• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ampere Estimatez: PS5 sold 21 million, Xbox Series sold 13.8 million.

https://game-news24.com/2022/08/26/according-to-ampere-analysis-ps5-sold-52-more-than-xbox-x-s/

According to the videogame analytics company Ampere Analysis, the PS5 has sold 21 million units since its release in June 2022. Instead, the Xbox series X | S moved to 13 million units over the same time period. That means that the PlayStation 5 sold 52 percent more units than its direct competitor.

Unfortunately, Ampere analysis did not specify a split between PS5 and Digital, nor did it indicate a split in sales between Xbox X and Xbox S. In any case this isn’t official data, but rather a sum of a company’s estimation.

A lot of people online are discussing this numbers as gospel but they don't really make much ense.

Microsoft CEO and Phil iirc, both confirmed that the Xbox Series was doing better than the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One. So we already have an idea what the floor for Xbox Series sales are.

In November 2014, the Xbox One was almost at 10 million sold

https://gamerant.com/xbox-one-sales-10-million-units/

Sold 1.4 million for November NPD for the month

https://xfdev.neogaf.com/threads/np...3-npd-data-error-ac-u-5.950407/post-142975576

And in December NPD sold 1.3 million

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/dece...ons-closes-january-13th.964549/post-147709046

That's just in the US, not including UK and the rest of the world. So Xbox would already be around 14 million by January 2015. Where we are at now August 2022, would be Xbox One in August 2015, so that means 8 more months of sales for the Xbox One, putting it maybe at 15 or 16 million.

There's no way the 13.8 million figure is correct, the Xbox Series consoles would have to be 2 or 3 million behind the Xbox One and that's impossible. i think the real numbers are somewhere between 17-20 million. PS5 was over 21 million sold last month, so it may be at 22 or 23 million by now, which provides a gap that makes much more sense.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Solid numbers, I would say, how much was PS4 in same time-frame?

Given how much cross-gen garbage we are still getting, I would say sales of these consoles are really good.

200.gif

Topher

Gold Member
The 10 million Xbox One "sold" were actually shipped.

"Microsoft is revealing today that it will "shortly" have shipped 10 million Xbox One consoles to retailers. The significant milestone comes exactly three months after Sony first revealed it had hit 10 million sales of its PlayStation 4 console worldwide. Microsoft’s sales figures count devices shipped to retailers, rather than sales directly to consumers. "

Last edited:
When you consider how terrible the first two years of this generation were for Xbox in terms of game output it's not that bad.

The whole theory that the Series S was some sort of genius move that would close the gap has no basis in reality tho, it wasn't able to help that much even with ample stock and deals.

Last edited:

yurinka

13.8M sold is higher than what 360 shipped (not sold through) in the same amount of quarters, 11.6M.

So as Satya Nutella said Xbox Series is the fastest selling Xbox generation launch aligned.

Regarding Sony's distance, even if heavily supply constrained PS5 is almost above x1.6, which is less than the 'above x2' that according to MS are with the other generation. But not sure how PS4 vs XBO were at this point. In the case of 360 vs PS3 it's harder to compare because 360 was released November 2005 and PS3 didn't release in PAL land (PS's biggest market) until Mach 2007, unlike in the other generations they weren't released almost at the same time.
That's just in the US, not including UK and the rest of the world. So Xbox would already be around 14 million by January 2015.
Notice MS mentions 'Shortly, we will have sold in to retailers more than 10 million Xbox One consoles". Notice they are talking about shipped and also that they mention "shortly", which can be a week or a year. But whatever was the case, they got the 10M sold achievement later.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Ampere have access to all the sales data in different markets. They are more reputable than VGChartz and the analyst is friendly with Aaron Greenberg. He probably told him the real number 😁

Aron takes pictures and has relationships with every character, journalist, youtuber... that wants to approach him and that does not mean that he is a source of information.

If so, the same could be said since he usually retweets Vgcharts data also and by the same rule, we could say that Vgcharts data is real and filtered by Aron??

As the OP says, the reality is that these data do not correspond to MS's claims in its official quarterly data.

13.8M sold is higher than what 360 shipped (not sold through) in the same amount of quarters, 11.6M.

So as Satya Nutella said Xbox Series is the fastest selling Xbox generation launch aligned.

Regarding Sony's distance, even if heavily supply constrained PS5 is almost above x1.6, which is less than the 'above x2' that according to MS are with the other generation. But not sure how PS4 vs XBO were at this point.
That 'above 2:1' ratio was achieved at the end of the generation, it was built over the course of the generation with the Xbox One losing a lot of momentum. Earlier last gen the ration was much lower than 2:1 just like this time.

