• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Stories is such a disappointment

as a pretty big fan of American Horror Story, I'm pretty damn surprised how terrible American Horror Stories is. I was really looking forward to an anthology take on the series.

I haven't finished it by so far I've watched:

Drive In
The Naughty List
Feral
Game Over

The only watchable episode was Feral. That one was actually somewhat entertaining. The rest were shit. I can't believe how bad the episodes are given generally how strong most seasons of American Horror Story are.

Anyone else watching this? Thoughts?

I'll probably finish the series and watch Rubber Woman part 1 & 2 tonight along with Ba'al. Not really sure why tho.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The last decent horror flick I've seen where The Witch, Hereditary and Midsommar. I don't want to sound like a pompous prick like I tend to come across but I wouldn't even click on a series called American Horror Stories because the title alone comes across as cliche and mediocre.

So, what's the deal here? Always up for some good horror stuff

Wait what, new season is out? I love AHS even though it's really fucking terrible at times.
This is American Horror Stories, not to be confused with American Horror Story.

It's AHS's take on horror anthology. There is a shit load of references from various AHS seasons. If you are a die hard AHS fan, it is worth watching. Or at least the 2 episodes I mentioned. Or just watch it so you could can form your own opinion.
The last decent horror flick I've seen where The Witch, Hereditary and Midsommar. I don't want to sound like a pompous prick like I tend to come across but I wouldn't even click on a series called American Horror Stories because the title alone comes across as cliche and mediocre.

As for American Horror Story:

I mean this is a TV show on FX. It's not going to be on the same level as a Robert Eggers flick.

Having said that, I find some of the seasons thoroughly enjoyable.

My favorite seasons are probably Murder House (the first season), Asylum and Cult.

Cult is underrated IMO. If i had to give a recommendation for a single season, it would be Asylum though. So start there if you want to give it a try.

As for American Horror Stories:

Not worth watching unless you really dig American Horror Story. I would avoid.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
I like AHS series so maybe I will give it a try.

So they are making next "normal" AHS (without s) season?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
As far as the AHS series. I watched Murder House, Coven and a couple others. Murder House could have been the final season for me. I’ve just been disappointed with the series over the years. I don’t know about this especially since everyone here is saying it’s not that amazing. Black Mirror is pretty good, so if this isn’t better than that. No thanks.

Last edited:
As far as the AHS series. I watched Murder House, Coven and a couple others. Murder House could have been the final season for me. I’ve just been disappointed with the series over the years. I don’t know about this especially since everyone here is saying it’s not that amazing. Black Mirror is pretty good, so if this isn’t better than that. No thanks.
The best episode of American Horror Stories isn’t as good as the shittiest episode of Black Mirror.

Kaachan

I only really liked season 2: Asylum
Pacing starts off slow and doesn't really pack a punch until about half way through but it's all worth it because the second half is seriously awesome
Excellent script and acting, truly stuff of nightmares

Last edited:
MV5BMTU4NzA4MDEwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTQxODYzNjM@._V1_.jpg

Heard excellent things about this show even though I've never watched it.

CAB_Life

Really? The Witch wasn’t scary until the last 5 minutes and Midsommar was pretentious wank that could’ve been made by any college art student had they unlimited funds. Hereditary was decent, though (but Toni Collette tends to carry the films she’s in).

Last scary movie I saw was The Descent. It still hasn’t been topped in terms of building suspense > revelation > horror.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Really? The Witch wasn’t scary until the last 5 minutes and Midsommar was pretentious wank that could’ve been made by any college art student had they unlimited funds. Hereditary was decent, though (but Toni Collette tends to carry the films she’s in).

Last scary movie I saw was The Descent. It still hasn’t been topped in terms of building suspense > revelation > horror.

Yes. Really =)

As you know, everyone has different (primal) fears relating to general or very specific subject matter. The Witch and Midsommar hit that spot for me personally and as such it worked. The Descent is also a good one which speaks to me personally. It's all subjective as you're aware off. =D

Last edited:
Top Bottom