• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: Radeon 7900XTX ($999) & 7900XT ($899) Announced | Available December 13th

Kataploom

Gold Member

Utter shite.
Dude just underclocks cards to simulate other cards.
But thats not how the world works.

There's alot of fake comparison videos like these, please don't fall for it. Another type of this is the phone camera comparison videos.

The rule of thumb to know which are the legit ones is by seeing the reviewers showcase the hardwares personally first.
Ok, thanks... Yeah want believing that so much but as many stores cream street date days before release I decided to doubt anyway lol

I don't know if this have been posted, also it's not exactly s reliable source but here's some benchmark comparing 7900 xtx to 4090:

This is amazing for the xtx 10-20 fps difference is nothing if you would overlock the xtx by very little that would even out ok so he didn’t have a xtx then that is not exactly accurate

Last edited:

FingerBang

MLID apparently has gotten some graphs from one of the reviewers. The 7900 xtx beats the 4080 16GB comfortably but sits well behind the 4090. The 7900xt sits between a 4080 12GB (now 4070TI) and the 4080 16GB.

PS: You have to skip ahead, the first half is a review

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I mean, there’s too many rumours now around this and even talk of an RDNA3+ with hardware fixes now circulating on rage3d and anandtech forums, will be interesting times in 2 days if all this flushes down the toilet as bullshit or if something went terribly wrong at AMD

I'm note sure about MLiD's slides, the leaked synthetic benchmark tests show that XTX is barley pulling ahead of the 4080 and even losing in some scenarios. We're not even taking into account things like DLSS 2 and 3, or ray-tracing benchmarks in which the 4080 will very likely curb stomp the XTX. All this and the 4080 will still have a lower TDP than the XTX. So much for AMD's efficiency advantage

It's a shame the 4080 is priced so poorly, but it's worked well to AMD's advantage.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Saw this in the DB reddit, it reminded me of AMD vs Nvidia. Literally the same as Goku (Nvidia) vs Vegeta (AMD), Goku is always a step ahead of him lol.
main-qimg-21a4d6cebd55a596c59ed6573e9b3461-pjlq

FireFly

I mean, there’s too many rumours now around this and even talk of an RDNA3+ with hardware fixes now circulating on rage3d and anandtech forums, will be interesting times in 2 days if all this flushes down the toilet as bullshit or if something went terribly wrong at AMD
If the card delivers the performance promised in the slides, it will be fine. The Twitter posts seem to be about the card failing to compete with the 4090 due to the V/F curve not being where AMD expected. And that makes sense when you think that the 6700 XT has a higher boost clock while being the same die size, on 7nm.

twilo99

I'm note sure about MLiD's slides, the leaked synthetic benchmark tests show that XTX is barley pulling ahead of the 4080 and even losing in some scenarios. We're not even taking into account things like DLSS 2 and 3, or ray-tracing benchmarks in which the 4080 will very likely curb stomp the XTX. All this and the 4080 will still have a lower TDP than the XTX. So much for AMD's efficiency advantage

It's a shame the 4080 is priced so poorly, but it's worked well to AMD's advantage.

The efficiency advantage was mainly due to Nvidia using inferior Samsung chips, which is the main reason I stayed with AMD last Gen, thats gone now..

The efficiency advantage was mainly due to Nvidia using inferior Samsung chips, which is the main reason I stayed with AMD last Gen, thats gone now..

It makes sense now, but mistakingly a lot of posters including myself thought it was due to AMD's R&D focus on efficiency.

FingerBang

If the 7900xtx doesn't beat the 4080 by a good margin, it's DOA and the price will go down quickly. It needs to be at least 10% faster in raster to be competitive.
The 7900xt should be at least $100 cheaper, ideally more.

Weirdly enough it seems both AMD and Nvidia ended up not reaching their goals. The 40 series has oversized coolers that are hard to justify with their power consumption. It's obvious the goal was to push them more and I'm willing to believe the story of the cards melting since, well, that is happening even at 450W.

AMD was supposed to release a card that broke 3Ghz and what we got is a much tamer product that won't be able to get closer to the top. I hoped in a Zen 3 moment, but this looks worse than a Zen 1.

twilo99

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

No one is going to buy them if the performance rumors are true
Who would pay $1100 for a card considerably inferior to a $1200 4080?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
In the UK and EU the 4080 priced extremely badly.

If the prrformance of the XTX is as promised by AMD on their presentation then it might be a good purchase.

