• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And today in Games journalism 101. Kotaku heard something that does not exist (keeps up the article)

Dunki

Well here it is again. And absolute Embarrassment from Kotaku.,

Even after tons of people correcting them angrily they still keep the article up. Do not apologize and just ad some little small update on the bottom of it

These people know no shame they did not check it at all just to get it out because it will be controversial and the DLC is new....

Mikey Jr.

To be fair, I listened to the song specifically trying to hear retort it. I can't.

It does genuinely sound like retarded because there does sound like the is an 'A' in the sound.

Not defending the article or whatever. Just listened to it several times and there is at the least, an 'A' sound. Swap the o for an a in retort it, and it does sound like retard it. Maybe just the way it was pronounced.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This is another example of why "journalists" improvising themselves activists is a massive issue nowadays. These people are literally hunting for reasons to create false outrage, and when they're proven wrong, they don't even apologize.

This is absolutely despicable.

It is pretty impressive how even when you think expectations are incredibly low, Kotaku still finds a way to go under.

Kotaku is like water. Runs to its lowest possible point.

tenor.gif

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
This is why I always have a laugh when some people try to defend Kotaku.

But...but, they sometimes post really good articles (read: smear campaigns)!”

No. They are a trash tier gutter blog and that’s why I haven’t clicked on a Kotaku link for close to a decade.

brap

Banned
Funny how they say the article should be updated within the hour but over 2 hours later and it still hasn't been updated :pie_thinking:

Petrae

Rename Kotaku to “Gamer Outrage HQ”. The site would probably get more visits while the new moniker would be an accurate portrait of what the site’s purpose is.

If you look hard enough these days, it doesn’t take long to spot something that initiates the outrage version of the Bat-Signal... and, since outrage leads to clicks and cash, you know that the site’s team is ALL OVER THAT.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Depends on the people. Normal people would say no. Games journalist would compare you to Hitler.

Ahhhh I see. Yea I sometimes slip up and say "retarded". I'm pretty adamant about refraining from saying the N word, though apparently it's my birthright so I try to be sensitive about these "slurs".

Arkage

Banned
I'm asking this because I'm concerned about my own contribution to an apparent problem. Is saying the word "retarded" regardless of context...a bad thing?

Retarded has largely fallen out of context since it's primarily used as a slur against normal people by fellow normal people to belittle them into a category of disable people. Even used in context for a special needs person, it implies the person is "slow" which is extremely limiting and not representative of the wide variety of mental disabilities found within the special needs category. So it's just best not to use it at all if it can be helped, as it's typically either an incorrect label, or a label being applied for derogatory reasons.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Retarded has largely fallen out of context since it's primarily used as a slur against normal people by fellow normal people to label them into a category of disable people. Even used in context for a special needs person, it implies the person is "slow" which is extremely limiting and not representative of the wide variety of mental disabilities found within the special needs category. So it's just best not to use it at all if it can be helped, as it's typically either an incorrect label, or a label being applied for derogatory reasons.

Duly noted. I'm curious now though. The origin of the word is to accurately described a specific type of mental handicap correct? If so, would there be a proper context to use this word in? Or has the perversion of it's use basically caused a rebuttal of it's use in any context whatsoever, deeming it as universally taboo?

Wow, how culturally insensitive of Kotaku to expect a non-English speaker to sing in perfect English.

Edit: lmao, I was being sarcastic but the top comment in the article is basically the non-sarcastic version of my post. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Thurible

Duly noted. I'm curious now though. The origin of the word is to accurately described a specific type of mental handicap correct? If so, would there be a proper context to use this word in? Or has the perversion of it's use basically caused a rebuttal of it's use in any context whatsoever, deeming it as universally taboo?
To retard essentially means to slow. There are other usages of the word that do not involve the degradation of the mentally handicapped, but in general, using it to describe a person is probably not the best idea. Ex. Fire retardant is used to slow or suffocate a fire.

Mochilador

To retard essentially means to slow. There are other usages of the word that do not involve the degradation of the mentally handicapped, but in general, using it to describe a person is probably not the best idea. Ex. Fire retardant is used to slow or suffocate a fire.
A little OT but your name is really "different". :messenger_grinning_smiling:

TeamGhobad

Banned
retardation means slowing down, its used in physics, music and many other areas doesn't have to mean something nefarious. but its a slow news day and kotaku wants the SJW army to click on something and get angry and have a PC circlejerk. jason schreier really is the only good thing over on that site and i think he should go independent.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
retardation means slowing down, its used in physics, music and many other areas doesn't have to mean something nefarious. but its a slow news day and kotaku wants the SJW army to click on something and get angry and have a PC circlejerk. jason schreier really is the only good thing over on that site and i think he should go independent.
Did you buy his book ?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Overly sensitive "retort it" fools further showing how little you can trust modern gaming "journalism".

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned

Jason “If you like big anime tiddies you’re a pedophile” Schreier?

Nah, burn the whole site down. None of it is salvageable.

Retarded has largely fallen out of context since it's primarily used as a slur against normal people by fellow normal people to belittle them into a category of disable people. Even used in context for a special needs person, it implies the person is "slow" which is extremely limiting and not representative of the wide variety of mental disabilities found within the special needs category. So it's just best not to use it at all if it can be helped, as it's typically either an incorrect label, or a label being applied for derogatory reasons.

The problem is that this concerns all words that we use. Idiot is a good example as well. (ref wikipedia: "Idiot was formerly a legal and psychiatric category of profound intellectual disability") Idiots and another word that's also used normally nowadays "tullinger" (which in english also means idiots) were kept a statistic over in Norway during the 19th and 20th century.
You'll find it hard to ever talk negatively about someone if you want to be overly sensitive over disabled people. It's better to have enough understanding to understand that some people aren't mentally retarded in the clinical sense, but we use the word like a homonym. Otherwise every word will cause the problem that it refers to someone of a mental disability. I don't see how this is avoided in terms of casual use. It's better that the clinical terms attempt to become complicated enough that it's hard to fall into everyday use.

Very understandable reaction, since she could fairly feel that she was being mentioned in the game.

On a side note, it's to be thanked the fact that retarded journos identify themselves by dying their hair in blue or purple so we just need a glimpse of them to get the case straight.

Top Bottom