• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD 6000 GPUs are dying

Banned
Well well well

They still didn't even address Radeon VII dying, when you utilize that HMB memory too much.

All in all, don't buy Radeon

I mean even without those issues I think you don't have to tell people to not buy them lol people are already not buying them because they're a full gen behind in every way

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
it wouldn't change a single fucking thing. AMD would leave, Intel would gain a bit more market share and Nvidia would just keep dominating as per usual. Tell me, what would the consequences of AMD leaving the GPU market be?
The 'only one' for most people already is Nvidia and it's because of incompetence like this from AMD's side. They botched the 7000 series launch by lying to their consumers and having terrible prices. they managed to make the 4080 look good and most importantly, price gouged alongside Nvidia and both are now essentially scamming their consumers with terrible value products. They aren't competing as much as they are colluding. they're NOT competition. They're filler. Just like Xbox.
Impressive tirade. Why don't you drop AMD a line and tell them what they screwed up here as you seem to know for sure what the problem is and that it was incompetence on their part.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Impressive tirade. Why don't you drop AMD a line and tell them what they screwed up here as you seem to know for sure what the problem is and that it was incompetence on their part.
what else could it be? this never happened with previous drivers. and the new drivers are just unstable trash in general

GymWolf

Fine wine^tm

Jesus Christ AMD..

To think they threw shade at Nvidia.. can’t spell KARMA without RMA

7lZwLKch.jpg

poppabk

what else could it be? this never happened with previous drivers. and the new drivers are just unstable trash in general
We don't even know if this is widespread - given the numbers that this guy is seeing at a single repair shop in Germany? there should be reports from all over the world. Plus why are they sending it to a repair shop and not getting it replaced under warranty?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
you are on a topic that is literally the result of AMD being not competitive and outright negligent

Lol, based on what conclusive evidence? Once article means they are all bad? Could easily be one bad manufacturing batch. I mean we all know ALL Samsung phones light on fire, right? And that they are not completive and outright negligent!!!!!! Please, this place is too much.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I mean we all know all Samsung phones light on fire, right?
LITERALLY THEY DO.

it's no longer just an issue exlcusive to the note 7, all of their phones have significant battery issues no other company has, including other android manufacturers like Xiaomi, Oneplus, LG, Sony, etc

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
No. That is not a good temperature.

Mine was too but it depends on your fan profile and if you've OC'd or Undervolted your card.

Since this news I've undervolted a bit further and cranked up the fan speeds. It sounds like a PS4 Pro lifting off into space now but at least the temps are around 72c instead of 90+.

EDIT: Oh wait... 1080p/60fps with those temps is a bit odd I would say. I play at 160+ fps on 1440p and my temps are much lower then that atm:

AdNCmFZ.png

That's under heavy load (Hunt Showdown 190fps with everything on high at 1440p)
No, those temps were when playing Warzone at unlocked fps, as much as my GPU could pull until it reached 95+% of use because the CPU barely being used (I have a Ryzen 5600x).

I should check how to improve temps but maybe that's because I live in a place where 24-31 °C ambient temperature is around average.

DaGwaphics

The alternative you seek is actually worse. What kind of message do you think it sends the market if everyone were to knowingly purchase subpar or outright broken products en masse?

If AMD end up leaving the GPU market then it's their fault, not my fault for not buying or supporting their subpar products. They need to either use their resources more effectively or GTFO. This isn't a charity, I'm not in the business of handing over my money for inferior products.

Who the hell ever even suggested anyone purchase broken products or suggested it wouldn't be AMD's fault if they exited the market?

Certainly not me, or anyone else I've seen post here. LOL

I simply said that their recent string of fumbles was unfortunate and that the GPU market needs them (which it clearly does). AMD cards might not be the best out there but they do offer buyers another option if Nvidia goes completely insane.

With that said, I do think advocating for their failure is not that bright, even if they aren't competing as well as they maybe should be.

