• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Tate banned from Facebook and Instagram

karasu

Cancel culture doesn't exist guys!
Remember 20 years ago when "we" used to make animated gifs celebrating the bans of people who spewed absolute garbage? According to Konnor, we invented cancel culture.

MR571.gif

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Nope.

You just use different words or language. What happens then? I can call you potato rather than a racist slur, I can find a workaround.

Banning does not fix problems and actually makes it worse in the long run. Talking, listening and educating people is far better.

It is an lazy route to claim we are helping society, emotionally reactive is not how we should respond.

A kid got warned for repeating rap lyrics, it's stupid because you ignore all context.

To this I'd ask what was the racist remark, what about it specifically made it hate speech, and what is the smallest amount of change you could make to the remark where it would no longer fit the UK's legal definition of hate speech? If you can't answer these questions, you have subjective laws without clear definitions that will be selectively enforced.

The law is quite simple, especially for hate speech. It's really straight forward. Make any racist remark in hatred (so not reciting song lyrics) and you'll be arrested.

Let's look at another Marcus Rashford case.

This man sent a tweet telling Marcus Rashford to go back to his "own country". As Marcus was born in England and is black, the comment is clearly racist.

Here is the tweet

8A8wfqh.jpg

It caused a lot of upset and outrage in the UK, and in support many people flocked to the Marcus Rashford shrine to take the knee in support.

OkVC6Cu.jpg

It's clear that people feel strongly about racism and all forms of bigotry in the UK, and a way to tackle this is to outlaw all forms of hate speech, which absolutely should include misogyny.

To learn more about UK hate speech, here is a summary from the crown prosecution service.

The law recognises five types of hate crime on the basis of:

• Race
  • Religion
  • Disability
  • Sexual orientation
  • Transgender identity
Any crime can be prosecuted as a hate crime if the offender has either:

• demonstrated hostility based on race, religion, disability, sexual orientation or transgender identity
Or

• been motivated by hostility based on race, religion, disability, sexual orientation or transgender identity

See. Really easy to understand. Hopefully one day the rest of the world will catch up.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/crime-info/hate-crime

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The law is quite simple, especially for hate speech. It's really straight forward. Make any racist remark in hatred (so not reciting song lyrics) and you'll be arrested.

This man sent a tweet telling Marcus Rashford to go back to his "own country". As Marcus was born in England and is black, the comment is clearly racist.

Here is the tweet

8A8wfqh.jpg

It caused a lot of upset and outrage in the UK, and in support many people flocked to the Marcus Rashford shrine to take the knee in support.

OkVC6Cu.jpg

It's clear that people feel strongly about racism and all forms of bigotry in the UK, and a way to tackle this is to outlaw all forms of hate speech, which absolutely should include misogyny.

To learn more about UK hate speech, here is a summary from the crown prosecution service.

• Race
  • Religion
  • Disability
  • Sexual orientation
  • Transgender identity

• demonstrated hostility based on race, religion, disability, sexual orientation or transgender identity
Or

• been motivated by hostility based on race, religion, disability, sexual orientation or transgender identity

See. Really easy to understand. Hopefully one day the rest of the world will catch up.

Let's hope not. Enjoy your surveillance state if it passes though.

dr_octagon

Banned
IDKFA IDKFA I know what the law covers (other legislation like Equality Act is important) and majority people don't want to see racism, sexism etc.

I get the idea of changing behaviour. Punishment like removing people from social media, community service etc. is not a bad thing.

The point is about the approach and a ban is not a fix to everything. The practical element, especially with digital policing is a separate discussion.

The government have a history of overreach, in some cases people went to European Court of Human Rights because the state acted unlawfully.

Anyway, I have gifs to post elsewhere so I'll leave you guys to it.

Thank.

Last edited:

You didn't answer either question.

What about the remark specifically made it hate speech?

What is the smallest amount of change you could make to the remark where it would no longer fit the UK's legal definition of hate speech?

If you wish for the world to adopt your laws and worldview when it comes to hateful speech, especially America who have a constitution to protect almost all speech, I would think it would benefit you to be able to clearly define where and how the line is drawn. Again, if you don't do this you end up with vague laws that will be subjectively and selectively enforced.

thefool

He obviously says nothing but putrid rancid idiotic shit but I'll always champion freedom to express yourself instead of this abhorrent containment of words we're going through.

He got shut down because he became (too) popular and the internet police decided that shouldn't happen. Unilaterally.

People will just flock to the next douchbag pickup artist/"alpha male." It's concerning to see how many dumb men fall for that crap.

Last edited:

Konnor

Remember 20 years ago when "we" used to make animated gifs celebrating the bans of people who spewed absolute garbage? According to Konnor, we invented cancel culture.

