• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD 6000 GPUs are dying

winjer

Gold Member

But it's not just the GPU that has cracked, all 48 cards come with shorted SOC rail, shorted memory rail a shorted memory controller rail. Upon asking users what they were specifically doing with the cards, most of them responded differently. Some said they were gaming normally while others were watching YouTube or even had their PC on idle when the GPU died on them. But one thing that matched across all affected GPUs was the driver version. It is stated that all GPUs were using the latest drivers which launched last year in December aka Adrenalin 22.11.2 (WHQL).

For now, we can advise users to not use the latest drivers for their cards as Buildzoid states that it won't be the first time that a GPU manufacturer would accidentally disable the thermal protection in a new driver release. Some users have also reported hearing aggressive coil whine on the newer drivers which wasn't there before.

At this point people are still trying to find what is going on. But it's probably a good idea for people who have a 6000 GPU, to install a monitoring app to check your temperatures and power usage.
Also consider going to a previous driver version, in case this is the cause.

DaGwaphics

That's unfortunate. Hopefully it isn't a widespread thing. This is why you don't auto-update drivers and wait a bit before jumping on anything.

The GPU market needs AMD, their current reputation isn't the best as it is.

Thebonehead

Banned
Yeah KrisFix said they have had around 61 cards over the last 3 weeks

6800XT, 6900XT with 49 of them all having the same fault

Thebonehead

Banned
Fine wine^tm

Jesus Christ AMD..

To think they threw shade at Nvidia.. can’t spell KARMA without RMA
7J8qw1T.jpg

Dural

Going to have to check my son's PC, got him a 6750XT for Christmas and I'm sure he has the latest drivers. All of the failed cards are 6800XT and 6900XT, so maybe it's only affecting them?

winjer

Gold Member
At this point it's hard to tell what is going on. This is just one source claiming these issues. Could be real, could be fake.
But if it's a real issue, maybe it's drivers that have some bug with thermal protection. Maybe these were mining cards, that were already worn out. Maybe it's a bad batch of GPUs.
Still, it's better to keep an eye on your GPU for now.

Kataploom

Gold Member
My driver is from Nov 30th, hope it doesn't mean I'm fucked... I mostly play 1080p @60 fps on a 6700xt with vsync on so I don't think it would make my card melt.

But it was around 90° while playing Warzone at unlocked fps some days ago, idk if that's normal tho

winjer

Gold Member
My driver is from Nov 30th, hope it doesn't mean I'm fucked... I mostly play 1080p @60 fps on a 6700xt with vsync on so I don't think it would make my card melt.

But it was around 90° while playing Warzone at unlocked fps some days ago, idk if that's normal tho

No. That is not a good temperature.

//DEVIL//

Just in case anyone has doubts. this guy is beyond amazing. he is the one who fixed the damaged 4090 Strix from before as well.

Honestly, it's like AMD can't catch a break. as if people need more reasons not to touch AMD cards.

Hope this is sorted out quickly. because competition is good and I like how AMD tries to push Nvidia. if we were left with Nvidia alone we are fucked.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
damn, i'd rather not my GPU fucking die on me. I updated too since ReLive was missing and i wanted it back. what a shame... rollback time!

GHG

That's unfortunate. Hopefully it isn't a widespread thing. This is why you don't auto-update drivers and wait a bit before jumping on anything.

The GPU market needs AMD, their current reputation isn't the best as it is.

The GPU market does not need current AMD. The GPU market needs a company to step up to the plate and be competent enough to compete with Nvidia.

I don't know what it is with this forums obsession of getting behind "competition" (even if said "competition" isn't actually competitive in any way) even if it means opting for a subpar product.

The GPU market does not need current AMD. The GPU market needs a company to step up to the plate and be competent enough to compete with Nvidia.

I don't know what it is with this forums obsession of getting behind "competition" (even if said "competition" isn't actually competitive in any way) even if it means opting for a subpar product.
no one can.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

say it louder for the people in the back!!!! People are using the term 'competition' to protect mediocrity from criticism. What was once a term used to describe innovative, forward thinking companies that broke down existing power structures and revolutionized the industry is now nonsense thrown around for when a company is being mediocre/got themselves into a SNAFU.

It's so dumb how people will see a company doing something boneheaded only to respond with 'but muh competition' even though a company sitting around, producing subpar stuff and then fucking it up is clearly, by all accounts, NOT competition. IT NEVER WAS. Same damn thing for Xbox, same damn thing for Pepsi, same damn thing for pretty much every fucking company who's fucked up across the board.