Dec 12 can't come soon enough.
If the performance is what they said then I am 100% in on an all red new build as well

DaGwaphics

I was just going to comment on that. It would be necessary to compare like for like models, AIB vs. AIB. But I do agree that if the real-world pricing got within $100 AMD would need to make an adjustment. As long as they can stay $200 underneath in the real-world they should be fine. In the US real-world prices on the AIB 4080 cards look to hover around $1350 to $1400, giving some space for the $1,099 AMD product.

If AMD is going to try and get a mainstream result for at least one card (maybe get 2 or 3% on the steam chart), they will probably need to do it at the lower end (where RT isn't as much of a focus due to available performance in general). That's why they should have launched the 7600xt or even 7700xt back when Nvidia still had a glut of 3000 series cards to sell and couldn't really respond. That was a golden opportunity for them.

Last edited:

Crayon

Uh oh spaghetti-ohs. Fingers crossed for a good showing in game performance. Failing that, more impressive n32 and 33 chips.

Crayon

I wouldn't see that performance as a failure as long as you are still getting good performance for your money. That might take till they get into the more aggressive price drops tho. That's why rdna2 compares more favorably now than it did when just a bit cheaper than Nvidia.

Last edited:

GymWolf

In the UK and EU the 4080 priced extremely badly.

If the prrformance of the XTX is as promised by AMD on their presentation then it might be a good purchase.

Dec 12 can't come soon enough.
How many chance that the 7900xtx is not priced like 1300-1400 euros?

Crayon

People really need to stop believing all these rubbish YouTube/twitter "leakers".

There's literally zero reason to disbelieve AMD's performance claims.

The hype and expectations leading up were hella dumb. I'll always eat that shit up and even fall for some of it but you should never forget just rumors. Nobody knows how this will play out on Monday.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's only a 2-3 day wait on the reviews. I would say that if there's smoke there's fire but wait for the reviews.

As much as the media has been harping on Nvidia for prices, they've been pretty honest in their reviews about how good the performance is minus those prices (excluding the 4090).

That being said, I expect blunt honesty if these cards fall short of what we expect and my expectations are tempered.

Dr.D00p

I expect blunt honesty if these cards fall short of what we expect and my expectations are tempered.

What people expect is, as usual, unrealistic. They want raster performance 90% of a 4090 for $600 less.

What we'll get with the XTX is a card that most likely trades blows + or - 10% either way, with a 4080, depending on the game, in raster but with inferior Ray Tracing, for a $200 (ish) saving.

People just have to come to terms with it and decide whether that $200 saving is worth having inferior, last generation, Ampere level RT performance, if not, then get a 4080 or 4090.

coastel

What people expect is, as usual, unrealistic. They want raster performance 90% of a 4090 for $600 less.

What we'll get with the XTX is a card that most likely trades blows + or - 10% either way, with a 4080, depending on the game, in raster but with inferior Ray Tracing, for a $200 (ish) saving.

People just have to come to terms with it and decide whether that $200 saving is worth having inferior, last generation, Ampere level RT performance, if not, then get a 4080 or 4090.
This. Here in the UK the 4080 is £1,099 at the moment and I'd imagine the 7900 xtx to come in around that price aswell. So it's down to how much you want better ray tracing. I've ordered the 4080 but if the benchmarks show a large difference for 7900 xtx then I'll send the 4080 back and get that, but I just can't see it, but do hope I'm wrong.

I don't usually buy GPUs when they first come out so maybe its usually like this, but im finding it strange there are no cards actually on sale yet with it being so close to launch.

The Skull

Agree. People expect the much smaller company to beat Nvidia at a much reduced cost.

Some of the takes in here are ridiculous.

GreatnessRD

I'm starting to believe that RDNA might have serious issues on the hardware side. Because their is no way that all of a sudden their 9 series GPUs are battling Nvidia's 80 series. So it tells me something happened that AMD couldn't fix or fixed too late and we'll see it in the 50 series refresh or something. But it will still be a solid success if it beats the 4080, but it can't just squeak passed it, I think it'll need to be convincing. Any other way, then folks will just wait for the rumored Nvidia price cut on the 4080 mid December. Still excited for Monday with that said. Really love the look of the reference cards. Wish I were in the running for an XTX, I'd love to have one. Looks clean.

twilo99

I'm starting to believe that RDNA might have serious issues on the hardware side. Because their is no way that all of a sudden their 9 series GPUs are battling Nvidia's 80 series. So it tells me something happened that AMD couldn't fix or fixed too late and we'll see it in the 50 series refresh or something. But it will still be a solid success if it beats the 4080, but it can't just squeak passed it, I think it'll need to be convincing. Any other way, then folks will just wait for the rumored Nvidia price cut on the 4080 mid December. Still excited for Monday with that said. Really love the look of the reference cards. Wish I were in the running for an XTX, I'd love to have one. Looks clean.