MR571.gif

Remember when 20 years ago when a handful of corporations didn't control the entire internet and intellectually dishonest hypocrites didn't defend mass censorship all the time? Also when the standard of "spewing absolutely garbage" wasn't so ridiculously high?

Imagine having the fucking audacity to compare the internet of 20 years ago with this dystopian hellscape now. What a bunch of horseshit.

karasu

Remember when 20 years ago when a handful of corporations didn't control the entire internet and intellectually dishonest hypocrites didn't defend mass censorship all the time? Also when the standard of "spewing absolutely garbage" wasn't so ridiculously high?

Imagine having the fucking audacity to compare the internet of 20 years ago with this dystopian hellscape now. What a bunch of horseshit.
The idea that this is representative of mass censorship is hilarious. That algorithm is fucking with you bad, boy.

Konnor

The idea that this is representative of mass censorship is hilarious. That algorithm is fucking with you bad, boy.

Of course not, one corporation deciding to deplatform someone from 2 of the very few massive platforms on the internet is not mass censorship. It's all alright folks, there's nothing to see here, I'm sure the San Frascisco fucks won't ban him from more social media now that the deplatforming has begun like it happened with many, many people before.

Oh, and fyi that gif is not from 20 years ago, you have no fucking idea how the internet was 20 years ago.

He obviously says nothing but putrid rancid idiotic shit but I'll always champion freedom to express yourself instead of this abhorrent containment of words we're going through.

He got shut down because he became (too) popular and the internet police decided that shouldn't happen. Unilaterally.
He's a fucking idiot telling people they don't need to read or go to school. That's sending a very bad message to kids.

Dude needs to be fucked off this planet into the nearest black hole. Freedom of speech my arse.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
You know, if kids are his main source of followers, is it possible that they follow him "ironically"? Like, the dude seems like a perfect self-parody and maybe the kids are in on the joke?

I know when I was a young millennial, we found things funny through like ten layers of irony. Stuff like "Tim and Eric's Awesome Show". Could something similar be going on here?

Eh, I'm not gonna get mad at a corporation controlling the right to free speech on their platform. We've been willingly handing corporations our rights for years. We've already given away the right to privacy - that was an easy one.

The truth is, being a citizen and making sure diverse people get along requires hard work. It requires sacrificing self-interest in order to be role models and share values. It requires active engagement with people we disagree with. It's uncomfortable, and I don't have time for that and neither do you. The NFL season starts in 2 weeks, the new GoT season starts tonight and the Amazon LoTR show comes out soon.

What we want is to not be bothered by things that upset us. Thankfully, we've created a structure where a small group of elite and super rich people can alleviate that for us. They've given us wonderful technology we can wrap ourselves in like a warm blanket. They watch over us and suggest things we need to see and we need to buy to make us feel even safer. I feel so safe in fact, I don't really need to pay attention to anything I don't like. Go vote? What for?

So, THANK YOU Facebook and Instagram for making it so I never have to see that douche again. I have a list of others, but I trust you'll get to them soon.

JBat

Here is the tweet

8A8wfqh.jpg

OkVC6Cu.jpg

• Race
  • Religion
  • Disability
  • Sexual orientation
  • Transgender identity

Or

That's a far cry from a burning cross in someone's yard. It's not the government's job to legislate morality. If there was actual harm done to someone or their property then I understand jail time but posting inappropriate things on the Internet is a pretty low bar.
I agree, that was racist and terrible to post but it's the community's job to ostracize the asshole not the government's to be the thought police. For someone with a Marcus Aurelius profile pic please put some more thought into this.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Good. They guy just runs a pyramid scheme, his "Hustlers university" is just that, you psy $50 to tate to get in and you receive $25 for every new member you get to sign on. Like millions of get rich scams before it.

Please tell me that Peterson quote is fake
I'm not going to believe it, unless I see a video of it. I doubt it's real. That said, Peterson is starting to say things that I strongly disagree with, and is making some choices I don't agree with either. I'd go into detail, but it concerns some political hot button issues, so I probably should not.

Last edited:
Good. They guy just runs a pyramid scheme, his "Hustlers university" is just that, you psy $50 to tate to get in and you receive $25 for every new member you get to sign on. Like millions of get rich scams before it.
Then put him in jail, or create laws against the sort of thing he's doing (pyramid schemes, not offensive speech) and then put him in jail if he continues to do that crap. It seems that's a better way of dealing with something like this.

Last edited:

I_D

According to Google, this guy has 13 billion views. That's pretty impressive, and it's weird (to me) that I've never heard of him.

A few things I've noticed:
- He has a slight speech-impediment
- He has no chin
- He's not very athletic
- He has bad teeth
- He has male-pattern-baldness

He seems like an odd choice to become popular, in terms of your typical celebrity.
Maybe that's why he's popular? He appeals to the non-masculine men of the world?

