• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD confirms that RDNA3 7000 series of graphic cards are launching this year

SantaC

Lisa Su:

Demand for our product is very strong, and we look forward to another year of significant growth and share gains as we ramp our current products and launch our next wave of Zen 4 CPUs and RDNA 3 GPUs. We have also made significant investments to secure the capacity needed to support our growth in 2022 and beyond.

Nextgen battle with Nvidia will be interesting for sure.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm interested to see how strong preformance is in regards to ray tracing, its getting utilised more thanks to its inclusion in the current gen consoles. Nvidias jump from the 2000 to 3000 series was huge, hoping AMD manage to nail a similair style of gain as having two rival companies with similar preformance across all areas is a boon for the consumer.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
But at what cost? I would love to get a gaming PC and one that would last me a long time before upgrading, but I can't justify the current insane prices.

hlm666

I'm interested to see how strong preformance is in regards to ray tracing, its getting utilised more thanks to its inclusion in the current gen consoles. Nvidias jump from the 2000 to 3000 series was huge, hoping AMD manage to nail a similair style of gain as having two rival companies with similar preformance across all areas is a boon for the consumer.
They need to aim higher than matching 3000 series, nvidia have cards coming aswell and one would expect them to make some improvement in RT performance aswell.

GreatnessRD

Really excited to see the MCM cards in action. Crazy to think that Navi33 might be out my 6800 XT at launch. What I'm not looking forward to AMD and Nvidia's offering being spaceheaters. If those wattages are true, sheesh, lol.

Haggard

Banned
"Launching"
8KTtscB.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Needs to actually compete on the raytracing front and more bad news for other manufacturers if AMD has secured considerable manufacturing at TSMC.

we need a complete reset to allow manufacturing to get back to normal. That sudden increase in demand due to Covid has fucked everyone.

TSMC should not be the only key manufacturer for these companies, it’s fucked.

Irobot82

Needs to actually compete on the raytracing front and more bad news for other manufacturers if AMD has secured considerable manufacturing at TSMC.

we need a complete reset to allow manufacturing to get back to normal. That sudden increase in demand due to Covid has fucked everyone.

Nvidia used Samsung this gen.

Wooxsvan

great if i can easily buy one. So underwhelmed with the general hardware market until supply is meeting demand. meh

VFXVeteran

Banned
Since 3000 series cards just came out last year, I'm not looking for anything more advanced than the 3x-series cards. I suspect that 3x can last at least another 2yrs.

Larogue

Intel & Samsung will catch up the next 2-3 years.

Samsung will be the first to use GAA @ 3nm. TSMC won't have that till 2nm.
And Intel will be the first to launch 2nm silicon or 20A as they gonna call it.

But for the near future, AMD gonna dominate the market in both CPUs & GPUs for having the best silicon in the market right now, TSMC's 5nm N5P.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Since 3000 series cards just came out last year, I'm not looking for anything more advanced than the 3x-series cards. I suspect that 3x can last at least another 2yrs.
Everything 3060 and up are more powerful than the consoles, so I don't see why they wouldn't unless we keep getting horribly unoptimized stuff like every major release in the last year.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Intel & Samsung will catch up the next 2-3 years.

Samsung will be the first to use GAA @ 3nm. TSMC won't have that till 2nm.
And Intel will be the first to launch 2nm silicon or 20A as they gonna call it.

But for the near future, AMD gonna dominate the market in both CPUs & GPUs for having the best silicon in the market right now, TSMC's 5nm N5P.
Ooh we are switching to Angstroms.

Lisa Su:

Demand for our product is very strong, and we look forward to another year of significant growth and share gains as we ramp our current products and launch our next wave of Zen 4 CPUs and RDNA 3 GPUs. We have also made significant investments to secure the capacity needed to support our growth in 2022 and beyond.

You mean next battle with scalpers availability and msrp prices.

It'll be interesting, for sure, but AMD needs their own DL upscaling technique and better RT support to be able to compete. Nvidia is killing it in those areas.

