• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysing the AI of The Last of Us Part II | AI and Games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

With The Last of Us Part II, Naughty Dog set a new standard for high-fidelity single-player experiences on the #Playstation platform. But it requires a lot of additional support with the help of AI to make that a reality. Join us for this 70th episode of AI and Games as we dig into how AI is used not just to support new gameplay features, but also for the game to continue to reflect its high production values.

Chapters:
[00:00] Intro
[01:24] The Last of Us Part II
[04:02] Improving Combat
[10:03] The New Melee System
[15:45] Motion Matching
[17:37] What About The Last of Us Part One?
[18:27] Hiding the Seams
[26:34] Closing
[27:37] Credits

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Great AI. Playing this game on Survival+ was the closest a video game has ever made me feel "hunted" in the way I do in a multiplayer game.

That set piece when Scars first ambush Ellie in the forest is amazing. The Scars coordinate with each other in distinct whistles, not words. It reminded me of the opening village fight in Resi 4 where Leon's getting attacked by intelligent enemies he can't understand. Something about not knowing what they're saying but knowing they're coming for ME elevates my heart rate more than if they were just saying things like, "She's over there!"

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Great AI. Playing this game on Survival+ was the closest a video game has ever made me feel "hunted" in the way I do in a multiplayer game.

That set piece when Scars first ambush Ellie in the forest is amazing. The Scars coordinate with each other in distinct whistles, not words. It reminded me of the opening village fight in Resi 4 where Leon's getting attacked by intelligent enemies he can't understand. Something about not knowing what they're saying but knowing they're coming for ME elevates my heart rate more than if they were just saying things like, "She's over there!"
How the hell did you do the boss fights on hard? Some of those levels the AI was like trying to outwit the developers ffs, the bastards where coordinating and acting exactly the way you imagine real humans would which just added to the immersion.. then they brought dogs ffs

kyliethicc

you mean Grounded?

How the hell did you do the boss fights on hard? Some of those levels the AI was like trying to outwit the developers ffs, the bastards where coordinating and acting exactly the way you imagine real humans would which just added to the immersion.. then they brought dogs ffs
huh? "Hard" is basically the normal mode lol. not very challenging

even Grounded difficulty isn't THAT hard once you get the hang of it

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Cool thing about TLOU2 is that you can set the difficulty sliders separately for distinct gameplay mechanics. So on my second playthrough, I put everything on Survivor+, except for Resources and Companion AI, which I put on "Light".

That way companions actually pulled their weight and felt more realistic--about on the same level as the enemy AI. Instead of staring at the bad guys, they'll pull the trigger or stalk them down on their own. I ended up "liking" the companions more because of that, which only helped reinforce the camaraderie the game tries to get you to feel for them.

As for resources, the different tools you have in that game are so fun I wanted to make sure I had them all on-hand. You skip out on opening up drawer #467 only to find nothing in it. Wasn't fun. So I made the game play the way I wanted it to and had a blast.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
you mean Grounded?

huh? "Hard" is basically the normal mode lol. not very challenging

even Grounded difficulty isn't THAT hard once you get the hang of it
Nope, Survivor+. And even then, I knocked some difficulty settings down. Fake gamer over here; see my post above.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
This video is really impressive! Guy knows his stuff and knows how to present it. Hope he gets more viewers.

Sincerely,

AI & Games Grildon Tundy

Top Bottom