• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: Rebirth

GrayChild

aFR0xcS.jpg

You can’t let out a breath. The creature is only inches away. Its sole purpose - to feed off your terror. And so you crouch in the dark, trying to stop the fear rising, trying to silence what lies within you.

“I know you. I know what you're capable of.”

In Amnesia: Rebirth, you are Tasi Trianon, waking up deep in the desert of Algeria. Days have passed. Where have you been? What did you do? Where are the others? Retrace your journey, pull together the fragments of your shattered past; it is your only chance to survive the pitiless horror that threatens to devour you.

“Do not allow yourself anger, do not allow yourself to fear.”

Time is against you. Step into Tasi’s shoes and guide her through her personal terror and pain. While you struggle to make your way through a desolate landscape, you must also struggle with your own hopes, fears, and bitter regrets. And still you must continue, step by step, knowing that if you fail you will lose everything.

Pre-order (PC):

https://www.gog.com/game/amnesia_rebirth
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/amnesia-rebirth/home

Pre-order (PS4):

Minimum system requirements:
System: Windows 7 / 8 / 10, 64-bit
Processor: Core i3 / AMD FX 2.4Ghz
Memory: 4GB
Graphics: OpenGL 4.0, Nvidia GTX 460 / AMD Radeon HD 5750 / Intel HD 630

Official trailers:

Screenshots:

ss_f3b3687ee3e92d3a5db0fcc1b5da35bf34b8efdd.1920x1080.jpg

ss_03fd84353b2d7b90adbf0e8dba16f30124a549d4.1920x1080.jpg

ss_181f8da62105d593e0b607d42479bae5e3db83b4.1920x1080.jpg

ss_27735984ed3881fe0f9bd2ad82d17257f168e5b7.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Skifi28

Cautiously optimistic. Big fan here, I'd also like to know how the console versions are so I can decide where to get it.

Ar¢tos

I would love to play these games, but they are instant vomit for me.
First person view + wobbling screen (when the character view was distorted) in the first game (remaster) gave me a 3 day nausea.
But I love the art and setting :messenger_loudly_crying:

Paasei

Very excited to play this game. The Dark Descent was so good. Still my all time favorite horror games, as it didn't heavily rely on jump scares. Something so many games get wrong.

Bartski

Gold Member
My final preoder and the last game I’ve been waiting for this gen... SOMA blew my mind and I expect nothing less here, I’m ready

Reviews are out.

IGN:

8/10.

Preordered this a week or so ago, can't wait to play tomorrow. Midnight release here in Germany so I will wait until the next day. Need sleep, yo.

Gamespot:

Also an 8.

Last edited:

Orpheum

Love their games. The Dark Descent is still one of the best horror games out there in my opinion. I just hope the protagonist in this one doesn't talk as much as in the gameplay trailer. Still going to get it regardless

GrayChild

8.5/10 with 18 reviews so far.

Very good scores overall, especially for an indie horror project.

Last edited:

Terce

Unpopular opinion, but I can't stand the Amnesia series.

Loved SOMA though.
Agreed on both points, though the first Amnesia provided some entertaining let's plays, Day9 in particular my wife loves watching and she doesn't game at all.

Arachnid

Holy shit, it's already coming out? Strong marketing

Anyway, I'm hyped. Disappointed to hear that it's a downgrade in terms of fear factor though.

Mozzarella

The first one is one of my favorite horror games ever, after i saw the trailer for this i had doubts it will not live up to the first one, but they also made SOMA and its a special horror game, looking forward for this one, and i will support the devs because i like their work.

Handy Fake

I look forward to Yahtzee Croshaw's take on it, he's a big fan of the series and I do enjoy his Zero Punctuation videos.

Trunim

Liked Amnesia but was too much of a pussy to finish it. Loved Soma. Especially the characters and storyline. Looked this up at the PS store and it was just 29 dollars, so here we go.

Stuart360

Going to watch CohhCarnage play this tomorrow. I quite enjy watching these kind of games, but not playing them.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Even though it's basically the same shit as the first Amnesia and the fact that FG are stuck way in the past with game design which is probably caused by budget/time/stubbornness I still preordered it to support them. Perhaps this is just a side project of theirs and they're making something truly awesome and need more money. I can;t imagine they've been working on this for so many years. No fucking way.

