• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Processors Lose 15% Gaming Performance with Windows 11, L3 Cache Latency Tripled (Was a bug, fix incoming)

Leonidas

Mod edit:

Thankfully, both issues can be fixed via software updates, and AMD is working with Microsoft to push fixes for both issues through Windows Update, in an update rollout scheduled within October 2021.

Seems like Ryzen loses a massive 10-15% in Windows 11, with increased cache latencies.

Zen3 was only 1-2% faster than Intel previously, so it seems that they could be behind in the double digits of percentages, compared to the fastest Intel CPUs, now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kacho

Gold Member
the-lion-king-lion-king.gif

My i7 3770 getting closer to being a keychain decoration. I've never had a CPU go for so long. Never needed to upgrade it till Windows 11 told me so.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Till AMD comes out with their next CPU and I'm saying this as an 8700k owner. Also I'll probably be buying a 1200k

nani17

are in a big trouble
Or until Microsoft just deploys the update in the next week to fix what is a bug.

Edit: Thanks, Mods, for correcting yet another terrible post by Leonidas Leonidas

(sorry, dude, but I say this as someone cheering for Intel's comebackl)
Ah, it's a bug thanks for informing me.

No processor is gaining or losing anything, it's just W11 that is shitty.
Every day we have a news saying that W11 makes CPUs slower, other day that it makes faster, other day makes just some slower, other day makes just some faster... It's W11 that is being launched unfinished and is not working right.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
No processor is gaining or losing anything, it's just W11 that is shitty.
Every day we have a news saying that W11 makes CPUs slower, other day that it makes faster, other day makes just some slower, other day makes just some faster... It's W11 that is being launched unfinished and is not working right.
I've used it for 3 weeks now on a 5950X without problems. Been testing games, emulators, Adobe CC, Blender, streaming and really tried to break something - but it haven't..

PhoenixTank

I expect they'll have it fixed before 2025, eh?

High penalties on both sides if HVCI gets enabled too - OEMs are apparently meant to ship with that on for 11? No idea if that can be "fixed", beyond turning the feature off afterwards.

Banned
but neogaf members said performance is more or less the same on their AMD based system

well to be honest, if you aren't playing games at 200+fps you will not really notice a difference. any shitty CPU can play games at 60fps, and with most AAA games you will be GPU limited WAY before you ever will be CPU limited.

playing many modern games my new 5600X I gust got basically is at 30%-40% usage even at high framerates above 100fps

so this will only really be an issue if you wanna play the typical e-sports games like Valorant or CS:GO and you are among the more hardcore players that try to at least get 2x of your monitor refresh rate in order to have super low input latency, playing at the lowest settings, maybe even lower resolution than your panel can output.
so if you are playing Valorant at 288fps or even higher, this might become an issue... if not, even at 144fps the CPU barely gets used.

and even in those games you are more likely to be GPU limited before CPU limited unless you have a 3080 or 3090

edit: just looked it up, a 5600X can play Valorant at well above 400fps and will be at 70% usage at most if you don't run a high end GPU to push it above 500fps

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
As someone with a Ryzen gaming PC who just updated to Windows 11 this morning, I don't like this. Looks like it'll be patched soon anyway so no big deal.

but neogaf members said performance is more or less the same on their AMD based system

If you're not playing on a high refresh rate monitor with VRR then there's every chance performance was more or less the same for you. If your machine's max performance goes from 120fps to 110fps but you're playing at 60fps then you wouldn't notice any difference.

Last edited:

lils

see this right here is why i think intel's strategy of "trust microsoft to make a decent scheduler that takes advantages of the big+little core processors" is very... brave

howitis3

never upgrade too a new os in its first year. the only people upgrading their os to windows 11 should be the people buying the new intel cpu that really needs windows 11 to work properly. everyone else needs to hold off.

And this is why I don't switch over to new OS's straight away, give it a few years. Although think Windows 10 might be the last MS OS I use, Proton is improving greatly!

WitchHunter

Banned

Seems like Ryzen loses a massive 10-15% in Windows 11, with increased cache latencies.

Zen3 was only 1-2% faster than Intel previously, so it seems that they could be behind in the double digits of percentages, compared to the fastest Intel CPUs, now.
And will you be able to discern that 10%? Nope. CPUs are way too powerful for everyday tasks, and for gaming too.

People obsessing over framerate and whether horseshit is edible, should get a life.

fersnake

so funny, as a amd user im kinda tired of this bs, every windows release they' always working with windows bla bla bla yet this happens.

GreatnessRD

This thread is giving Userbenchmark vibes. Don't like nothin' bout it.

With that said, hope Microsoft and AMD get a fix out soon with that rushed mess known as Win 11. Also, can't wait to see how the performance of Win 11 is with Alder Lake since its supposed to take advantage of Big/Little.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
see this right here is why i think intel's strategy of "trust microsoft to make a decent scheduler that takes advantages of the big+little core processors" is very... brave
Exactly..

Kenpachii

Anybody that upgrades to windows 11 in this beta stage asks for problems.

Wait until its a year on the market and move over unless u need a feature that u can't live without on w11 there is zero reason to upgrade to windows 11 unless u are a tech enthusiast.

Last edited:

draliko

If is a thread about intel cpu winning a by 3% margin (at double the price) or amd losing 10% for a temporary bug, you alredy know it will be a leonidas thread... dude get a life... you're worse than console fanboys...

winjer

Gold Member
Even since Microsoft fired the Windows QA team, that windows users became the beta testers.

And to think that a few days ago, we had outlets claiming that Windows 11 was the best OS ever.
Idiot journalist can't do a decent review, even if their lives depended on it.

nemiroff

Gold Member
If is a thread about intel cpu winning a by 3% margin (at double the price) or amd losing 10% for a temporary bug, you alredy know it will be a leonidas thread... dude get a life... you're worse than console fanboys...

It's not even generally 10%, that's usually towards the more extreme outliers. AFAIK according to Tom's Hardware it's not every app and game. In some of the apps affected it's generally more like 3-5%. And again; It's a temporary issue. So yeah, while I think criticism of this happening and not being caught before release is legitimate, the nerd-rage extrapolation towards a dystopian Ragnarok is quite silly.

DrAspirino

Banned
Ah, it's a bug thanks for informing me.
The thing is that it's not "just a bug", but a way how the CPU scheduler works at kernel level, which is different between intel and AMD.

It's not that Windows 11 has a bug, but that it's kernel cpu scheduler is optimized for how intel handles multiple threads. To fix that, Microsoft would have to take into account how AMD handles multi-thread and then "create" a second scheduler just for amd.

Not to justify Microsoft, but on PC-land, you can't optimize "too much" for a single cpu manufacturer because of things like these.

GreatnessRD

So when its patched that means Zen3 will go back to being 1-2% faster than current Intel CPUs, right? But then Alder Lake would've dropped, so Intel might take the faster percentage back until Zen 3D cache chips. Or do you think Alder Lake will just bulldoze through Zen3 and Zen3D refresh?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Win11 is now in open beta, but they don't tell you that :messenger_kissing_smiling:, Do not use it right now if you use your machine for gaming and that sort of stuff.

I have it running on one of my laptops to play with it, but i won't upgrade my pc to W11 for some time.

Last edited:
On an 5950x with a 3090.. and installed the windows 11 update yesterday, then played some battlefield 2042 beta, and the first few hours of Far Cry 6...Didn't have any real issues I noticed

Top Bottom