• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: Radeon 7900XTX ($999) & 7900XT ($899) Announced | Available December 13th

TheBreezyBB

I keep reading RTX this and that but why is RTX so important right now?

This just remind me of the the time crysis came out and it was just unoptimized mess.

What matters now is going from 500$ to 900$ for mid-tier cards is simply ridiculous.

If you have money to throw away fine, this is not for you anyway.

GreatnessRD

This just remind me of the the time crysis came out and it was just unoptimized mess.

What matters now is going from 500$ to 900$ for mid-tier cards is simply ridiculous.

Mindshare is why its important.

But I REALLY get a chuckle out of it when its folks who're buying the 3050 and 3060 talking to me about raytracing and why DLSS is god mode. Like bruh, no disrespect, this not even for you mah boi. With that said, all these new prices are atrocious. We need the high-end to be $699 again like it was for stock price Ampere and RDNA2. Let's go.

Crayon

RT is cool but essentially too expensive. I likeley could hapily use a 7600 but you need to go like two tiers up to turn on rt and get similar performance.

Speaking of tiers up....
I'm getting momre convinced by the argument that the $900 7900XT is actually a lot more like an overpriced 7800XT. Not that different from what nvidia did with the 40-shady.

"Finally, RDNA 3 has tuned other elements of the architecture related to the command processor, geometry, and pixel pipelines. There's also a new Dual Media Engine with support for AV1 encode/decode, AI-enhanced video decoding, and the new Radiance Display Engine.

The Command Processor (CP) updates should improve performance for certain workloads while also reducing CPU bottlenecks on the driver and API side. Hardware-based culling performance is also 50% faster on the geometry side of things, and there's a 50% increase in peak rasterized pixels per clock."

So it seem's like AMD have finally updated the command processor and geometry handling for RDNA 3, something which they haven't done since Vega. Interesting.

OZ9000

Banned

We're a generation too early for RT. Heavy performance penalty for little visual gain. Though DLSS and FSR are pretty good tbh.

AMD shared RT performance.
rx-7900-xtx-ray-tracing-perf.jpg

These RT numbers are abysmal. Going from 12-13 FPS to 21-24 FPS in Dying Light 2 and CyberPunk 2077.

The RTX 4080 is much faster than this at a lower TDP.

Even the 4070 might perform better than this in RT.
Abysmal? The performance is equal to the 3090 Ti in RT.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

RT is cool but essentially too expensive. I likeley could hapily use a 7600 but you need to go like two tiers up to turn on rt and get similar performance.

Speaking of tiers up....
I'm getting momre convinced by the argument that the $900 7900XT is actually a lot more like an overpriced 7800XT. Not that different from what nvidia did with the 40-shady.

It would be hard to categorize it like that. AMD has released some benchmarks for it now and is showing it having a relatively healthy uplift over the 6950. As long as there is uplift over the 6950 and the price didn't go up (in this case the launch MSRP has fallen by a $100), you are at least getting some fps per dollar improvement. The 4080 is basically a wash, you get a higher performance level but they charge you for it linearly with the frames (almost). Considering inflation and all that the 7900xt doesn't look that bad even if you ignore the xtx (though the xtx seems like the better value at just $100 more).

Crayon

We're a generation too early for RT. Heavy performance penalty for little visual gain. Though DLSS and FSR are pretty good tbh.

Abysmal? The performance is equal to the 3090 Ti in RT.

For real. The rt performmance looks good to me as long as they can keep that price advantage going down the stack.

It would be hard to categorize it like that. AMD has released some benchmarks for it now and is showing it having a relatively healthy uplift over the 6950. As long as there is uplift over the 6950 and the price didn't go up (in this case the launch MSRP has fallen by a $100), you are at least getting some fps per dollar improvement. The 4080 is basically a wash, you get a higher performance level but they charge you for it linearly with the frames (almost). Considering inflation and all that the 7900xt doesn't look that bad even if you ignore the xtx (though the xtx seems like the better value at just $100 more).

Performmance per dollar wise it does look better. I think the argumments I was hearing were based momre on the number of shaders, etc.

Leonidas

In terms of Cyberpunk it's useless and neither is playable.
When you turn on DLSS2 and FSR2 it becomes playable, and the performance gap could widen.

AMD is deliberately showing only 4K RT results (seemingly their best case scenario vs. Nvidia), which already appear a tier behind Nvidia (and failed to state which FSR internal res. was used).