AMD either needs to take initiative and put out the best value cards we've ever seen or get the fuck out of the GPU market. If 'competition' can leave the market and not cause a giant upheaval in the industry that was never competition in the first fucking place, it's a monopoly in disguise

Now watch while some boneheaded fuck comes over and says that we're advocating for 'a monopoly' or some shit

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Well the forum members are just smart enough and realistic enough to look at the situation for what it is. There is no one outside of AMD / Nvidia / Intel / Apple that is capable of releasing a competitive product in this space. Intel is showing how even with the means it is a tough road to hoe and Apple seems uninterested in doing anything outside their own systems.

With the way AMD's market share has been degrading recently there is a real risk of them exiting this space. If you would feel better about Nvidia having a near complete monopoly on the space (in the name of better competition no less) go for it.

Maybe in another generation or two Intel will be there, but you can't really say exactly how committed they ultimately are to GPUs.

Last edited:
say it louder for the people in the back!!!! People are using the term 'competition' to protect mediocrity from criticism. What was once a term used to describe innovative, forward thinking companies that broke down existing power structures and revolutionized the industry is now nonsense thrown around for when a company is being mediocre/got themselves into a SNAFU. It's so dumb how people will see a company doing something boneheaded only to respond with 'but muh competition' even though a company sitting around, producing subpar stuff and then fucking it up is clearly, by all accounts, NOT competition. IT NEVER WAS. Same damn thing for Xbox, same damn thing for Pepsi, same damn thing for pretty much every fucking company who's fucked up across the board. AMD either needs to take initiative and put out the best value cards we've ever seen or get the fuck out of the GPU market. If 'competition' can leave the market and not cause a giant upheaval in the industry that was never competition in the first fucking place, it's a monopoly in disguise

Now watch while some boneheaded fuck comes over and says that we're advocating for 'a monopoly' or some shit
iCcNs9z.gif

VN1X

Banned

Mine was too but it depends on your fan profile and if you've OC'd or Undervolted your card.

Since this news I've undervolted a bit further and cranked up the fan speeds. It sounds like a PS4 Pro lifting off into space now but at least the temps are around 72c instead of 90+.

EDIT: Oh wait... 1080p/60fps with those temps is a bit odd I would say. I play at 160+ fps on 1440p and my temps are much lower then that atm:

AdNCmFZ.png

That's under heavy load (Hunt Showdown 190fps with everything on high at 1440p)

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I really hope you don't honestly believe that AMD leaving the market would not result in major changes. When the only one left would be Nvidia.

You're not only not right, you are so wrong you should be embarrassed you ever typed it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If you need proof, just examine Nvidia's actions as AMD's share has slipped. Or Intel's when AMD was too far behind to be relevant. The last thing you want is a single player.

AMD is more than capable of competing in the low-mid range, even if they can't compete on the high-end. That's a hell of a lot better than nothing.

Last edited:

GHG

Well the forum members are just smart enough and realistic enough to look at the situation for what it is. There is no one outside of AMD / Nvidia / Intel / Apple that is capable of releasing a competitive product in this space. Intel is showing how even with the means it is a tough road to hoe and Apple seems uninterested in doing anything outside their own systems.

With the way AMD's market share has been degrading recently there is a real risk of them exiting this space. If you would feel better about Nvidia having a near complete monopoly on the space (in the name of better competition no less) go for it.

Maybe in another generation or two Intel will be there, buy you can't really say exactly how committed they ultimately are to GPUs.

The alternative you seek is actually worse. What kind of message do you think it sends the market if everyone were to knowingly purchase subpar or outright broken products en masse?

If AMD end up leaving the GPU market then it's their fault, not my fault for not buying or supporting their subpar products. They need to either use their resources more effectively or GTFO. This isn't a charity, I'm not in the business of handing over my money for inferior products.

Their resurgence in the CPU space was due to them improving their products, no other reason. When I made the switch from Intel to AMD on the CPU side it was because I was getting the best performance for the money along with a platform that I knew would support future chips (and it's worked out perfectly because I've kept the same motherboard for 3 years and now upgraded to a 5800x3d). If they didn't improve then I would have stuck with Intel, it's pretty simple really.