First impressions after my first few hours.

Firstly to the above poster, this game is definitely not a 'side project' it's the product of years of hard work, and if you've been following any of the interviews from the lead designers of this game, you'll know they worked very hard at the horror aspects and updating/changing mechanics/how narrative fits into game play of their past titles.

Now onto my impressions. So far it's very good, it feels a lot more modern then their older games and is a big step up from Soma which I also rate very highly.

The atmosphere is brilliant. The sound design is top tier as is expected of these devs.

The story feels much, much more personal this time round and part of the anxiety and horror is feeling that connection to the main protagonist, so when your put in intense situations (which is often) you want to do everything you can to keep the protagonist safe. The horror mechanics tie very heavily into the narrative this time round, and it works.

Puzzles make a return. Trying to do a puzzle with fucked up things breathing down your neck and stalking you also makes a return. It's high pressure, very intense stuff.

Is it scarier than Dark Descent? So far definitely or at the very least equal to it. It'll fuck with your head and force you to keep going forward even when that's the last thing you want to do.

I'd recommend not watching any reviews of this game by the way because literally everything will be a spoiler. I already had a big aspect of the story and a certain gameplay mechanic which is tied into the narrative spoiled for me by Easy Allies so just a heads up. Try and go in as blind as possible.

Last edited:

Jamesie

Neo Member
Puzzles make a return. Trying to do a puzzle with fucked up things breathing down your neck and stalking you also makes a return. It's high pressure, very intense stuff.

Is it scarier than Dark Descent? So far definitely or at the very least equal to it. It'll fuck with your head and force you to keep going forward even when that's the last thing you want to do.

I'd recommend not watching any reviews of this game by the way because literally everything will be a spoiler. I already had a big aspect of the story and a certain gameplay mechanic which is tied into the narrative spoiled for me by Easy Allies so just a heads up. Try and go in as blind as possible.
Thanks, that's all I wanted (and needed) to know so I'll patiently wait until it releases now (pre-ordered but still waiting for it to unlock).

Reindeer

What does this game look so visually underwhelming compared to Soma that was released 5 years ago by the same studio? I can't imagine Soma having a bigger budget than an established franchise like Amnesia, but maybe it did.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
First impressions after my first few hours.

Firstly to the above poster, this game is definitely not a 'side project' it's the product of years of hard work, and if you've been following any of the interviews from the lead designers of this game, you'll know they worked very hard at the horror aspects and updating/changing mechanics/how narrative fits into game play of their past titles.

Now onto my impressions. So far it's very good, it feels a lot more modern then their older games and is a big step up from Soma which I also rate very highly.

The atmosphere is brilliant. The sound design is top tier as is expected of these devs.

The story feels much, much more personal this time round and part of the anxiety and horror is feeling that connection to the main protagonist, so when your put in intense situations (which is often) you want to do everything you can to keep the protagonist safe. The horror mechanics tie very heavily into the narrative this time round, and it works.

Early OT are always filled with ignorance and fans. If its not a side project then it makes Rebirth even more disappointing. The Dark Descent was a phenomenon. Rebirth so far, is complete opposite. It's not "more personal" and it's hardly horrific. The protagonist talks so fucking much it becomes extremely annoying. It actually ruins the atmosphere, the tension. No one talks that much in tense situations, and she says/thinks the dumbest shit. It's a step down from SOMA and not just visually. It feels exactly like all the wannabe indie studios that you see once on a while pop up on Steam trying to make first person horror games and fail miserably because they think stealth sections and cheap scares is what makes a horror game good. This is not what I expected from the creators of one of the best horror games of all time. Maybe it gets better later in the game.

Ar¢tos

Yes.... This game would surely be a system seller for Xbox and Evil Sony paid to keep it away from them!
DISGUSTING!
It has nothing to do with devs having limited budget/resources and having to pick the platform with the biggest install base first and release for the other ones at a later date.

