• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American McGee wants to make another Alice game with EA

Hugare

Alice games were great, but they dont hold a candle in terms of critical reception or sales to Dead Space

This dude would be better looking for something new to make instead of holding on the same project for decades now

cormack12

Gold Member
I would love this but I think it's gone on for so long that it will never really live up to expectations. It's going to miss it's little gap in time to launch

McGee is kind of a sad story to me.

He and the team really did something great with the first Alice game back in 2000, but he doesn't own the IP - EA does. It definitely had enough of a following that he could have made a career off building that IP. But instead he had to wait on EA. Must be a miserable situation to be in.

Wonder if he could have pulled an IGA and ripped off his own Alice game with a different setting (Oz would be an obvious one) to transfer the Alice fans over to an IP he controlled. Seems to have worked with Bloodstained.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Would be awesome, but i doubt its gonna happen.

Difference between Dead Space and Alice sales is massive and even then Dead Space took a whole generation to revive

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I think it’s hilarious he thinks Alice is in the same line as Dead Space.

Banned
Alice games were great, but they dont hold a candle in terms of critical reception or sales to Dead Space

This dude would be better looking for something new to make instead of holding on the same project for decades now

well it's the only thing he ever made that saw any sort of success

give it up man. madness returns was a good game but need to move on. it's alice in wonderland...nothing special. i know it's an edgy emo take but still.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The latest creation stemming from McGee's lucrative Patreon has now been shared online. It's a 414-page design bible for what McGee's current project, Alice: Asylum, will entail. A trailer coinciding with the design bible's release has also confirmed a development studio has partnered with McGee for Alice: Asylum's creation. It's named Virtuous and is best known for support work and port development. There's just one issue, though, which is that EA still owns the Alice IP.

At the end of the Alice: Asylum video, McGee adds a strange plea to EA. EA's logo fades into view and the message "Let's Make Impossible Things Happen Together" is shown on-screen. Some might assume that including EA's logo on-screen implies McGee is already working with the publisher to make Alice: Asylum happen. Unfortunately, it seems likely EA is entirely uninvolved at this point.

NahaNago

He should have just created a new series with a similar style. How about Beauty and the Beast and just make the it ridiculously large enchanted castle. Sleeping Beauty's nightmares, Jack and Jill, or just a game on nightmareland with a mixture of psychonauts and alice.

That enchanted castle for Beauty and the Beast sounds really amazing to me.

MrA

Banned
He should have just created a new series with a similar style. How about Beauty and the Beast and just make the it ridiculously large enchanted castle. Sleeping Beauty's nightmares, Jack and Jill, or just a game on nightmareland with a mixture of psychonauts and alice.

That enchanted castle for Beauty and the Beast sounds really amazing to me.
Or just make a new Alice game , every single thing is in public domain, redesign a the characters slightly and don't directly reference the backstory of the previous games and he should be all clear
Whats ea going to do demand he not use public domain call it terrorland or nightmareland.

Or just make a new Alice game , every single thing is in public domain, redesign a the characters slightly and don't directly reference the backstory of the previous games and he should be all clear
Whats ea going to do demand he not use public domain call it terrorland or nightmareland.
True but I don't think he's got the money to make a game even if he wants to. For years I've been hearing about how he has a plan for this game but nothing ever happens. Nobody is willing to give him the money. Yeah I know he has a patreon but it's not bringing the kind of money you need to create a video game lol.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

True but I don't think he's got the money to make a game even if he wants to. For years I've been hearing about how he has a plan for this game but nothing ever happens. Nobody is willing to give him the money. Yeah I know he has a patreon but it's not bringing the kind of money you need to create a video game lol.
Yeah its been going for years, last time i heard he was going to share some "very good news"this year because he has been talking with big publishers about the development of a new Alice game.
I thought maybe this is it 🤷🏻‍♂️but we keep waiting

Puscifer

Gold Member
Replayed the second game recently and was impressed by the hair tech, despite being such an old game and not needing stuff like "Nvidia hairworks" or other performance destroying bloat code.
It used physx for the hair, though

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The first Alice was awesome.

The second was lame AF.
I dont know, when 2nd game released it also came with first game and honestly it was pain in the ass to control. 2nd was very flawed but has much better control and combat and I really dig its art direction.

ungalo

I only played Madness Returns not the first one but damn that was a very, very boring game. There was the art direction and that's pretty much it.

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
Both Alice games are masterpieces in my book.

First one had some of the most unsettling visuals and audio design.

SALMORE

he doesn't need to make it as a triple a or double a game ! just make a good 2D metroidvania game , it will be better and much cheaper

Top Bottom