• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD to launch Radeon RX 7000 series on November 3rd

AMD has a chance here.

due to Nvidia's weird situation where they clearly renamed the RTX4070 and made it the "RTX4080 12GB" last minute in order to make the high asking price not look like a joke, I think AMD could breach into Nvidia's market share...

IF, and this is a big IF...
if their RT hardware deliver at the very least RTX30 series performance and their memory + raster performance is roughly at the level of RTX40

I think if they can deliver an RTX3060ti competitor that matches it in price (maybe even beats it in price), matches it in RT performance, beats it in raster performance, and has 12GB of memory they could have a card on their hands that could sell really well.

if they do the same with RTX3060 and 3070 tier cards then they really could have a strong lineup.

Nvidia will hold back their mid range 40 series cards until their 30 series stock is gone, and that's the time to strike for AMD
I’m hoping the 7900xt can get near the 4080 in rt performance and beat the 4090 in rasterization

I repeat : They-had-that-opportunity-with-RDNA2

There's no quantum universe magic here where they get 4GHz, MCM on board with more complex communication buses between them with reduced efficiency compared to monolithic, "Destroy" competition and be way cheaper. There's no catching Nvidia pants down on that level, especially since they use the same foundry now. Had they stayed with Samsung..

AMD would have to cut into their margin significantly. As i said, they also had a nice product and opportunity to do that with RDNA 2. They didn't. Had they cut ampere by $200-300 like you hope this new series will do, we would (or should i say should) have totally different GPU market share today with Ampere being at the bottom.

I'm just saying, you're setting this up for a HUGE disapointement. AMD's not running business for fanboy wars with AMD:"Omae wa mou shindeiru" Nvidia:"NANI?" anime moments.
So is the 1k 7900xt dream dead?

I'm only mildly hopeful. I could see them undercutting nvidia by $200 in each of the segments but that's also about it.

I'm less worried about driver issues this time around though. DX11/OGL are mostly out of the picture now which makes their cards far more attractive than they were.
How would it look if amd went insane and priced the 7900 xt at 800$

I repeat : They-had-that-opportunity-with-RDNA2

There's no quantum universe magic here where they get 4GHz, MCM on board with more complex communication buses between them with reduced efficiency compared to monolithic, "Destroy" competition and be way cheaper. There's no catching Nvidia pants down on that level, especially since they use the same foundry now. Had they stayed with Samsung..

AMD would have to cut into their margin significantly. As i said, they also had a nice product and opportunity to do that with RDNA 2. They didn't. Had they cut ampere by $200-300 like you hope this new series will do, we would (or should i say should) have totally different GPU market share today with Ampere being at the bottom.

I'm just saying, you're setting this up for a HUGE disapointement. AMD's not running business for fanboy wars with AMD:"Omae wa mou shindeiru" Nvidia:"NANI?" anime moments.
Although I don't expect AMD to heavily undercut Nvidia there is a big difference with Ampere being priced competitively versus ADA being crazy expensive. Not talking the halo cards but 3080 and below. Yes the pandemic and mining boom caused prices to go up for the 30 series as well but they were launched and available for reasonable prices for a while.

Admerer

Hopefully AMD delivers, but my best guess is they won't be able to touch the 4090 and will be competitive with the 4080 and below but with one caveat.

Since AMD is using a new and very different chip design compared to past GPUs my guess is performance will be all over the place, different game engines will either love or hate the 7000 series.
Some games will perform better than the Nvidia by a good percentage and others will be much slower.

We'll have to wait and see, but thankfully it won't be too long before we find out.

Nvidia TFlop numbers don't mean shit since Ampere, RTX 3070 have 30TF but
it perform the same as 13TF RTX 2080TI
You are right I know.But everyone is using these numbers to determine how strong or powerful a graphics card is.I wanted to show that on paper both cards are nearly equal.

Kadve

Nvidia TFlop numbers don't mean shit since Ampere, RTX 3070 have 30TF but
it perform the same as 13TF RTX 2080TI
You are right I know.But everyone is using these numbers to determine how strong or powerful a graphics card is.I wanted to show that on paper both cards are nearly equal.
Its bits all over again when you think about it. Higher (or lower depending on what hey are pushing) nummer always equals better in marketing speak.

Top Bottom