividing the library up like that seems like a good move from a business perspective.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Google and now Amazon close their cloud streaming service just before MS is being investigated and accused of having a monopoly in the cloud streaming market 🤔

PhaseJump

Banned
Time for Bezos to buy Sony and make Knack Prime movies.

Playstation can replace Luna for them.

Last edited:
The sooner we can move past the latest round of “cloud gaming is the future!” the better.

This right here. The "streaming and digital is the future" crowd are always stunned to hear about games being pulled off of services, as though this is not an immediately obvious potential outcome.

MadPanda

Banned
Nvidia streaming is still stable atm. So there's an audience for streaming just Amazon and Google messed up.
Nvidia's streaming is top notch, it's a shame many publishers decided not to support it. Some few years back I was playing Apex Legends over Nvidia with my friends who were playing on their PCs and I didn't feel disadvantaged, I was pretty competitive and that was on the free tier. If it supported every major publisher I'd just sell my console and play over Nvidia streaming.

Fahdis

nVidia remains supreme. GeForce Now has the right idea all along. Own your games, play on a server without needing a computer. Best service too.

Banned
GeForce Now and Gamepass are still the only cloud gaming services that make sense.

noone wants a cloud only service, it's quite simple

NinjaBoiX

I genuinely thought this hadn’t launched yet, I’ve seen and heard almost nothing about it.

That’s kind of insane, lol.

plip.plop

And people said streaming is the future and Sony was going to get left behind (even if they did it first before everyone else and failed). Consumers said no once again. There is no market for this.

I wonder who Phil is going to use to keep getting blank cheque from Nadella with both his competitors death?
Wasnt the Sega Channel the first streaming/online service?

Wasnt the Sega Channel the first streaming/online service?

You could Stream games from Cable with the Intellivsion, and even download them at times.

Also CD-i didn't have streaming but it had the full feature set for online including gaming, browsing, etc, since phillips was trying to prevent the CD-i players as computer alternatives.

Yoboman

Good thing MS has spent 80 billion dollars to match it with the real competition: Amazon and Google

Top Bottom