From the 5-minute Googling I've done, his videos seem pretty obviously bad. It doesn't seem that surprising that he's been banned from various sites.
It is a bit scary that he was able to rack up so many views before being caught, though.

Of course it's fake, most twitter users are gullible retards.
You desperately need a reality check if you think people are only reactionary and fall for fake shit that confirm their biases on Twitter. It happens on Reddit, TikTok, and Instagram as well to an absurdly annoying degree. And on forums in general. So, basically: everywhere. Not just Twitter.

Last edited:

Ownage

Eh, I'm not gonna get mad at a corporation controlling the right to free speech on their platform. We've been willingly handing corporations our rights for years. We've already given away the right to privacy - that was an easy one.

The truth is, being a citizen and making sure diverse people get along requires hard work. It requires sacrificing self-interest in order to be role models and share values. It requires active engagement with people we disagree with. It's uncomfortable, and I don't have time for that and neither do you. The NFL season starts in 2 weeks, the new GoT season starts tonight and the Amazon LoTR show comes out soon.

What we want is to not be bothered by things that upset us. Thankfully, we've created a structure where a small group of elite and super rich people can alleviate that for us. They've given us wonderful technology we can wrap ourselves in like a warm blanket. They watch over us and suggest things we need to see and we need to buy to make us feel even safer. I feel so safe in fact, I don't really need to pay attention to anything I don't like. Go vote? What for?

So, THANK YOU Facebook and Instagram for making it so I never have to see that douche again. I have a list of others, but I trust you'll get to them soon.
I wonder if YouTube and Google will ban him because every other YouTube short that I see is him mumbling about something.

Neolombax

Ah this guy. Lately have been getting a lot of suggestions from Youtube to watch him, and I did. He seems like an alpha type male, he seems very sure that his way of living is THE way to live for males. Good for him I guess. Before that Youtube suggested me tons of Jordan Peterson videos. The algorithm must've been circling around Male Empowerment?

Relique

I didn't read no books, fuck that. I own 20 super cars and richer than my teacher. School is for idiots. Subscribe to my pyramid scheme university to become successful street fighter alpha.
The post was hilarious but then I saw your avatar and almost spilled my drink laughing.
Of course it's fake, most twitter users are gullible retards.
Seems that way. I was curious about the interview but couldn't find the video.

Toons

Of course not, one corporation deciding to deplatform someone from 2 of the very few massive platforms on the internet is not mass censorship. It's all alright folks, there's nothing to see here, I'm sure the San Frascisco fucks won't ban him from more social media now that the deplatforming has begun like it happened with many, many people before.

Oh, and fyi that gif is not from 20 years ago, you have no fucking idea how the internet was 20 years ago.

If he doesn't want to be "deplatformed", he can make his own gd site with all this money and post his bile there freely. Thats how it works.

The internet nor any organization that runs it does not owe anyone the prospect of spreading their nonsense freely. This goes for any hateful bigots or false narrative pushers i.e. flat earthers.

Ah this guy. Lately have been getting a lot of suggestions from Youtube to watch him, and I did. He seems like an alpha type male, he seems very sure that his way of living is THE way to live for males. Good for him I guess. Before that Youtube suggested me tons of Jordan Peterson videos. The algorithm must've been circling around Male Empowerment?

Those seem like very different roads to go down for male empowerment. Take personal responsibility vs treat women like crap.

He seems like an alpha type male, he seems very sure that his way of living is THE way to live for males.

Why does anyone think their way of living or personal philosophy is THE answer for everyone? It really is the height of narcissism, and there's way too much of that sort of thing in the world right now. Plus if you admit that you don't have all the answers, I think people become a lot more receptive to hearing what has worked for you personally.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Outside of the douchebaggery, I don't have an issue with this message. A non insignificant portion of the population could probably benefit from hearing "Action is more beneficial than reading/watching".

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
You didn't answer either question.

What about the remark specifically made it hate speech?

What is the smallest amount of change you could make to the remark where it would no longer fit the UK's legal definition of hate speech?

If you wish for the world to adopt your laws and worldview when it comes to hateful speech, especially America who have a constitution to protect almost all speech, I would think it would benefit you to be able to clearly define where and how the line is drawn. Again, if you don't do this you end up with vague laws that will be subjectively and selectively enforced.

In that tweet, it was the line "go back to your own country". Here the author is saying that because Marcus is black, then the UK isn't his country, regardless of the fact that he was born and raised in the UK.

In the UK, this is a hate crime because it demonstrates hostility based on race.

Where is the line drawn? Good question, because I think the line is constantly moving and in all honesty, I don't know where it'll end.