Early OT are always filled with ignorance and fans. If its not a side project then it makes Rebirth even more disappointing. The Dark Descent was a phenomenon. Rebirth so far, is complete opposite. It's not "more personal" and it's hardly horrific. The protagonist talks so fucking much it becomes extremely annoying. It actually ruins the atmosphere, the tension. No one talks that much in tense situations, and she says/thinks the dumbest shit. It's a step down from SOMA and not just visually. It feels exactly like all the wannabe indie studios that you see once on a while pop up on Steam trying to make first person horror games and fail miserably because they think stealth sections and cheap scares is what makes a horror game good. This is not what I expected from the creators of one of the best horror games of all time. Maybe it gets better later in the game.

Um WTF. I don't know what game you've been playing but it's certainly not this one. I'm hardly a fan, I just know a good game when I play one.

Graphics not as good as Soma?! You must be blind. The talking is really not a massive constant that it ruins the atmosphere and when she does talk it adds to it, not take away from the atmosphere.

It's incredibly more personal, how can it not be when (added spolier tags for those who don't want things ruined)Your really underselling the game and talking total shit. I would advise the people reading this to ignore your words because your talking utter shit.

Calm the fuck down, it's not like this game personally fucked you in the ass.

Jesus

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Um WTF. I don't know what game you've been playing but it's certainly not this one. I'm hardly a fan, I just know a good game when I play one.

Graphics not as good as Soma?! You must be blind. The talking is really not a massive constant that it ruins the atmosphere and when she does talk it adds to it, not take away from the atmosphere.

It's incredibly more personal, how can it not be when (added spolier tags for those who don't want things ruined)Your really underselling the game and talking total shit. I would advise the people reading this to ignore your words because your talking utter shit.

Calm the fuck down, it's not like this game personally fucked you in the ass.

Jesus

Hey, if you're a fan of the average horror game, then good for you. The genre horror relies heavily on the person getting scared, tense, horrified. If the game fails, it's not a good game. It fails for me at least at the moment, remains to be seen once I finished it. Simple as that and stop it with the dumb ass generic "calm the fuck down" replies. No one is being angry lmao. It's been 6 years since Alien Isolation and no horror game I played has managed to surpass it in terms of atmosphere. :(

Shmunter

Yes.... This game would surely be a system seller for Xbox and Evil Sony paid to keep it away from them!
DISGUSTING!
It has nothing to do with devs having limited budget/resources and having to pick the platform with the biggest install base first and release for the other ones at a later date.
I was being candid. You are right of course

GrayFoxPL

Loved the original on PS4, Pigs had cool atmosphere but weak gameplay. Great that dev of the original came back to make this.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.

I concur. I played 2-3 hours last nite and was like 'what am I missing?!?' The critics are praising this and so I went in expecting at least something interesting. What I got was a lot of tiny cut scenes that were not well done, a very confusing sense of where to go, a number of levels that are really hard to see anything in, and a weird pacing where at least for a lot of the first few hours you wander around unsure of what to do, hit some invisible trigger and fall (literally) into the next part of the game. The FEAR mechanic makes little sense- does it hurt you?!? Or is it just an effect? So far, it seems to be just an effect, so why should I care about it?

Ambiance and atmosphere are great. And the opening 10 min are really special and make you go, 'Holy cow! This seems like it's gonna be good AND a real fresh horror game!'

It MAY be those things but after almost 3 hours, I'm about ready to pack it in.

JAFFE

Nixonomics

I concur. I played 2-3 hours last nite and was like 'what am I missing?!?' The critics are praising this and so I went in expecting at least something interesting. What I got was a lot of tiny cut scenes that were not well done, a very confusing sense of where to go, a number of levels that are really hard to see anything in, and a weird pacing where at least for a lot of the first few hours you wander around unsure of what to do, hit some invisible trigger and fall (literally) into the next part of the game. The FEAR mechanic makes little sense- does it hurt you?!? Or is it just an effect? So far, it seems to be just an effect, so why should I care about it?

Ambiance and atmosphere are great. And the opening 10 min are really special and make you go, 'Holy cow! This seems like it's gonna be good AND a real fresh horror game!'

It MAY be those things but after almost 3 hours, I'm about ready to pack it in.

JAFFE

Jesus, I hope I come away with a different experience but I've got a sinking feeling reading some of these impressions.

Top Bottom