• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And today in Games journalism 101. Kotaku heard something that does not exist (keeps up the article)

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
What level of mental illness do you need to be parsing obscure songs just to find something to be offended by? Kotaku continues to be pure nonsense written by "developmentally delayed" individuals.
laura-kate-dale.png

njr

I can never understand the state of games journalism today. Do these people even play video games? Or are they in this industry as a stepping stone to more “professional” outlets like buzzfeed?

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Depends on the people. Normal people would say no. Games journalist would compare you to Hitler.
Depends on your definition of normal people; though I would also agree it depends heavily on the context.

So it's just best not to use it at all if it can be helped, as it's typically either an incorrect label, or a label being applied for derogatory reasons.
YAP! I will say if you use it in the old school medical fashion that tends to slide a little bit, but be expected to be corrected by the caretaker/parent/person as they've subgenred the hell out of medical diagnosis in general

Duly noted. I'm curious now though. The origin of the word is to accurately described a specific type of mental handicap correct? If so, would there be a proper context to use this word in? Or has the perversion of it's use basically caused a rebuttal of it's use in any context whatsoever, deeming it as universally taboo?
I would just say using it scientifically would be best "It retards the flow of the molecules," etc.

Dont you dare make bad news about nintendo. or their fans will throw their toddlers at you if its all they got at hands. by far the most aggressive and defensive fanbase I ever seen
Eh, on the flip though, I think PS#/Xbox fans are the same way. Get bad apples in every bunch holmes. Just gotta fina the bunch you fit in with.

Kotaku is a disability slur.
I'mma start saying that from now on >.> And "Don't pull a Kotaku" etc...good idea dude.

I just want to point out that I'm a game journalist, and I have no problem with the word "retarded". I do, however, have a problem with people who try to police language.

I'm also a bit done with people who are naive enough to think "game journalists" are some homogenous group with anything in common but a love for video games. Just because Kotaku, Polygon and RPS look for outrage and offense under every pebble, doesn’t mean the rest of us share that burning desire for a crusade. Most of us just wanna play games, write what we think about them, and get paid while e doing it.
Yes, but other people might have issue with it; I'm not one to police language myself, but have no problem with others doing it. If you were a games journalist with say, a child, family member or close relative whom had autism/developmental issues, you might take some more offense to it. Up to you to be sensitive enough to think about your audience (Social and professional) when speaking.

Just like you and I are free to say dumb things publicly that would upset others. It'll happen from time to time, but I would steer to avoid that rather than blindly/knowingly walk into it. I think knowing when to give and how to pick up on the subtle "Bad word choice," look is a good way to handle it.

I'm personally a glutton for "Don't practice what I preach," but are you a part of the "Most of us just wanna play games...(etc)" because if so, why care about other's opinions like you have described here?

Fake

Is she really trying to put her mistake in her boss? I mean, WTF?
Wow. Living and learn I guess.

Last edited:

Moneal

I never saw the point of calling someone a retard when I can just fall them a fucking idiot instead.
"Idiot was formerly a legal and psychiatric category of profound intellectual disability, in which a person's mental age is two years or less, and he or she cannot guard against common dangers. Along with terms like moron, imbecile, and cretin, the term is now archaic and offensive"

That is the problem with giving in to any changing of language like that. everything becomes offensive and then becomes off limits.

This guy should be fired.

Holy shit, it's the "just call me a nigger, you know you want to" defense, from an almost certainly white person. Enzom woud be proud.

well Kotaku now really goes full retard and throws her under the bus.

That article is great - I'm glad someone is finally taking her to task and not letting it slide because of her.. condition.

Last edited:

ZeroGravity

"We don't delete articles."

You should. It's not about erasing a mistake but rather preventing the spread of misinformation. People will come across the article, read the headline, and think it's the truth. It's even worse in this case when the original article was, in any sensible person's opinion, posted in bad faith to begin with.

Last edited:
Depends on your definition of normal people; though I would also agree it depends heavily on the context.

YAP! I will say if you use it in the old school medical fashion that tends to slide a little bit, but be expected to be corrected by the caretaker/parent/person as they've subgenred the hell out of medical diagnosis in general

I would just say using it scientifically would be best "It retards the flow of the molecules," etc.

Eh, on the flip though, I think PS#/Xbox fans are the same way. Get bad apples in every bunch holmes. Just gotta fina the bunch you fit in with.

I'mma start saying that from now on >.> And "Don't pull a Kotaku" etc...good idea dude.

Yes, but other people might have issue with it; I'm not one to police language myself, but have no problem with others doing it. If you were a games journalist with say, a child, family member or close relative whom had autism/developmental issues, you might take some more offense to it. Up to you to be sensitive enough to think about your audience (Social and professional) when speaking.

Just like you and I are free to say dumb things publicly that would upset others. It'll happen from time to time, but I would steer to avoid that rather than blindly/knowingly walk into it. I think knowing when to give and how to pick up on the subtle "Bad word choice," look is a good way to handle it.

I'm personally a glutton for "Don't practice what I preach," but are you a part of the "Most of us just wanna play games...(etc)" because if so, why care about other's opinions like you have described here?

yeah if the bad apple is literally 90% of the nintendo fanboys. there aren't nearly as many die hard ps/xbox fans as there are nintendo.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
yeah if the bad apple is literally 90% of the nintendo fanboys. there aren't nearly as many die hard ps/xbox fans as there are nintendo.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; if I even mention I have a Switch to most PS#/Xbox owners they roll their eyes and ask me why I picked it up with astonishment. Kiddy games, not powerful, what have you.

I would say people who more focus on the software library than what hardware you're running it on tend to be more level headed discussions. I tend to find that more in Nintendo owners, personally. Your experience may differ though.