So yeh, in summary if Nvidia end up with a monopoly then it's not actually their fault, it's not the consumers fault either (again, not our problem, our job is to only hand over money for products that are actually worth it), it's the fault of their competitors for repeatedly shitting the bed.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I really hope you don't honestly believe that AMD leaving the market would not result in major changes. When the only one left would be Nvidia.
it wouldn't change a single fucking thing. AMD would leave, Intel would gain a bit more market share and Nvidia would just keep dominating as per usual. Tell me, what would the consequences of AMD leaving the GPU market be?
The 'only one' for most people already is Nvidia and it's because of incompetence like this from AMD's side. They botched the 7000 series launch by lying to their consumers and having terrible prices. they managed to make the 4080 look good and most importantly, price gouged alongside Nvidia and both are now essentially scamming their consumers with terrible value products. They aren't competing as much as they are colluding. they're NOT competition. They're filler. Just like Xbox.

Nvzman

I think at this point it's more obvious than ever that Intel is really our last hope for Nvidia to not just dominate the market. Hopefully Battlemage is a very compelling product with a lot of driver improvements, they've already been doing great work pushing out frequent driver updates on Alchemist.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I think at this point it's more obvious than ever that Intel is really our last hope for Nvidia to not just dominate the market. Hopefully Battlemage is a very compelling product with a lot of driver improvements, they've already been doing great work pushing out frequent driver updates on Alchemist.
yeah it's great how Intel's at least taking a stand. that being said that lack of driver support for older APIs will just ensure that i never buy any of their products because i play quite a bit of older games

the market just needs a mid-range GPU with a killer price tag.....but thay would be too much to ask fot these &-#-%@-$

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I remember when they tried to shit on nvidia in their last keynote

I remember when people used to say smart things in this very forum. Your right though, things would be so much better with no competition, I mean you RTX card would only be triple the price it is now, good idea.
And I own an RTX card....... yet I can still see this.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If you need proof, just examine Nvidia's actions as AMD's share has slipped.
Yes. With AMD still in the market. Nvidia has become more ballsy despite AMD not leaving at all. Who's to say they won't just keep price gouging even with AMD in the background to 'compete'? AMD leaving wouldn't change much
Or Intel's when AMD was too far behind to be relevant.
again... with AMD still in the market. Intel was improving none of their products and their CPUs were consistently mediocre. And they got away with that because AMD was not fucking trying at all.

If you're in a race with a turtle, there's no reason to try. It's always certain that you'll easily win. It's not much different from just doing time trials on a track, just that you've got this turtle on the floor. This is the situation with Nvidia and AMD right now. AMD is sitting back and laying on the floor while Nvidia is lapping them.
I remember when people used to say smart things in this very forum. Your right though, things would be so much better with no competition, I mean you RTX card would only be triple the price it is now, good idea.
And I own an RTX card....... yet I can still see this.
And people like you prove my point exactly. I hate strawman arguments.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
honestly with the newest drivers i was noticing crashes and a couple graphical issues on my end. i chalked it up to hardware failure but no the new drivers are just ass. I'm so glad that this news is out, otherwise my GPU would likely be dead now. It's a shame too since the previous few drivers i used before this one were quite good and reliable.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Yes. With AMD still in the market. Nvidia has become more ballsy despite AMD not leaving at all. Who's to say they won't just keep price gouging even with AMD in the background to 'compete'? AMD leaving wouldn't change much

again... with AMD still in the market. Intel was improving none of their products and their CPUs were consistently mediocre. And they got away with that because AMD was not fucking trying at all.

If you're in a race with a turtle, there's no reason to try. It's always certain that you'll easily win. It's not much different from just doing time trials on a track, just that you've got this turtle on the floor. This is the situation with Nvidia and AMD right now. AMD is sitting back and laying on the floor while Nvidia is lapping them.

And people like you prove my point exactly. I hate strawman arguments.

LOL, the worst thing ever on any forums is the person who throws out "strawman" arguments in a debate, invariably they are the person with zero leg to stand on. It's sad really.

Buggy Loop

The year is 1998

We have
ATI rages series for a while, with the first 2D/3D accelerator.

3DFX’s voodoo 2 which is super successful and voodoo banshee for 2D/3D

Matrox G200 which seemed like the company name would have an alternative 3D performer while being king of multi monitors

Imagination technologies had the powerVR2 in Dreamcast and was promising for its later entry on PC

The new comer Nvidia Riva TNT..

We have games launches such as
Half Life
Grim Fandango
Thief the dark project
StarCraft
Baldur’s Gate
Shogo mobile division
Fallout 2
Falcon 4.0
Tom Clancy’s rainbow 6
Unreal