• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An update on Steam Input and controller support

More players than ever are choosing to play Steam games with a controller, and we thought it would be a good time to share some stats about controller usage on Steam along with an update about Steam Input.

Stats: Controller use on Steam:
  • Since 2018, daily average controller use has tripled from ~5% to up to 15%
  • ~42% of these controller sessions are using Steam Input
  • During that time, the controller landscape has changed:
    • 59% of sessions are using Xbox controllers
    • 26% are using PlayStation controllers
    • 10% are on Steam Decks

1d09b65d3dedd2262a2d59c227063020e86630a0.png

As usage has grown, our team has continued working to improve and add features to enhance the controller experience for these players. Here are some of the new features we’ve shipped for Steam Input and controller users recently:

• Big Picture update
    – complete redesign of the controller first experience on Steam, bringing the Steam Deck user experience to the big screen
  • New controller configurator
    – rethought and simplified configurator to set, manage, and edit controller bindings
  • Gyro aiming
    – overhauled and improved experience for controllers with gyro, implemented Flickstick functionality in Steam Input
  • Virtual menus
    – added support to the desktop client
  • PlayStation Controller support
    - We worked with Sony to improve support for PS controllers including DualSense Edge, and can now automatically support future 3rd party licensed PlayStation gamepads
  • Xbox Controller support
    – We shipped a driver for Windows allowing us to better support Xbox One controllers, including the rear buttons on the Xbox Elite Controllers
One of the benefits of Steam Input is that when it’s implemented in a game, players can use any one of over 300 supported controllers to play. We also recently added support for the new HORIPAD for Steam (available in Japan later this summer), and worked with HORI's team to make their controller work well with Steam Input.

0240d7ebffa5cb94fb75c1d71b3ba561.jpg

The team is continuing to work on Steam Input and controller support on Steam, and we are always looking for feedback.

Last edited:
More players than ever are choosing to play Steam games with a controller, and we thought it would be a good time to share some stats about controller usage on Steam along with an update about Steam Input.

Stats: Controller use on Steam:
  • Since 2018, daily average controller use has tripled from ~5% to up to 15%
  • ~42% of these controller sessions are using Steam Input
    • 10% are on Steam Decks

1d09b65d3dedd2262a2d59c227063020e86630a0.png

As usage has grown, our team has continued working to improve and add features to enhance the controller experience for these players. Here are some of the new features we’ve shipped for Steam Input and controller users recently:

• Big Picture update
    – complete redesign of the controller first experience on Steam, bringing the Steam Deck user experience to the big screen
  • New controller configurator
    – rethought and simplified configurator to set, manage, and edit controller bindings
  • Gyro aiming
    – overhauled and improved experience for controllers with gyro, implemented Flickstick functionality in Steam Input
  • Virtual menus
    – added support to the desktop client
    - We worked with Sony to improve support for PS controllers including DualSense Edge, and can now automatically support future 3rd party licensed PlayStation gamepads
    – We shipped a driver for Windows allowing us to better support Xbox One controllers, including the rear buttons on the Xbox Elite Controllers
One of the benefits of Steam Input is that when it’s implemented in a game, players can use any one of over 300 supported controllers to play. We also recently added support for the new HORIPAD for Steam (available in Japan later this summer), and worked with HORI's team to make their controller work well with Steam Input.

0240d7ebffa5cb94fb75c1d71b3ba561.jpg

The team is continuing to work on Steam Input and controller support on Steam, and we are always looking for feedback.

Fucking Finally

Hohenheim

Wow, I didn't know about that new Steam controller! Looks cool!

Edit:
"it lacks rumble, a matching set of four back buttons, and the handheld’s signature trackpads."

That's a bummer.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

It's just a launcher... right epic guys?.. right? 😵‍💫

Literally saving pc gaming.😉

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I was messing around with a new install of Win To Go on a USB-C flash drive on Deck today. I installed Steam and when it launched I thought I was going crazy for a second when the Deck UI booted up.

Topher

Gold Member
    • 10% are on Steam Decks
That's a bit surprising. I would have thought Xbox controllers would have been a much higher percentage.

• 10% are on Steam Decks
That's a bit surprising. I would have thought Xbox controllers would have been a much higher percentage.
PlayStation controllers have been gaining 'market share' since a while now among Steam users. Here's an excerpt from the last thread I made here on GAF regarding controller support on Steam:

But recently we've seen the most growth among players using various types of PlayStation controllers. For example, in 2018, PlayStation controllers comprised about 11% of controller sessions. Fast-forward to today and we now see 27% of controller sessions being played with PlayStation controllers.

Mister Wolf

I even play cRPGs like BG3, Rogue Trader, and WOTR with a controller. Feels so much better to directly control the characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom