• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD confirms Zen 4 for 2022 - Will have 3D chiplet stacking which doubles L3 cache

SantaC

AMD has confirmed that its next-generation Zen 4 powered Ryzen and EPYC CPUs will be launching next year. In addition to the announcement, AMD also demonstrated its latest 3D V-Cache tech that will be coming to future generations of processors.

AMD Confirms Zen 4 Ryzen & EPYC CPUs Coming Next Year - Will Feature 3D V-Cache Stack Chiplet Design, Demos 64 MB L3 Cache Ryzen 9 5900X Prototype

Papacheeks

Banned
no pcie5 though.
better to skip zen4.

How you do not have a troll tag in your avatar is fucking beyond me. Maybe know wtf your talking, then you can post on tech threads.

PCIE 5 has a lot of caveats to reach band width parameters, it will require crazier power phase requirements on boards and through the chipset design itself. Which is why AMD is taking it's time. It's like you forgot AMD had PCIE GEN 4 way before nvidia and has the better solution.

They are so far ahead that if they wait to 2023 for PCIE GEN 5 they still will be ahead of intel.

longdi

Banned
How you do not have a troll tag in your avatar is fucking beyond me. Maybe know wtf your talking, then you can post on tech threads.

PCIE 5 has a lot of caveats to reach band width parameters, it will require crazier power phase requirements on boards and through the chipset design itself. Which is why AMD is taking it's time. It's like you forgot AMD had PCIE GEN 4 way before nvidia and has the better solution.

They are so far ahead that if they wait to 2023 for PCIE GEN 5 they still will be ahead of intel.

Intel new mainstream cpu releasing this Year will have pcie5. sorry AMD

martino

did i miss something ? isn't Ader lake supposed to be for end of this year with pcie 5.0
i'm waiting for this support and whichever has it first will be my go to choice on that criteria alone

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

PCIE Gen 5 is currently set to launch Holiday 2021 with Intel's new chips. As long as there isn't a delay that is :)

Papacheeks

Banned
did i miss something ? isn't Ader lake supposed to be for end of this year with pcie 5.0
i'm waiting for this support and whichever has it first will be my go to choice on that criteria alone

ALDER lake has been delayed till 2022.

And I highly doubt we even see pure saturation on PCIEGEN 4 by then. Amd is working on their new design which will be PCIE GEN 5 after Zen 4.

martino

ALDER lake has been delayed till 2022.

And I highly doubt we even see pure saturation on PCIEGEN 4 by then. Amd is working on their new design which will be PCIE GEN 5 after Zen 4.
i missed that info.
Amd still has a chance then
what i know is the more current context last the bigger my expansive potential become.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
i missed that info.
amd still has a chance then

What do you mean has a chance? AMD is kicking the shit out of intel and has for a while. DId you see all the people on youtube that are trashing what Intel showed? Compared to what AMD showed for features, and roadmap, they seem to have a clear gameplan.

Mark my words the slow transition of the V-CACHE, will make its way to GPU's in the form of small cache/ssd storage built on the gpu. When direct storage comes out and developers start making games built around ssd's AMD will have the better roadmap.

Your going to see some crazy shit in the next year or so in terms of tech changes in how cpu's, gpu's are built. Already seeing it now.

V-CACHE is a stepping stone to the new I/O solutions planned. Which is why AMD is waiting on getting these things set before pushing GEN 5 PCIE.

FireFly

feels good to have since intel is giving to us this year. dont forget rtx-io and directstorage are coming. more nvme the better!
DirectStorage works with PCIe 3.0 SSDs and means you need *less* bandwidth, not more. It's good to future proof, but 7GB/s is already beyond PS5 speeds.

martino

What do you mean has a chance? AMD is kicking the shit out of intel and has for a while. DId you see all the people on youtube that are trashing what Intel showed? Compared to what AMD showed for features, and roadmap, they seem to have a clear gameplan.

Mark my words the slow transition of the V-CACHE, will make its way to GPU's in the form of small cache/ssd storage built on the gpu. When direct storage comes out and developers start making games built around ssd's AMD will have the better roadmap.

Your going to see some crazy shit in the next year or so in terms of tech changes in how cpu's, gpu's are built. Already seeing it now.

V-CACHE is a stepping stone to the new I/O solutions planned. Which is why AMD is waiting on getting these things set before pushing GEN 5 PCIE.
i thought Intel would be de facto my choice because they would push pcie 5.0 first
of course i will choose amd if they both have it around the same time.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
DirectStorage works with PCIe 3.0 SSDs and means you need *less* bandwidth, not more. It's good to future proof, but 7GB/s is already beyond PS5 speeds.

I/O customizations for chipsets are the current future. Obviously as seen PS5 loading speed what is currently out is enough, the difference is in the custom I/O solution. WHich we are seeing the beginning of with V-CACHE. This will bleed over to GPU's, may or maynot be in RDNA 3 what ever they have planned beyond that is where the total shift will happen.

GPU's with V-CACHE, and a new custom pipeline.

That with direct storage will put PC back to where Sony is on their custom solution. But we wont see these cards till 2023-2024.

i thought Intel would be de facto my choice because they would push pcie 5.0 first
of course i will choose amd if they both have it around the same time.

You need to read up on some things. PCIE GEN 5 is not the be all, PCIE GEN 4 has hardly been around super long and has not hit full saturation yet. There's a reason AMD is not focusing on it currently. Everything they showed to me shows they know where the future is. Gen 5 PCIE is more or less just the new standard for PCIE. AMD when they have PCIE GEN 5 will have all their customizations like V-CACHE reiterated on, along with their GPU's to go along with GEN 5 saturation and chipset changes.

To me this is more important than just having more PCIE lanes.

More later this year and into next we will start hearing more about V-CACHE or something similar for GPU's.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You can use it to reduce CPU overhead and you can use it to get data directly in GPU VRAM and decompressed there, but the point of the work done for XSX and PS5 is also to enable much lower latency for small transfers as the console’s have had their smallest RAM increase in many many years and are betting of fast SSD’s to help make up for it (see PS5 adding a DRAM cache for the Flash controller and additional SRAM inside the new I/O processor.

Papacheeks

Banned
After going back and watching intel's bad computex keynote, they hardly mention alder lake. They say they have more to share later this year, but confirm no release dates.

So take that for what it is. They have working samples, but to me that doesn't say launching in 2021.

FireFly

I/O customizations for chipsets are the current future. Obviously as seen PS5 loading speed what is currently out is enough, the difference is in the custom I/O solution. WHich we are seeing the beginning of with V-CACHE. This will bleed over to GPU's, may or maynot be in RDNA 3 what ever they have planned beyond that is where the total shift will happen.

GPU's with V-CACHE, and a new custom pipeline.

That with direct storage will put PC back to where Sony is on their custom solution. But we wont see these cards till 2023-2024.
Well, V-CACHE doesn't solve the issue of getting data from main memory into VRAM. It just means that you will need to retrieve data less frequently from VRAM, once it is there. We are talking about 192 MB here.

Papacheeks

Banned
Well, V-CACHE doesn't solve the issue of getting data from main memory into VRAM. It just means that you will need to retrieve data less frequently from VRAM, once it is there. We are talking about 192 MB here.

Correct, but changes are being made by AMD on their new arch they have, but are not ready to show. Expect to see some crazy stuff in a year or two with V-CACHE and usign chiplet design an I/O integration.

There's a reason they are not focused on certain things like PCIE gen 5. ANd that would be thats being developed for these new designs for 2022-beyond.

longdi

Banned
looks like amd will release zen3+ with the vcache this year to compete against intel alder lake

Top Bottom