• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American teens aren’t excited about virtual reality, with only 4% using it daily

Spyxos

Gold Member
hS9z8Gy.png

• Virtual reality hasn’t caught on with American teens, according to a new survey from Piper Sandler released on Tuesday.
  • “To us, the lukewarm usage demonstrates that VR remains ‘early days’ and that these devices are less important than smartphones,” Piper Sandler analysts wrote.
  • Only 4% of teenage headset owners polled used VR daily, the investment firm found.

Virtual reality hasn’t caught on with American teens, according to a new survey from Piper Sandler released on Tuesday.

While 29% percent of teens polled owned a VR device — versus 87% who own iPhones — only 4% of headset owners used it daily, the investment firm found, and 14% used them weekly.

n addition, teenagers didn’t seem that interested in buying forthcoming VR headsets. Only 7% said they planned to purchase a headset, versus 52% of teens polled who were unsure or uninterested.

The survey results suggest that virtual reality hardware and software has yet to catch on with the public despite billions of dollars in investment in the technology from Big Tech companies and a number of low-cost headsets on the market. Teenagers are often seen as early adopters of new technology and their preferences can provide a preview of where the industry is going.

“To us, the lukewarm usage demonstrates that VR remains ‘early days’ and that these devices are less important than smartphones,” Piper Sandler analysts wrote.

The survey also shows that VR is struggling to gain traction as Apple reportedly prepares to announce its own headset as soon as this year. The survey suggests that it may have an uphill climb to convince potential customers.

Facebook parent Meta is also expected to release new virtual reality headsets later this year. Its Quest 2 headset, which was released in 2020, is by far the leader in the market terms of sales, but shipments declined last year, according to analysts.

Piper Sandler’s teen study surveyed more than 5,600 teens in the U.S. in February.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/04/ame...tual-reality-only-4percent-use-it-daily-.html

Last edited:

Sethbacca

It needs smaller form more stylish form factor, and energy efficiency that allows it to be useful for more than 2 hours at a shot. I think more people will be open to it once they can get it in a glasses sized unit rather than having to strap a whole assembly to their face.

MiguelItUp

Can't say I'm too surprised by this. I feel like we haven't had a revolutionary VR game or anything as of late.

Not only that, but I feel like older generations have always been more excited and into VR than the younger/newer ones. I guess this is the closest thing to "proof" we have.

Even though I'm not super into VR, it is really cool to see the evolution that it's gone through. Improved hardware, VR sets with hardware built in, smaller formfactors, etc.

Dural

My 13yo son has had a Quest 2 since Christmas 2021, I'd say he plays it weekly. His most played game is Gorilla Tag.

Minsc

Gold Member
Wow, so Android smartphones have it about 3x worse than VR sets? Looks like about 1/3 as many teens own an android smartphone as those that own a VR device. There's the real story, Google and Samsung should throw in the towel.

daffyduck

Not too surprising. How many teens can afford VR, without help from someone else for the purchase?

A phone sounds like an easier sell.

Matt_Fox

We keep getting told "THIS IS THE YEAR VR GOES MAINSTREAM!!!!".

However Sony's PS VR2, the biggest gaming brand, appears to have sunk like a stone (only 270k sales, ouch).

This poll suggests only one-in-ten teens that have a headset use it weekly? Not looking like VR is hitting the mainstream anytime soon.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Seems like a lot of the sticky content relies heavily on telepresence and other users. Probably the 4% of heavy users are mostly ones who know a critical number of other people with the systems. So much for the scare stories that this technology was supposed to turn people into socially isolated introverts who spend all their time living in game worlds (the horror, the horror).

Spyxos

Gold Member
We keep getting told "THIS IS THE YEAR VR GOES MAINSTREAM!!!!".

However Sony's PS VR2, the biggest gaming brand, appears to have sunk like a stone (only 270k sales, ouch).

This poll suggests only one-in-ten teens that have a headset use it weekly? Not looking like VR is hitting the mainstream anytime soon.
I believe the survey was before Psvr 2 release.

DavidGzz

I barely ever use my Quest 2 which is why I'd never buy something more expensive for now. Maybe once the industry takes it more serious.

Griffon

Younger kids are all over it tho.

Makes multiplayer Quest 2 games practically unplayable for adults (there's only squeakers).

sainraja

VR is too involved. I am surprised that they all keep pushing it to make it a thing. Just give up already lol.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Younger kids are all over it tho.

Makes multiplayer Quest 2 games practically unplayable for adults (there's only squeakers).
I tried Vr chat 1-2 times and it was already almost unplayable. The little kids were just screaming around.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Tbh i am very surprised 4 percent are using it.

I remember how I got slammed in here for saying vr is just a niche gimmick, where people said no it's the new innovative way to play

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
There is nothing compelling and no constant stream of content to keep people interested in VR.

There was a story that Sony cut PSVR2 production, then the story was debunked, but now its true again? Confusing. Has sony released any sales figures. They are usually so gungho in releasing these numbers. Where are they?

Last edited:

PanzerCute

It's always funny to see so many people wanting VR to fail.

Like, why do you care?

VR is never going to be a mass product and a mainstream way of playing video game, and it should realistically stay as a high-end expensive niche for people who want added immersion. Seeing all this negativity on VR threads is ridiculous, as if some people were coming to every HOTAS or expensive Driving Wheels thread to troll people and explain them how this will fail and never be mainstream.

Grow up.

Techies

There was a story that Sony cut PSVR2 production, then the story was debunked, but now its true again? Confusing. Has sony released any sales figures. They are usually so gungho in releasing these numbers. Where are they?
Bloomberg source not very reliable. It's all there is.

The Stig

I have an oculus quest 2. Its great but VR is still in its infancy IMO. I dip in to it with steam now and then to let off some steam at the range in hot dogs horse shoes and hand grenades or star wars squadrons and a few other games but yeah it constitutes maybe 15% of my gaming time.

Mung

4 percent daily? Thats a lot more than I would expect. I'm very much into VR and only play 2 or 3 days a week. And didn't think that high a percentage would have a headset either.

VR has been introduced to consumers in one way or another for decades now and the excuse that keeps brought up each time the fad passes is that the technology is still is early stages LMAO. When will these companies learn that the average consumer does not want to be encumbered and completely oblivious from the real world when enjoying a pass time?

I was coming here to say 4% is higher than I would have expected, but it looks like I've been beaten several times over. Mildly tepid take, but (a) the hardware just isn't at a point where mainstream audiences are going to be interested and (b) there's a lack of "must play" software for hardcore gaming audiences.

Top Bottom