• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Pilot Season starts January 15th,13 pilots available to Prime subscribers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
Day 4! (I don't know if this matters, but it's fun)

Drama:

Point of Honor: 864 (up 190) reviews, 3.7/5 average (down 0.1)
The Man in the High Castle: 2,967 (up 708) reviews, 4.8/5 average (flat)
Cocked: 586 (up 143) reviews, 4.2/5 average (flat)
Mad Dogs: 1,122 (up 257) reviews, 4.5/5 average (flat)

Comedy:

Salem Rogers: 645 (up 150) reviews, 4.1/5 average (flat)
Down Dog: 572 (up 99) reviews, 3.7/5 average (flat)

DAY 5 ARE WE HAVING FUN YET

Unscripted:

New Yorker Presents: 522 reviews, 4.4/5 average

Drama:

Point of Honor: 1,074 reviews, 3.8/5 average
The Man in the High Castle: 3,850 reviews, 4.8/5 average
Cocked: 763 reviews, 4.2/5 average
Mad Dogs: 1,419 reviews, 4.5/5 average

Comedy:

Salem Rogers: 811 reviews, 4.0/5 average
Down Dog: 687 reviews, 3.7/5 average

golem

Seems the review scores have stabilized. I wonder what percentage of viewers actually bother casting a vote and how many viewers Amazon's pilot promotion attracts.

Just finished the The Man In The High Castle. Didn't read the book.
It seems they might be doing a "time travel machine" as the over arching, final plot of the series, and that's fine. The visuals and details of the world are nice, especially the establishing shots of the New Order-esque landscapes.
Sadly, and I'm judging this from the pilot alone, this piece falls into the "cartoonishly evil nazis" trope. And, like most US media, they pose the japanese as the lesser evil of the axis. Personally, I'm hoping they subvert that with a character or scene where they show a lab similar to Unit 731 operating in california.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Interesting read

For as much as we talk about an auteurist moment in television, the truth is, TV has always been a collaborative medium. By and large, the scripts that Amazon is choosing are crying out for dissenting voices; they need to be pushed and prodded into something approaching a shape. Just as the Fire Phone taught Jeff Bezos that he’s no Steve Jobs, these recent investments ought to be educating Roy Price that not everyone is Jill Soloway. It’s the rare storyteller who is able to bridge the large, terrifying gap that separates vision from execution. It is a beautiful unicorn who can do it alone.

memles with a few numbers on the Amazon series:

ITVCT0o.jpg

ivysaur12

Banned
Man in the High Castle and Mad Dogs are sure things, while Salem Rogers and Cocked are "on the bubble", which yeah, that I get that.

Beefy

I didn't want to start a new thread. But what do you guys (UK) think is better? Sky Movies or Prime? I have been thinking about getting Prime for a bit now and also thinking of getting rid of Sky movies.

The Man in the High Castle was pretty good. Unexpected twist there at the end. I say this having not read the book, by the way. I would definitely keep watching if/when it gets ordered.

Mad Dogs was iffy. I didn't have fun watching it and it was very slow. I doubt I'd watch it going forward.

Cocked was really good. Probably my favorite of the bunch. Really surprised and a bit disappointed by the lack of good reviews for it. Hopefully it gets ordered to series.

RS4-

Man in the High Castle was pretty good. Never read the books, but the past month or so I've been reading some other alternate history stuff around WW2: Harry Turtledove's World War series.

Watching Mad Dogs. I'm about 50% of the way through... I thought it was pretty shitty so far then the big twist that you knew was going to happen happened, and it was so weird that I kind of got into it.

But... overall it's shit, and I just feel bad for Michael Imperioli.

Watching Mad Dogs. I'm about 50% of the way through... I thought it was pretty shitty so far then the big twist that you knew was going to happen happened, and it was so weird that I kind of got into it.

But... overall it's shit, and I just feel bad for Michael Imperioli.
Watch the UK original show.

Girlfriend said the model show was pretty funny, and did a survey for it. I fell asleep during High Castle. I really liked Mad Dogs and Cocked. Made sure to beg Amazon to pick those up.

dubc35

I finished Mad Dogs. Meh, it's ok but nothing really drags me into it. The characters and plot don't interest me. Pure personal opinion but that's my take.

Only watched this and tMitHC so far

The Man in the High Castle is really good. Just left my feedback on that one.

Look beautiful, alternate HISTORY fantasy.
Germany vs. Japan for all of American territory? Holy shit

And the
film reel bit
is a mindfuck to be honest. Can't wait!

I really liked The Man in the High Castle. PKD is my favorite author. I haven't read the novel in many years, but I don't think it's a really faithful adaptation so far, but it captures that world perfectly.

yayaba

I really, really dug Man in the High Castle. Loved Total Recall and Minority Report so glad to see more Philip K Dick stuff.

2016 is the earliest we'll see more of that? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom