• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Fidelity FX Review - Featuring RAGE 2

bee

been using the reshade version this afternoon on my 2080ti and the division 2, running 1440p@85% resolution with this sharpening shader (sharpening in game = off) works an absolute treat and genuinely can't tell the difference from native 1440p, cheers amd!

Last edited:

CuNi

Gotta be honest, it took me a few seconds to figure out what actually changed in the 1st picture and I wouldn't be able to tell what changed in the 2nd without those sliders... Either I'm growing old or that does barely change anything..
I think such subtle changes are wasted on high action games and I see good potential for mystery games or games in general where you have the time to look at your surroundings instead of action/fps games...

What I want to say is, that if this comes for nearly no performance hit, I could see a few instances where this ends up being useful but else?
Maybe those are just really really bad example screenshots...

It's all subjective... To some people TAA and a slightly blurrier more temporally stable image looks better than a sharper, more aliased image... Hardware Unboxed said one looks better than the other.. it's up to each individual person to decide if it's worth the performance hit. In the Metro Example I gave... on the 5700XT.. is running the game at 70% 4K + RIS and losing almost 50% of your framerate worth the visual improvement over 1440p+RIS?? The only person who can decide that, is you. But in this case, they said they thought DLSS looks better than RIS at 1440p.
For Metro Exodus, not in general.

And I never took one game and then extrapolated it across all games... I took an example that was compared and spoke about it. In fact, I say this in a post above
Yet your rather celebratory, "in your face" behavior suggests otherwise.

thelastword

Banned
For Metro Exodus, not in general.
For what it's worth, when normal DLSS did not produce the desired results in Metro.....4A devs went back and applied a sharpening filter to the DLSS in a patch, I keed you not.....However, if you go back and watch Tim's video on that, DLSS had already taken out native details by reconstructing the image and it still didn't look good imo….The sharpening just exposed DLSS's shortcomings some more as you saw some moire patterns on the image, yet people have to understand that there is no artefacting with RIS.....Going back to Tim's video, I think 1440p upscaled is a better image in terms of native composition and retained detail over 4K DLSS (which is 1440p)..…

Metro is also a DX12 game, so we can easily do comparisons (don't have the game though)........But there's no way, RIS which is an adaptive solution that does not remove detail, but instead enhances low contrast scenes is worse than 4K DLSS, even with sharpening.....

thelastword

Banned
So let's stop this argument right now...….DLSS vs RIS vs NV Sharpening

At 1080p or 1440p or 4k.....DLSS will never look as good or have more detail than RIS, Even when RIS+TAA
is used, which is a fair argument because DLSS replaces TAA......RIS shows an artefact free image where it's image is enhanced from native....

Just watch this video, it will explain thing better than me, lots of screen comparisons in the video...I won't post them all, but you guys need to watch this......Tim was plain wrong, 1440p DLSS does not look better than RIS 1440p, that's just impossible....

Preview pics, Best to watch the video below it....

ZG4LYLF.jpg

HlzKVML.jpg

meYHh6c.jpg

Ivellios

So let's stop this argument right now...….DLSS vs RIS vs NV Sharpening

At 1080p or 1440p or 4k.....DLSS will never look as good or have more detail than RIS, Even when RIS+TAA
is used, which is a fair argument because DLSS replaces TAA......RIS shows an artefact free image where it's image is enhanced from native....

Just watch this video, it will explain thing better than me, lots of screen comparisons in the video...I won't post them all, but you guys need to watch this......Tim was plain wrong, 1440p DLSS does not look better than RIS 1440p, that's just impossible....

Preview pics, Best to watch the video below it....

ZG4LYLF.jpg

HlzKVML.jpg

meYHh6c.jpg

Wow DLSS is horrible in these images.

Top Bottom