Banned
LITERALLY THEY DO.

it's no longer just an issue exlcusive to the note 7, all of their phones have significant battery issues no other company has, including other android manufacturers like Xiaomi, Oneplus, LG, Sony, etc

it's not the battery that's the issue, it's the fact that they don't leave room for them expanding, which all of them do if they go unused for extended periods of time.

DaGwaphics

Yes. With AMD still in the market. Nvidia has become more ballsy despite AMD not leaving at all. Who's to say they won't just keep price gouging even with AMD in the background to 'compete'? AMD leaving wouldn't change much

Them leaving would literally change everything. As it is, they are always one new architecture away from being the best there is, that still pumps the breaks on Nvidia quite a bit, as it continued to do with Intel.

Things would have been much, much worse in both cases if no other option existed. There would be a good chance that overall development would stagnate as well.

THE DUCK

LITERALLY THEY DO.

Lol you are seriously dillisional. If its on youtube it must be true! I bet you think the earth is flat, all the elections were stolen (except for the ones your party), we never went to the moon, an alien shot jfk, all samsung phones are bad, amd is bad. Ok.

On a side note, I once had burn in on an lg TV, so they are all bad, and I once had an lg phone battery swell, so they are all bad too.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Mocking begets mocking...

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

That's a feature in some countries

True, if it had a leg to stand on, not some obscure report from one batch in one country......Jack Ryan would want more evidence.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Obscure? AMD has been all over the tech news lately. And not in a good way. Nvidia has been getting mocked for its pricing. So what?

Talking specifically about this one report.....not everything amd is going through in the past 8 weeks.

Hoddi

Lots of bad takes in this thread. When people talk about AMD's shoddy drivers then it's about their poor OGL and D3D11 performances. Not kernel mode crashes or dead GPUs which have also affected nvidia cards in the past.

nvidia had an entire class action suit against them for a similar issue. Only it was in the laptop space so you couldn't even replace the GPU.

GHG

Gold Member
Who the hell ever even suggested anyone purchase broken products or suggested it wouldn't be AMD's fault if they exited the market?

Certainly not me, or anyone else I've seen post here. LOL

I simply said that their recent string of fumbles was unfortunate and that the GPU market needs them (which it clearly does). AMD cards might not be the best out there but they do offer buyers another option if Nvidia goes completely insane.

With that said, I do think advocating for their failure is not that bright, even if they aren't competing as well as they maybe should be.

Again, the GPU market doesn't "need" AMD if this is how they are going to be. The GPU market needs a company that's actually going to do what it takes to actually compete with Nvidia in a meaningful way, not a company whose GPU division keeps on showing their incompetence.

Current AMD have brought us current Nvidia. Even worse than that, current AMD are even attempting to behave like current Nvidia (in terms of their pricing and arrogance in their PR/Marketing) despite not having the products befitting of their attitude.

Most people do not see AMD GPUs as an option and for good reason, their market share is what they deserve and that will continue to be the case until they improve.

Most rational consumers don't buy products worrying about faux "monopolies", and most rational consumers do not purposefully spend their hard earned cash on inferior products just to "support" some supposed underdog in the hope that one day they will get better. There is nothing unfortunate here, it's all of their own doing.

Last edited:

Banned
Again, the GPU market doesn't "need" AMD if this is how they are going to be. The GPU market needs a company that's actually going to do what it takes to actually compete with Nvidia in a meaningful way, not a company whose GPU division keeps on showing their incompetence.

Current AMD have brought us current Nvidia. Even worse than that, current AMD are even attempting to behave like current Nvidia (in terms of their pricing and arrogance in their PR/Marketing) despite not having the products befitting of their attitude.

Most people do not see AMD GPUs as an option and for good reason, their market share is what they deserve and that will continue to be the case until they improve.

Most rational consumers don't buy products worrying about faux "monopolies", and most rational consumers do not purposefully spend their hard earned cash on inferior products just to "support" some supposed underdog in the hope that one day they will get better. There is nothing unfortunate here, it's all of their own doing.

Sick Burn GIF by MOODMAN

Hoddi

AMD's PR department is an issue all by itself. They're stuck in that 'come at me bro' fratboy mentality going against a giant.