Can't wait for independent benchmarks next month.

Last edited:

Irobot82

When you turn on DLSS2 and FSR2 it becomes playable, and the performance gap could widen.

AMD is deliberately showing only 4K RT results (seemingly their best case scenario vs. Nvidia), which already appear a tier behind Nvidia (and failed to state which FSR internal res. was used).

Can't wait for independent benchmarks next month.
Same, although I don't know why. I ain't buying this shit. I'll be luck to be a 3070ish/7800xtish pleb.

Crayon

And RT in Cyberpunk is a crap. That's why will be remade.

RT right now is a fade like 3D was.

A 4090 runs Cyberpunk @40 fps lol

We've been in the current rt era since the 2000 series launched years ago. It's going to be great. It's just been going really really slow... There's enough games using it, just not using it in any way that offsets the performance hit. It'll get there eventually.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DLSS maxed Cyberpunk runs at 4k70fps~. It's a showcase game or a graphical benchmark. That's very good and without 3.0.

Without RT, it blows up and doubles. Easter is amazing one way or another. I expect roughly the same out of the XTX.

Crayon

Asus released PSU recommendations for their 7900xtx's. Same as 4090. So we may see those fabled 3ghz cards.

3ghz aib cards would be kind of a bombshell. Factory oc cards could actually mean somemthing for a change. Too bad they'll hike the price so much but it would still be a hell of a move for amd to leave that much on the table for them to compete with.

Irobot82

3ghz aib cards would be kind of a bombshell. Factory oc cards could actually mean somemthing for a change. Too bad they'll hike the price so much but it would still be a hell of a move for amd to leave that much on the table for them to compete with.
A couple more weeks and we'll know for sure. We may see some AIB's use 3 8pins. I can't see why they can't reach 3GHZ, AMD's down slide says the GPU's are architected for that speed.

DaGwaphics

It would be better for players with smaller cases if they would segment the lines more like that, create more models with reference size coolers for the base models and then go all out for the others. The way it is there was hardly any reference sized 6800s.

CLW

IF the XTX performs like it appears it will I’m gonna bite the bullet and build my first gaming pc. So which AIBs in terms of quality build and performance should I start looking/thinking about?

Crayon

IF the XTX performs like it appears it will I’m gonna bite the bullet and build my first gaming pc. So which AIBs in terms of quality build and performance should I start looking/thinking about?

$1,000 is still sooooooo much. Are you going all out with 4k/120 or vr or anything crazy like that?

Irobot82

For me it's always been
AMD = Sapphire
Nvidia = EVGA (RIP)

Reactions: CLW

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

hinch7

Playing around with a potential XTX build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xNFdY9

Not 100% sure on anything (never built my own before) so ANY suggestions/critiques/insults appreciated!
Decent build. That cooler is a bit overkill for the 13600K unless you are after aesthetics and/or plan on overclocking.

An air cooler like the AK620 will do fine and last longer. As in Aio coolers life are limited by its pump cycles and eventual failure. Save yourself $135 and have a quieter system https://www.newegg.com/deepcool-ak6...e=ak620-_-35-856-200-_-Product&quicklink=true

Another case consideration maybe the Fractal Torrent. Both highly rated on Gamers Nexus.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLW

CLW

Decent build. That cooler is a bit overkill for the 13600K unless you are after aesthetics and/or plan on overclocking.

An air cooler like the AK620 will do fine and last longer. As in Aio coolers life are limited by its pump cycles and eventual failure. Save yourself $135 and have a quieter system https://www.newegg.com/deepcool-ak6...e=ak620-_-35-856-200-_-Product&quicklink=true

Another case consideration maybe the Fractal Torrent. Both highly rated on Gamers Nexus.

Yeah I was debating 13700/13600 and no clue on the cooling level required for those so thanks. I am going for a white “theme” if practical just like the look.

Also considered the Torrent bc of GN just liked the look of Hyte a bit better but if I go Air cooled I’d probably switch to the Torrent

Celcius

°Temp. member
Do you think a 7900 XTX would be able to run Borderlands The Presequel at 4K 360 fps? (Which would require DisplayPort 2.1 to display properly)

Do you think a 7900 XTX would be able to run Borderlands The Presequel at 4K 360 fps? (Which would require DisplayPort 2.1 to display properly)
You have to wait for the tests.Who knows maybe with FSR or lower resolution and lower settings.only 2 weeks left till reviews maybe earlier for leaked info

Top Bottom