• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 12 UI looks absolutely awful

kiphalfton

Don't know what Google was thinking, but my god does Android 12 look awful.

Most accurate description I've seen is somebody saying it looked like a 2nd grader designed it for a 70 year old person.

If you haven't upgraded yet, but are interested in do so, I would definitely look at some previews or videos on YouTube first or read up on it. IMO the aesthetic drawbracks it brings to the table are enough to not upgrade.

I'll include some screenshots I took when I get some more free time.

Edit:
Time is split into two lines, and takes up considerably more screen space. No more weather info.
Lx59FT3.jpg

PIN pad takes up more screen (vertically)
bPlJUin.jpg

Quick access icons are larger, when no notifications it still covers the whole page, and lots of empty/white space.
upwG9EO.jpg

Brightness slider is larger, quick access icons are larger, and lots of empty/white space.
6pq6g0p.jpg

Use of bold text for time, "add alarm" button is larger, and toggle for alarms button is larger.
zhEEAqd.jpg

Monochromatic color and lots of empty/white space.
fiyE4Q0.jpg

Last edited:

I don't know, it looks as though it retains a lot of the functionality but just has a more quirky or colourful design?

kiphalfton

"Be more like Apple"?

That's what the consensus seems to be. I haven't used an iPhone in a long time so don't know how it looks, but I don't know what is stopping people from going with the real deal (iPhone) instead of an imitator (android) if the gap is closing.

daveonezero

Banned
"Be more like Apple"?
It’s “material” design.

it’s been awful for a long time but google pushes it.

I’ve been on iOS for a while but when using Android I was using Cyanogen or The Oxygen. Even then I was running Nova launcher and steered clear of Fdroid apps with this design philosophy in the description if I could help it.

Material Design
material.io
Material Design is a design language developed by Google in 2014. Expanding on the "cards" that debuted in Google Now, Material Design uses more grid-based layouts, responsive animations and transitions, padding, and depth effects such as lighting and shadows

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I like it, but I am Samsung user, so I get none of it. Feature wise, Samsung has always influenced what appeared in later version of the Android.

Also, can't wait for this style of Flutter widgets to come out.

dev wise Flutter SDK > everything else.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I like it. Simple. And I like the big font and widgets... I'm older so it helps when I don't have my glasses on.

Ha, joke is on you.
I have a Samsung phone so support for new android versions ended like 2 weeks after it launched.

Beer Ok GIF by Busch

Lol this is precisely why I ditched Android and went to iPhone.

Apple is still updating phones almost a decade old, whereas any non-Google android is supported for like a fucking week.

DarkestHour

Banned

Apple is still updating phones almost a decade old, whereas any non-Google android is supported for like a fucking week.

Nah, that's not true and shows you don't understand how Android updates work. I'm an iPhone user and even I understand Android pushes updates to everything via the Play Store and not via entire OS updates like Apple does.

I understand the OS upgrades usually drop off after two years, but you're not missing much.

Last edited:

Fbh

Yeah, I still like Android better and at this point I probably won't jump ship, but the lack of support by most android phone manufacturers sucks. I guess I get it for the super cheap low end stuff but they can't even be bothered to support their flagship devices.

Samsung will sell you a $1000 phone, then a year later they are like:
Season 1 GIF by NETFLIX

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I got the update yesterday. I'm still getting used to some stuff. Parts of it feel clunky right now especially the notification panel. However I do really like some of the privacy options such as how you can tell an app your approximate location instead of pinpoint.

TransTrender

Gold Member
The first three pictures look almost exactly like IOS or whatever fucking OS is on my Iphone13.
I was thinking about ditching it and getting a Pixel, but fukin' yikes.
No, this is bad. This is all bad.
You are all bad.

"Be more like Apple"?

Yes, it's exactly this.

Last edited:

plushyp

Yeah, I still like Android better and at this point I probably won't jump ship, but the lack of support by most android phone manufacturers sucks. I guess I get it for the super cheap low end stuff but they can't even be bothered to support their flagship devices.

Samsung will sell you a $1000 phone, then a year later they are like:
Season 1 GIF by NETFLIX
Many companies like Oppo and OnePlus provide 2 years of OS updates and 1 year of security updates.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Pixel 3a here. The only thing that urks me is the massive font of the clock on the lock screen. Not too bad overall though.

Nah, that's not true and shows you don't understand how Android updates work. I'm an iPhone user and even I understand Android pushes updates to everything via the Play Store and not via entire OS updates like Apple does.

I understand the OS upgrades usually drop off after two years, but you're not missing much.

Lol. I deploy mobile devices as part of my job. I know how updates work.

iPhone supports their phones with OS upgrades for years. My Samsung S8+ was a year behind on Android OS update because each manufacturer has to add their own OS touches to base Android. Hence why I said non-Google Android phones. So essentially you have to buy whatever Google makes (no matter the quality or options) or relegate to upgrading every 2 years if you want the newest release. That's BS.

Last edited:

Dural

I've used the Microsoft launcher for a couple of years and haven't looked back:

gs7YraH.jpg

This is what I used when I was on Android, loved it.

iPhone supports their phones with OS upgrades for years. My Samsung S8+ was a year behind on Android OS update because each manufacturer has to add their own OS touches to base Android. Hence why I said non-Google Android phones. So essentially you have to buy whatever Google makes (no matter the quality or options) or relegate to upgrading every 2 years if you want the newest release. That's BS.

This is why I’m now on iOS, in addition to the much better resale/trade in value.

Dream-Knife

Banned

Why does having the latest release even matter? Most of the changes year to year are insignificant after 5.1.

Then again, I think flagship phones are a huge waste of money. It's a phone not a laptop.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Don't know what Google was thinking, but my god does Android 12 look awful.

Most accurate description I've seen is somebody saying it looked like a 2nd grader designed it for a 70 year old person.

If you haven't upgraded yet, but are interested in do so, I would definitely look at some previews or videos on YouTube first or read up on it. IMO the aesthetic drawbracks it brings to the table are enough to not upgrade.

I'll include some screenshots I took when I get some more free time.

Edit:
Time is split into two lines, and takes up considerably more screen space. No more weather info.
Lx59FT3.jpg

PIN pad takes up more screen (vertically)
bPlJUin.jpg

Quick access icons are larger, when no notifications it still covers the whole page, and lots of empty/white space.
upwG9EO.jpg

Brightness slider is larger, quick access icons are larger, and lots of empty/white space.
6pq6g0p.jpg

Use of bold text for time, "add alarm" button is larger, and toggle for alarms button is larger.
zhEEAqd.jpg

Monochromatic color and lots of empty/white space.
fiyE4Q0.jpg
Doesn't look much different than my Ecobee thermostat.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
It looks terrible and tbh nothing like iOS as some here are trying to push… It would actually be good if Google simply copied the whole iOS design and ditched this material design thing.

TVexperto

wow, this looks like someone designed a UI while using photoshop for the first time in 10 minutes.

i was big on android 10 years ago when it all begin and only recently switched to iOS but im happy I did the switch.

Top Bottom