But the actual products themselves aren't nearly as bad as some are letting on. They're still mostly fine even if they aren't all that special.

AMD's PR department is an issue all by itself. They're stuck in that 'come at me bro' fratboy mentality going against a giant.

But the actual products themselves aren't nearly as bad as some are letting on. They're still mostly fine even if they aren't all that special.
In most cases they are a better value, can be had at or close to MSRP. For the people out there who don’t require the top end of the stack, who want real value out of their money, it’s been tough to beat AMD for a long time.

Hoddi

In most cases they are a better value, can be had at or close to MSRP. For the people out there who don’t require the top end of the stack, who want real value out of their money, it’s been tough to beat AMD for a long time.
Yes, and even moreso now that games aren't shipping on OpenGL/D3D11. I've avoided AMD GPUs for over a decade because of their driver performance issues but those reasons are basically gone now.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Those are serious cracks. I've seen small pits on Nvidia GPUs before causing chipdeath (thankfully not in person) but not much like that without say a delid tool on CPUs or blunt force being involved.

Based on the video and the follow up photos... I think repaste and reassembly, then disassembly caused the top of the already cracked die just to adhere to the cooler this time making it look so uh extra fucked.
Sounds like it is just the one that has cracked so far, though unlike what wccf have reported? More to be (re)opened and checked out of the pool of 61 dead ones. Not to downplay that all of the rails that are shorted on all the failed units of course.

If you have a 68XX or 69XX card it does seem like rolling back to Adrenalin 22.5.1 (WHQL) would be wise - just in case.

Last edited:

poppabk

I’ve never had this issue with nVidia.
Then you haven't been in the PC world long enough. I've only ever had one GPU die on me - a GTX 760. Nvidia had one period where pretty much all their laptop GPU's eventually would go bad. I have a 6900xt so I'll be keeping an eye on this, but without significant reports from all over the world I'll not start worrying just yet.

DaGwaphics

It's unfortunate for consumers, surly. Especially the ones with the fried cards. And for those that like technological progress because any rival is better than no rival. Of course consumers don't think about monopolies until the effects of said monopoly start to slap them in the face, which is starting to happen a little now with the 4000 series.

I've always purchased Nvidia myself, but I'm not some blind loyalist that has convinced myself that you can't play games with a Radeon card. The 6000 series prices were even quite good for the performance provided once the discounts hit. The 6600xt kicks the 3060's ass in most games and costs less and that's the class of cards most people are buying anyway. I'd like to see AMD do well, at least better than they have been, in hopes that they could build on that going forward. But, I'd never argue that there isn't a sheep mentality in play and that Nvidia doesn't have a major brand power advantage (they obviously do).

But, again, I never advocated for buying or not buying anything. The Nvidia fanboys just get fired up real easy.

IMO AMD should have been a $100-$200 dollars more aggressive with 7000 series prices, they need to have an advantage in price to performance to have a chance, but I don't work there so there isn't much I can do about it. LOL And for those that don't think AMD makes a difference, that new 4070ti would have been $899 at minimum if the 7900xt didn't exist, that's the benefit of even below average competition (you saved $100). If AMD had been more aggressive you would have saved more. If Nvidia had 70% of the market instead of 90% you wouldn't have been charged more than $699 for it tops.

Last edited:

njean777

The GPU market does not need current AMD. The GPU market needs a company to step up to the plate and be competent enough to compete with Nvidia.

I don't know what it is with this forums obsession of getting behind "competition" (even if said "competition" isn't actually competitive in any way) even if it means opting for a subpar product.

Doesn’t AMD make the console gpus? I think we need them, but the dedicated card side of AMD does need to step up.

Tams

Gold Member
The GPU market does not need current AMD. The GPU market needs a company to step up to the plate and be competent enough to compete with Nvidia.

I don't know what it is with this forums obsession of getting behind "competition" (even if said "competition" isn't actually competitive in any way) even if it means opting for a subpar product.

Yes it does.

So, you going to step up to the plate, bud? You seem to think it's that easy.

Top Bottom