• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon's LOTR Series Has a Title: The Rings of Power

Ulysses 31

Everyone ready for a modern middle earth???
FJex3wSXIAE7KXX

manfestival

mite b cool. Here is to being hopeful but not setting any expectations because... well amazon has a really spotty track record.

ymoc

Okay look... If Tolkien said it this way, that's fine, but if not, if it's something Hugo weaving made up, then FUCK WHOEVER DECIDED IT WAS

"MORHDHORH"

I am beyond triggered by the way that narrator said "in the land of MOOHHTRRDROORDDFHH where the shadows lie"

the office rage GIF
Wo woooo there buddy! Thats a bad look, friendo. It's just a case of a hard R, which is how hispanic and slavic people pronounce our Rs. Check your anglo-saxon privilege, my sweet summer child. Yikes.
kate mckinnon white privilege GIF by Saturday Night Live

Melon Husk

Ewww I don't wanna see Jeff's power ring.

Stephen Colbert as executive producer or no deal.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Wo woooo there buddy! Thats a bad look, friendo. It's just a case of a hard R, which is how hispanic and slavic people pronounce our Rs. Check your anglo-saxon privilege, my sweet summer child. Yikes.
kate mckinnon white privilege GIF by Saturday Night Live
It's got nothing to do with that, it's whether it's justified in any recording of Tolkien

Last edited:

ymoc

It's got nothing to do with that, it's whether it's justified in any recording of Tolkien
This is not Resetera. I was joking. Though it's funny being stuck on a word pronunciation of all things that are going to probably go waaaay different from Tolkien's vision...and thats gonna be super sad.

I have a deep love of Tolkien's Middle Earth. I read everything he wrote on it, even the long and often boring Silmarillion. The second they make a clear break from the meticulous world he created in order to pander I'll be out. If that's in the first five seconds so be it.

And no, I don't need to accept it just because "it's fantasy". It's a wonderfully constructed world that existed before our own. It works precisely because it is different, and exact, as Tolkien envisioned it. That's why it resonates so. I am not interested in what lesser creators think that world should be.
Exactly where I'm at. Fuck it up in any way, and I'm out that instant.

Tschumi

This is not Resetera. I was joking. Though it's funny being stuck on a word pronunciation of all things that are going to probably go waaaay different from Tolkien's vision...and thats gonna be super sad.
Ahhh i got ya haha

Animated GIF

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I said it in the Star Wars thread but it goes here too. I am so tired of TV Shows. Everything has to be a TV show now so they have "content" for their shitty streaming services.

There has been exactly 1 scifi/fantasy TV show with the full production values of a movie - Game of Thrones (mostly). Even the Mandalorian fell short times with things obviously looking like sets, some shitty costumes etc..

I would love a new movie set in the LOTR world, one tight movie which tells an amazing story with best quality special effects. I dont need some shitty padded out story going on way too long just to have more episodes where everything looks like a janky knock off from the classic films.

Last edited:

Ionian

I would love a new movie set in the LOTR world, one tight movie which tells an amazing story with best quality special effects. I dont need some shitty padded out story going on way too long just to have more episodes where everything looks like a janky knock off from the classic films.

So basically 'The Hobbit', for streaming.

I hope not. It is Amazon though.

Yoboman

I said it in the Star Wars thread but it goes here too. I am so tired of TV Shows. Everything has to be a TV show now so they have "content" for their shitty streaming services.

There has been exactly 1 scifi/fantasy TV show with the full production values of a movie - Game of Thrones (mostly). Even the Mandalorian fell short times with things obviously looking like sets, some shitty costumes etc..

I feel like the abundance of streaming content has opened the door up for a lot of hacks to be working on them

Its not the best of the best anymore. If you couldn't make it 20 years ago, there's a Netflix product that will have you now

Man if they woke this up and ruin it there's going to be a huge outcry. People can only take so much.

I see there's already a massive thread below the trailer fearing the worst. Looks like people are finally waking up to the complete subversion of their arts and culture to this bullshit. Only took like five years and 25 ruined properties.

ymoc

That scifi show is Expanse, right?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
This show is post Saurons first defeat by Isildur? I thought it was waaaaaay before all that.
I thought the show was about the rise of Sauron too, but that looks like the broken sword Narsil. Maybe there are other broken swords in LOTR.....I will have to look.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm psyched. This is the last chance for meaningful additional LOTR media.

TV is better suited than movies because it's so much longer. Amazon is definitely investing the money.

It could suck, but fingers crossed because if this bombs we have a Gollum game and that's it.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The show is second age, forming of the rings. Long before Sauron and the Last Alliance.
That is what I thought, but I don't know of any other broken swords from LOTR so I think it must be Narsil. If it isn't, I wonder what it is.

I wonder if the Swords Glamdring and Orchrist will show up.

8bitpill

Hopefully with the time and money that has been put into this show they made something that is worthy of Tolkien's universe.

Oberstein

Their hands are clasped together and there is gold dust on their fingers. They are wearing golden and jeweled bracelets and a flowing robe with golden triangles wrapped over their shoulders.

AcceptablePartialHerald-size_restricted.gif

Ironbunny

wOOhOO...cant wait to be disappointed as every show seem to pander for the lunatics someway. Some nice Elven gay orgies. Patriarchy of weak men and everything saved by the hairy bearded strong little person she/her and her romantic partner the strong black female warrior. I hope theres no actual dwarf actors all I will call Peter Dicklage.

Doom85

Holy shit, they got Kenji Kamiyama to direct?!