Yes, something doesn't seem right but I guess we will find out in a few days.

4080 at $1000 would've been game over for AMD

DaGwaphics

Really love the look of the reference cards. Wish I were in the running for an XTX, I'd love to have one. Looks clean.

I think it was really smart of them to go with the limited power and smaller design, even if it is taking a bit off the top performance wise. It does help them out vs. Nvidia, oddly enough it's a bit of a reverse on what happened with Intel/AMD in regards to AM5.

If going Nvidia = a new PSU and Case, that just adds extra costs, that might sway a few folks to go AMD as well. I'm hoping they perform and sell well, AMD needs to gain some market share back. Much better for consumers that way.

Buggy Loop

12-13 hours (is it 9am EST?) for reviews

I love tech launches. I'm skipping all these cards this gen but, always fun to see a new product.

Will Nvidia announce a 4080 price drop tomorrow morning too? Wouldn't be surprised. With the rumours of AMD having 200k XT & XTX cards, i doubt they want to make that too easy to fly off the shelves (depending on performances of course)

Last edited:

hlm666

12-13 hours (is it 9am EST?) for reviews

I love tech launches. I'm skipping all these cards this gen but, always fun to see a new product.

Will Nvidia announce a 4080 price drop tomorrow morning too? Wouldn't be surprised. With the rumours of AMD having 200k XT & XTX cards, i doubt they want to make that too easy to fly off the shelves (depending on performances of course)
I think if nvidia were going to decrease the price of the 4080 they would have done it before the rdna3 reviews so it would be more damaging.

On a different note where the farrk are the reviews, This bloody launch has been one of the most frustrating ones in a long time. FFS AMD I just want to see 3rd party data so I can make a choice and just get on with things.

GreatnessRD

Yes, something doesn't seem right but I guess we will find out in a few days.

4080 at $1000 would've been game over for AMD
Yeah, tomorrow is going to be a huge day for the DIY community in the hunt for a GPU. Hopefully, AMD doesn't disappoint.
I think it was really smart of them to go with the limited power and smaller design, even if it is taking a bit off the top performance wise. It does help them out vs. Nvidia, oddly enough it's a bit of a reverse on what happened with Intel/AMD in regards to AM5.

If going Nvidia = a new PSU and Case, that just adds extra costs, that might sway a few folks to go AMD as well. I'm hoping they perform and sell well, AMD needs to gain some market share back. Much better for consumers that way.
That's fine with them going for a more efficient design. I just don't like that the top enthusiast card is now a competitor to Nvidia's 2nd card. That used to the reserved for the x800 class of card. Like, the 6950 XT has gone toe to toe with the 3090/Ti and cost significantly less. The 3090 was $1400-$2000 depending on how unfortunate you were for your upgrade at the time. Now they're saying our top card isn't competing with their top card any longer and that's alarming to me. Even with that said, long as the 7900 XTX convincingly beats the 4080, I'll feel better about it. If it trades, that doesn't seem to bode well for the rest of the lineup stack. And I only say this as a consumer who want AMD to compete on all levels with Nvidia as they continue to go unchecked with these crazy prices. Tomorrow will be fun! Hopefully!

b0uncyfr0

Where are those blasted reviews...? Im seeing a lot of sources indicating the xtx is closer to the 4080 than we thought, which I'm okay with.

As long as it costs $200 less!

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Where can you even get these cards at MSRP tomorrow? There is nothing at BB or NE. With Nvidia, at least you could see who had what and what the prices are. There is what, 1 listing on Amazon. Weird.

I have a 4090 but think I want to try to get one of these just because I am addicted to failing to acquire GPUs.

Buggy Loop

Where can you even get these cards at MSRP tomorrow? There is nothing at BB or NE. With Nvidia, at least you could see who had what and what the prices are. There is what, 1 listing on Amazon. Weird.

I have a 4090 but think I want to try to get one of these just because I am addicted to failing to acquire GPUs.

Isn’t it only reference cards tomorrow and AIBs later in like a week? Thought I read that.

GreatnessRD

I'm sure all of the usual suspects will have the cards on launch day

• Microcenter
  • Best Buy
  • Newegg
  • B&H Photo
  • AMD Direct Buy
I'd be surprised if most, if not all don't carry the cards on launch tomorrow.

Top Bottom