That's a far cry from a burning cross in someone's yard. It's not the government's job to legislate morality. If there was actual harm done to someone or their property then I understand jail time but posting inappropriate things on the Internet is a pretty low bar.
I agree, that was racist and terrible to post but it's the community's job to ostracize the asshole not the government's to be the thought police. For someone with a Marcus Aurelius profile pic please put some more thought into this.

I've thought it about it many times. I've been torn over it for a long period.

One on hand it makes sense to outlaw hateful speech, even if it's said online. Racism and all forms of bigotry have no place in modern society. Arresting people who have made hateful remarks sends a message that this behaviour will not be tolerated in the UK and there are consequences if you do so.

On the other hand, is it right for the government to police speech? Could this be a slippery slope in the future? Possibly. Scotland's proposed hate crime bill was a bit more extreme than the overall UK one where it would punish assumed hate speech even in the home. For example, you could be arrested for making a hateful remark at the family dinner table if another family member reported you to the police. Surly this is a step towards a dystopian nightmare, no? I don't think this part of the bill went through, but the fact that it was even considered was troubling enough. Where does that lead if a government can police what's said in a private home?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Outside of the douchebaggery, I don't have an issue with this message. A non insignificant portion of the population could probably benefit from hearing "Action is more beneficial than reading/watching".

I can actually see the pure, 100% fresh dumb dripping out of this post onto my iPad. His message is not to read books. You think people should stop reading books?

Last edited:

Konnor

If he doesn't want to be "deplatformed", he can make his own gd site with all this money and post his bile there freely. Thats how it works.

The internet nor any organization that runs it does not owe anyone the prospect of spreading their nonsense freely. This goes for any hateful bigots or false narrative pushers i.e. flat earthers.

And when that site gets banned from search engines and social media because the San Francisco monopoly wants to destroy it like they've done with many competitors before just make your own social media and search engines. And when it gets banned by paypal and patreon like many other sites before just make your own payment processor. Please, stop with the copy-pasted intellectually dishonest bullshit, I've heard it many times before.

Last edited:
Working in the UK. The guy who was arrested and sent to prison for making a racist remark against Marcus Rashford isn't going to do it again. It sent a clear message that any racist language won't be tolerated in the UK.

Apply this to other forms of bigotry and you stop hate.
Oh yeah, because people never re-offend do they? That's why we have successfully eliminated murder, rape, theft and all other crimes in the UK. I don't know why other countries don't try it.

Anyway, I don't see what's so wrong with Andrew Tate, he seems like a harmless fool to me.

Last edited:

Hugare

He lives in Romania because it’s easier to get away with sexual assault and rape by bribing the police .. literally his own words
Yeah, cancel culture my ass

A line must be drawn. Guy moves to a country because he can easily get away with rape and people want this piece of shit to have a voice?

Racism is not accepted as freedom of speech, nazism either, so shit like this also shouldnt be

Last edited:

Konnor

Yeah, cancel culture my ass

A line must be drawn. Guy moves to a country because he can easily get away with rape and people want this piece of shit to have a voice?

Racism is not accepted as freedom of speech, nazism either, so shit like this also shouldnt be

I like how you took what the other poster said as fact because it fit your narrative and then based on that you dished out punishment for the perceived crimes committed. Andrew Tate is a troll and a douchebag, the first thing you do as a RATIONAL individual is to think, is the quote accurate and if it was, was he trolling? Or maybe, was he saying it because he believes there could be people targeting him with false rape allegations since such allegations have been weaponized in Western countries? No, it must be because he's a rapist, therefore he must be mass censored.

The worst part about people like you is the intellectual dishonesty, you know that the foundation of what you're basing your support for censorship is shaky at best but you don't care, all it matters is the support itself in order to protect the narrative.

Hugare

Or maybe, was he saying it because he believes there could be people targeting him with false rape allegations since such allegations have been weaponized in Western countries? No, it must be because he's a rapist, therefore he must be mass censored.
Dude outright said that he moved to Romania to get away easily from sexual assault and rape accusations

Words from his mouth

Yeah, if some people are targeting me with false rape allegations, I move to Romania. That's what an innocent person would certainly do, instead of proving its inocence.

And I'm the one not using my brain

Not calling you for "intellectual dishonesty" because the intellectual part is lacking

Konnor

Dude outright said that he moved to Romania to get away easily from sexual assault and rape accusations

Words from his mouth

Yeah, if some people are targeting me with false rape allegations, I move to Romania. That's what an innocent person would certainly do, instead of proving its inocence.

And I'm the one not using my brain

Not calling you for "intellectual dishonesty" because the intellectual part is lacking

Oh shit, words from his mouth. No actual source provided for these "words from his mouth" or the actual context of what he was talking about. I can't even take you people seriously anymore.

"if some people are targeting me with false rape allegations, I move to Romania" -Hugare
Words from his mouth! Wow!

Top Bottom