SolidQ

It'll be interesting, for sure, but AMD needs their own DL upscaling technique and better RT support to be able to compete. Nvidia is killing it in those areas.
There will be machine learning, and also alot patents for Ray Tracing including RT multisample

GreatnessRD

I've still never even seen a 6000 series card come in stock anywhere.
Really? Where do you live? Outside of the beginning of '21, the 6000 series have consistently been on shelves and especially at my local Microcenter. Nvidia's mindshare is so crazy that those were the cards that weren't in stock anywhere. Hopefully the 7000 series is really competitive with Nvidia's 4000 series or better. Will be good for the consumers who are able to get their hands on one. I do think supply will get better in the second half. Especially if AMD is indeed bringing out their 6000 series refresh as rumored for June/July.

Also, VFXVeteran VFXVeteran Nvidia 3000 series came out in '20. Time is flying like crazy.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Id bet a wonder woman in pants holiday 2022 Nvidia arent even sweating cuz "hopefully" more games come out with raytracing and they can just keep pimping RT slides if....if theyve lost the raw rendering battle.
And with games like Dying Light 2 already here as GPU benchmarks you can all but guarantee its gonna be on their slide.

bsivXRT.jpg

prl28Np.jpg

^Raytracing performance across multiple cards.
The highlit numbers are the averages.
AMD is basically fighting with Nvidias lastgen cards.
Can't wait to see how MCM cards are going to push things forwards. Also interesting to see how nvidia is going to react.
Did AMD confirm they are going MCM with RDNA3?

We already know that Hopper might have an MCM version(maybe only the range topper).....but Ada Lovelace is going to monolithic.

Kenpachii

Id bet a wonder woman in pants holiday 2022 Nvidia arent even sweating cuz "hopefully" more games come out with raytracing and they can just keep pimping RT slides if....if theyve lost the raw rendering battle.
And with games like Dying Light 2 already here as GPU benchmarks you can all but guarantee its gonna be on their slide.

bsivXRT.jpg

prl28Np.jpg

We already know that Hopper might have an MCM version(maybe only the range topper).....but Ada Lovelace is going to monolithic.

No clue, rumors are RDNA3 top end will most likely be MCM, could very well be that Nvidia will release hopper as TOP end also. And we see a hybrid gen.

The main focus amd needs to have is to come up with a DLSS alternative as of now even there native quality is worse then dlss quality and with dlss the leap away from that 6000 series cards is even worse.

Last edited:
Really? Where do you live? Outside of the beginning of '21, the 6000 series have consistently been on shelves and especially at my local Microcenter. Nvidia's mindshare is so crazy that those were the cards that weren't in stock anywhere. Hopefully the 7000 series is really competitive with Nvidia's 4000 series or better. Will be good for the consumers who are able to get their hands on one. I do think supply will get better in the second half. Especially if AMD is indeed bringing out their 6000 series refresh as rumored for June/July.

Also, VFXVeteran VFXVeteran Nvidia 3000 series came out in '20. Time is flying like crazy.

I live in the US and have been trying to get one since release day. Literally any one of the 6000 series. I wanted a 6800xt or a 6900 but had to give up and get a Nvidia card since I couldn't get an AMD. I'm subscribed to those Twitter bots that inform you of stock drops. The few times I've gotten a message that they were in stock, by the time I pulled up the website (never more than a few minutes) they were gone.

I built two PC's in 2021. I wanted one with an AMD and one with a Nvidia GPU. Instead I have a 3090 and a 3070ti. The only cards I could get a hold of. Both founders editions. I should mention I only wanted the founders/reference editions.

I do not live near a microcenter. I'm happy with my cards don't get me wrong, it's just not what I wanted.

Black_Stride

No clue, rumors are RDNA3 top end will most likely be MCM, could very well be that Nvidia will release hopper as TOP end also. And we see a hybrid gen.

The main focus amd needs to have is to come up with a DLSS alternative as of now even there native quality is worse then dlss quality and with dlss the leap away from that 6000 series cards is even worse.
Hopper isnt a gaming GPU.
Just like Volta wasnt a gaming GPU.
Nvidias gaming GPU is going to be Ada Lovelace.

Kenpachii

Hopper isnt a gaming GPU.
Just like Volta wasnt a gaming GPU.
Nvidias gaming GPU is going to be Ada Lovelace.