Last edited:
Its tracking to beat it, so your basing your opinion on nothing.
"Tracking to beat it"... now that's a bold assumption. The 360 was on the market for a lot of years, got a second wind from the Kinect success and was going against the controversial PS3 and the nearly bankrupt Sony of that time.

The Xbox One was also on track to beat the 360, selling more unit then it for the same time, until it wasn't anymore.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I think in the end we may have PS4 vs 360 numbers.
For that to happen the console market will have to grow and that seems unlikely given the increase of popularity of PC, hybrid (switch), mobile and cloud.

Fredrik

We know 360 was at 16.3 at the same time period for MS last reporting, for MS to say it's tracking ahead means that is the absolute floor for Series consoles.
Yeah something is fishy here. Either MS is lying to their investors or they were just talking about US when they said Series is ahead of 360 or Ampere is just guestimating like everyone else and did it terribly this time.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

"Tracking to beat it"... now that's a bold assumption. The 360 was on the market for a lot of years and got massive help from the Kinect success and was going against the controversial PS3 and the nearly bankrupt Sony.

The Xbox One was also on track to beat the 360, selling more unit then it for the same time, until it wasn't anymore.
Its not assumption, its been confirmed by Microsoft that Xbox series is the best selling Xbox ever launch alligned.

Stuart360

I think in the end we may have PS4 vs 360 numbers.
I agree, and have been saying the same for a while now. I think the Series consoles will finish around 360 level, while PS5 will still hit 100+mil.
And to be honest, i think MS would be more than happy with that. Console warriors can argue all they want but i doubt even Phil and Satya believe they can 'beat' PS5 this gen.

DaGwaphics

I highly expect Xbox to stop reporting GamePass numbers as well in the near future with the massive gap between GamePass and PS+ numbers.

Why would overall PS+ numbers, that include the base tier which is meaningless to the discussion, stop MS from reporting GP growth?

If anyone would stop reporting numbers there it will be Sony, it's right about now when last-gen users start to disengage. Some potential for losses there for the next few years.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Why would overall PS+ numbers, that include the base tier which is meaningless to the discussion, stop MS from reporting GP growth?

If anyone would stop reporting numbers there it will be Sony, it's right about now when last-gen users start to disengage. Some potential for losses there for the next few years.

Why would GP, that excludes online gaming in its base tier, not be compared?

So Sony at 47M is losing, and MS at less than 25M is winning?

Confused Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Last edited:

jm89

Price increase, Acti-blizz going to Xbox, no power advantage, zenimax goong to Xbox, Playstation is no longer the best option like the PS4 was.
Even with price increase ps5 will outsell Xbox by a wide margin. Ps5 expensive bundles are outselling xbox standalones, and that's with stock issues. And retailers are even putting discounts and bundling on Xbox consoles at RRP to get them off shelves in the uk one of Xboxs strongest market.

Casual market don't care about power, even ms aren't using power as a huge marketing point, move on my man you are bringing poor man arguements from 2020.

Sony exclusives easily stomp over sea of mediocre games that comes out of Bethesda. Starfield is the only hope in the near future and that shit looks underwhelming.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Unfortunately for you that's not what the market and sales are indicating.
Hows that?

What part dont you understand that the Xbox series have sold more then any other Xbox... If they continue to do this it will sell more then the 360, the Xbox series is the strongest Xbox has ever been, they have the most and best studios in xbox history and if the Acti-blizz deal goes through they will arguably have the greatest first party studious in the history of the gaming industry.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah something is fishy here. Either MS is lying to their investors or they were just talking about US when they said Series is ahead of 360 or Ampere is just guestimating like everyone else and did it terribly this time.

There is nothing fishy about Ampere's numbers based on what MS said. At this point in the Xbox 360 lifecycle, Microsoft reported 11.6 million units shipped.

So Ampere's numbers are right in line with that.

And we also have to account that Ampere is more than likely reporting sold through numbers which are less than shipped numbers which is what MS had reported in the past.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Why would GP, that excludes online gaming in its base tier, not be compared?

So Sony at 47M is losing, and MS at less than 25M is winning?

Confused Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

That's how numbers work, yes. If MS goes from 25m to 26m, that's growth. If Sony goes from 47m to 46m, that's a loss (the opposite of growth LOL). They'd still have more subs in total, sure, but would be actively regressing.

Paid online and a game library service are two separate things. All forms of GP include the game library, I have a strong feeling that a good number of the PS+ subs do not. LOL

Last edited:
Top Bottom