Lets Go Reaction GIF

Ghost in the Shell SAC, Eden of the East, and Moribito’s director, oh fuck yeah.

Though I am worried that Sola Animation is animating it as they do CGI anime. I dunno, it might turn out fine, maybe even better if they’re given more time/money thanks to Warner Bros’ backing, but we’ll see. Definitely would have preferred 2D animation for this but I’ll wait for a trailer before passing judgment.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Holy shit, they got Kenji Kamiyama to direct?!

Lets Go Reaction GIF

Ghost in the Shell SAC, Eden of the East, and Moribito’s director, oh fuck yeah.

Though I am worried that Sola Animation is animating it as they do CGI anime. I dunno, it might turn out fine, maybe even better if they’re given more time/money thanks to Warner Bros’ backing, but we’ll see. Definitely would have preferred 2D animation for this but I’ll wait for a trailer before passing judgment.

The only thing I can add of interest is that apparently this is considered a companion piece to Peter Jacksons LotR trilogy. The Amazon series is not. There's a bit more optimism for those of us who are desperate.

Glad to hear this Kenji Kamiyana fellow is highly regarded by some!

T.v

Amazon absolutely butchered Wheel of Time. I didn’t have any faith in a modern day Tolkien show filled with a bunch of fanfiction before WoT ended up as it did, and I certainly don’t have any faith it it now.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
There needs to be a fucking revolt against using plurals as nouns and it needs to happen NOW!

It's so confusing. Whenever I see "they" about one person I instantly wonder where the other person is.

Bloody bullshit. I'd take zer og fer or whey or whatever any day over this bloody horeshite.
Are you ok? There is absolutely nothing wrong with what was written to describe the image.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Are you ok? There is absolutely nothing wrong with what was written to describe the image.
Eh, it's awkward at best. Even if it is technically grammatically proper (gender is unknown, so a plural pronoun is acceptable) it reads weird versus the usual tack of just picking he or she if the gender is irrelevant/unknown or using "it" so tha it is clear this is a singular being. Why is the gender a secret? What even is descriptive text though, who wrote it? Something for blind people surfing Twitter? If they are blind and they read this, will they think there is one person being described or multiple?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Eh, it's awkward at best. Even if it is technically grammatically proper (gender is unknown, so a plural pronoun is acceptable) it reads weird versus the usual tack of just picking he or she if the gender is irrelevant/unknown or using "it" so tha it is clear this is a singular being. Why is the gender a secret? What even is descriptive text though, who wrote it? Something for blind people surfing Twitter? If they are blind and they read this, will they think there is one person being described or multiple?
To be fair the person who quoted it missed out the first part which makes it pretty clear what is being described.
"DESCRIPTIVE TEXT: Close up of someone’s hands. We do not see this person’s face. Their hands are clasped together and there is gold dust on their fingers. They are wearing golden and jeweled bracelets and a flowing robe with golden triangles wrapped over their shoulders."

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I…might need to give that a play

Good game. Gameplay is fantastic. The story however.......pisses all over Tolkien's work. Nothing but shit fan fiction. Sexy shelob, Necromancer Orcs raising a Balrog from the depths, rings of power being thrown around, complete reworking of the Nazgûl.......pure nonsense story.

Kimahri

Banned
To be fair the person who quoted it missed out the first part which makes it pretty clear what is being described.
"DESCRIPTIVE TEXT: Close up of someone’s hands. We do not see this person’s face. Their hands are clasped together and there is gold dust on their fingers. They are wearing golden and jeweled bracelets and a flowing robe with golden triangles wrapped over their shoulders."
It is bad language. As someone who writes professionally it infuriates me to no end how this nonsense has managed to infest language.

Language is in itself a poor form of communication. We misunderstand each all the time, tone is lost, mood is hard to convey, and then we have these dumb shits who insists on making it even harder to understand by actively using a plural about one person.

Now I get it, we need a word for someone who's sex we don't know. It's a huge flaw in most languages, but "they" is a bad choice, because it already means something else. Thus, you'll always confuse someone when using it.

That, and that alone, is enough to make the use of they about a singular person bad language.

Last edited:

Mistake

It is bad language. As someone who writes professionally it infuriates me to no end how this nonsense has managed to infest language.

Language is in itself a poor form of communication. We misunderstand each all the time, tone is lost, mood is hard to convey, and then we have these dumb shits who insists on making it even harder to understand by actively using a plural about one person.

Now I get it, we need a word for someone who's sex we don't know. It's a huge flaw in most languages, but "they" id a bad choice, because it already means something else. Thus, you'll always confuse someone when using it.

That, and that alone, is enough to make the use of they about a singular person bad language.
I have thought about what the most annoying pronouns would be, just for the fun of seeing what a garbled mess reports would be like. On a side note, the history of punctuation is very interesting. If you think today is bad, imagine having no commas

jason10mm

Gold Member
But if you don't have the picture as a reference is it talking about person A close up on hands and can't see face but but multiple people with hands clasped together?

Almost every time such a sentence was crafted it would be" he" or "she", maybe "his or her". The use of a plural pronoun to describe an anonymous single individual to folks who can't see that it is a single person is confusing IMHO.

Close up of someone’s hands. We do not see this person’s face. His or her hands are clasped together and there is gold dust on their fingers. The person is wearing golden and jeweled bracelets and a flowing robe with golden triangles wrapped over their shoulders."

See, that is the way to use" their" for a singular person of unknown gender.

Top Bottom