/shrug, whatever apples you bunch with man

EDIT: Side note, I also own a PS3/PS4/PC. I've played both console and PC since my beginnings, and both sides have their wars; which console is better VS. which PC components are better, etc.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I can never understand the state of games journalism today. Do these people even play video games? Or are they in this industry as a stepping stone to more “professional” outlets like buzzfeed?
The article achieved exactly what it was intended to achieve. It generated plenty of clicks and ad impressions. And did so with a bare minimum of effort on the part of the author.

The formula is simple:
- choose a very popular game
- write as many articles about it as you can
- make the headlines as inflammatory and outrage-inducing as possible

Bam, now anybody who’s showed any interest in said game is going to see this shit popping up in their news feed constantly, and a substantial portion will click them just to see what the hell the author is on about.

This is the endgame of free ad-supported online game “journalism”. The most shameless, perpetually outraged, unethical writers are the ones who will thrive the most.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
The article achieved exactly what it was intended to achieve. It generated plenty of clicks and ad impressions. And did so with a bare minimum of effort on the part of the author.

The formula is simple:
- choose a very popular game
- write as many articles about it as you can
- make the headlines as inflammatory and outrage-inducing as possible

Bam, now anybody who’s showed any interest in said game is going to see this shit popping up in their news feed constantly, and a substantial portion will click them just to see what the hell the author is on about.

This is the endgame of free ad-supported online game “journalism”. The most shameless, perpetually outraged, unethical writers are the ones who will thrive the most.

My question, then, is who are these people that are easily manipulated / stupid enough to give these places clicks and what can we do to make them less stupid.

I just can't keep up with what is banned in gaming these days. And Nintendo of all companies use to be the safe bet but people are going crazy on them lately because they have games with bouncy boobies on the eShop.

Is this about a song in Smash?

Aren't song lyrics easier too look up to find out what the intent was?

cormack12

Gold Member
To turn this on its head slightly, this Sophia Narwitz from nichegamer is quickly building a lot of credibility in decently researched and fully explained pieces. Really come into their own these past 4/5 months on response pieces and clarifying controversies. Hope they keep it up and stuff works out for them.

NickFire

This par for the course when it comes to Laura Kate Dale. Constantly trying to stir up controversy for the sake of getting attention.

Anyone else remember this little gem?

kotaku.com/xbox-one-presenter-humiliated-me-on-stage-says-transge-1421596988/amp

Edit: beaten
WOW. They actually hired someone who made sensationalist claims to them that were later recanted. That would seem almost impossible if Buzzfeed hadn't just been caught running fake news by someone caught writing fake news before. But it's still mind numbingly ridiculous.

well Kotaku now really goes full retard and throws her under the bus.

Call me crazy, but I believe her. I'm not about to ultimately judge her or her boss, because I don't know who is telling the truth, and either way represents a great reason to stay away from that awful website.

That said, I'm also not going to hold her past actions against her here, and I can COMPLETELY believe that a kotaku editor would take all the uncertainty out of an article before publishing. "Maybe" doesn't cause enough outrage.

Call me crazy, but I believe her. I'm not about to ultimately judge her or her boss, because I don't know who is telling the truth, and either way represents a great reason to stay away from that awful website.

That said, I'm also not going to hold her past actions against her here, and I can COMPLETELY believe that a kotaku editor would take all the uncertainty out of an article before publishing. "Maybe" doesn't cause enough outrage.

The problem with that line of thought is that you don't go to your boss with such bullshit unless you want it published. Whether it's just a "maybe" or "certain" is irrelevant. You are ill-intended from the very moment your radar is set to pick up the shittiest stories on the internet. Normal people with a sound mind would never pay attention to these matters so they would never get in trouble.

Fox Mulder

My question, then, is who are these people that are easily manipulated / stupid enough to give these places clicks and what can we do to make them less stupid.

These kind of trash clickbait gaming sites seem to be dying anyways. Univision just sold Kotaku and the family of sites for a loss.

Wink

The whole conception of this article was so misguided in the first place, no apology could ever make this right. I know americans rarely try learning other languages and thus can't relate how it is to have an accent, but to be so immensely insensitive towards a non native speaker that it would not occur to you what's going on with the lyrics...
It shows a shocking lack of any kind of empathy which is what worries me most with all kinds of extremist mindsets.

Last edited:
The whole conception of this article was so misguided in the first place, no apology could ever make this right. I know americans rarely try learning other languages and thus can't relate how it is to have an accent, but to be so immensely insensitive towards a non native speaker that it would not occur to you what's going on with the lyrics...
It shows a shocking lack of any kind of empathy which is what worries me most with all kinds of extremist mindsets.

What? Have you ever been to America? It's a requirement in virtually every school to learn a second language. The usual options are French, German, and Spanish.. but some schools offer more like Japanese and Italian.

Edit: I personally speak (with full proficiency) English, German (my native language), Russian, and French. I am currently learning Japanese because I want to start importing some games from Japan.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
While it’s good to see the reaction to this article, the deeper issue is largely ignored by Kotaku. Their standards are so fucking trash-tier that the majority of their content doesnt qualify as journalism. That they share the same job title as woodward and bernstein is some of sick and perverted joke.

The kicker for me: rather than pulling down the article and making a full retraction, they not only left it up, but created another one to apologise, and linked back to their original article. This ensures their original
hit-piece gets MORE clicks, and spreads MORE misinformation. “Lessons were learned?” Like fuck they were.

Last edited:

Xisiqomelir

I remember a halcyon GAF where this clickbait shithole was on the banned sites list.

Then we let in weasels like Schrier who when given half the chance, turned on the administration and noble userbase here.

With the power of our belief, we can return to those original golden days! Let's re-ban them.

Top Bottom