Hopper is mcm, they can change the name all they want, but if there higher end is mcm its hopper if the other ones are not then those are ada.

If all are mcm, then ada was canned.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Hopper is mcm, they can change the name all they want, but if there higher end is mcm its hopper if the other ones are not then its ada.
Yes we know Hoppers top end chip(s) will(might) be MCM.
But they are for Datacenters and shit, so no gamer will actually see them.
Volta chips had HBM memory....i doubt youve ever even heard of someone using a Volta card.

They are completely different architectures built for totally different things, so using a Hopper chip as a Geforce chip wouldnt make sense.
And is beyond unlikely.
The only reason laymen even know about Hopper is because Nvidias Dev sites and roadmaps listed it and people guessed Hopper was the next Geforce/Quadro.
The same thing which happened when Turing was spinning around will happen again this time, people were hoping/guessing that Volta was the Titan class chip and Turing was the Geforce chip.....that wasnt the case then, its not the case now.
They wont release a Hopper chip as a consumer product there wont be any gaming drivers for it.

Kenpachii

Yes we know Hoppers top end chip(s) will(might) be MCM.
But they are for Datacenters and shit, so no gamer will actually see them.
Volta chips had HBM memory....i doubt youve ever even heard of someone using a Volta card.

They are completely different architectures built for totally different things, so using a Hopper chip as a Geforce chip wouldnt make sense.
And is beyond unlikely.
The only reason laymen even know about Hopper is because Nvidias Dev sites and roadmaps listed it and people guessed Hopper was the next Geforce/Quadro.
The same thing which happened when Turing was spinning around will happen again this time, people were hoping/guessing that Volta was the Titan class chip and Turing was the Geforce chip.....that wasnt the case then, its not the case now.
They wont release a Hopper chip as a consumer product there wont be any gaming drivers for it.

Hopper (microarchitecture)​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
Nvidia Hopper
History
PredecessorLovelace
Hopper is the codename for Nvidia's GPU microarchitecture that will succeed Lovelace. It is named after the American computer scientist and United States Navy Rear Admiral Grace Hopper, whose surname came from her husband, Vincent Foster Hopper. In the original schedule, the Hopper generation should have come first before Lovelace and thus would have been the successor of Ampere but as press experts are assuming, in December 2020, due to the growth of AMD's offers, the Lovelace design saw prioritization.[1] It was once rumored to be Nvidia's first generation of GPUs that will use multi-chip modules (MCMs).[2][3][4][5]

Its nothing but a name for the next gpu series of nvidia like ampere and like hopper. It's mostly known for mcm design and after loveace. But both could come together at the same time or they could even skip ada and move to hopper or whatever floats there boat.

Last edited:
Rasterization wise, the 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 --- all competitive for the most part, but nVidia kills it with DLSS and ray tracing, and that is where AMD really needs to focus in on.

SmokSmog

Guys, Hopper is a compute chip for servers.
Next gaming architecture is called Lovelace, top dog code name is AD102 with 144SM ( 18432 FP32 cores)

In theory AD102 with 18432 cores at 2,5ghz can push 92TF FP32

My speculation, only AD102 is confirmed to have 144SM.
AD102 144SM 2,5ghz 450W 92,2TF FP32
AD104 90SM 2,5ghz 300W 57,6TF FP32
GA102 84SM 1,8ghz 450W 38,7TF FP32 <------------- RTX 3090Ti
AD106 60SM 2,5ghz 200W 38,4TF FP32
AD107 40SM 2,5ghz 125W 25,6 TF FP32

Last edited:

manfestival

bsivXRT.jpg

prl28Np.jpg

You know, I have seen this comparison before but a part of me makes me really wonder. Since I have not seen data that matches this. In fact, even many of the sources like gamers nexus and even hardware unboxed often have the 6800 and 6800xt beating their rivals in rasterization at 1440p on a game average scale. I know this picture is more referring to RT but we still at a point where RT is more of something to try to justify the purchase and not really that justifiable if you want high frames(100fps+). The compromise for something you aren't even sure you will notice isn't worth it right now. Maybe with the next gen of hardware.

Top Bottom