• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andy Robinson Reports Perfect Dark Developer Suffered Departures Due to Leadership and “Cultural” Issues. Contradicting Matt Booty.

Of course

It is not NORMAL for a "Creative Director" of your project to leave less than mid-way through. Anytime that happens it seems like it's a recipe for disaster.

We saw this with halo infinite iirc.
Ms always had this way too corporate vibe to them when it comes to gaming. At least with Sony and Ninty you always had the sense of genuine passion for games. But hey, money does go a long way in this industry.

Ozzie666

Andy did the Yooka Laylee game, which was trying to play like Banjo Kazooie.

Would you care if Naughty Dog or Nintendo came out and lied to people about a game that's been in development for years with nothing to show for just as long?

Same here, one of the two is giving misinformation, it's either Indie developer of Yooka Laylee, or it's the head of Xbox Game Studios.

Meanwhile Phil is nowhere to be found, so you're trapped between a Booty and a hard place.

If Andy can get some others to add more credibility to his words, than it would immediately put Booty in a negative light and we would have to question everything he says. Assuming people weren't already doing that.

I find it funny that Japanese companies like Nintendo and Square are overly honest and use the 'Please Understand' comment and they still get bashed. They can't win either way. But it's refreshing. With all the comments from Booty, it's coming off as damage control and panic. Like he didn't need to say anything unless 343 has them spooked. In this case, If I had to choose, I'd be more inclined to believe Andy, just because Booty is talking way to much recently.

geary

This type of news regarding "cultural issues" and "leadership problems" starting to became boring. Show me a corporate level company in any fucking industry where the employees are happy that the bosses want to make money. All this drama is idiocy and clickbait shit. Not mention that in the gaming industry everyone is a snowflake and have issues with the smallest thing happening.

I want them to make tweet why Nestle leadership sucks, or Coca Cola.

Last edited:

Filben

The lack of details makes him come across as a gossip girl... I know something something, can't go into details, but definitely know something. If you don't have anything meaningful to say then let it go, man. How desperately want some people to stay relevant? Reminds me of the time when some people would teaser some drama on Facebook, then people would comment and act like they care and the OP would never get back or comes with the next non-context and completely vague sentences.

Leyasu

Banned
Andy did the Yooka Laylee game, which was trying to play like Banjo Kazooie.

Would you care if Naughty Dog or Nintendo came out and lied to people about a game that's been in development for years with nothing to show for just as long?

Same here, one of the two is giving misinformation, it's either Indie developer of Yooka Laylee, or it's the head of Xbox Game Studios.

Meanwhile Phil is nowhere to be found, so you're trapped between a Booty and a hard place.

If Andy can get some others to add more credibility to his words, than it would immediately put Booty in a negative light and we would have to question everything he says. Assuming people weren't already doing that.
Apart from fanboys or drama loving cretins, who honestly gives a fuck?

The proof is in the pudding. If the game turns out great the fucks given will be even less. If it turns out bad though…..

Three

It's amazing how this era of hiring based on "diversity" and not talent is screwing up game development.

It's almost like actually knowing what the fuck you're doing is more important than your genitalia or skin color.
This is such a cop out. Any source on your idea that these were "diversity hires"? Because as far as I know and remember The Initiative was mostly talent hires from other studios and they weren't very diverse.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
https://gamingbolt.com/perfect-dark...e-to-leadership-and-cultural-issues-rumor/amp

Where's that damn Matt Booty? lol

I said to be cautious when taking what he said wholesale and people got on me for it, see? See what happens when you trust the Booty instead of the Brain?

So, we take one man's tweet who claims he has spoken to many developers who say opposite of MB? Where's his fucking proof? He has about as much proof as matt does in this case.

GaF can be absolutely breathtaking sometimes. Lol

SSfox

"Cultural issue"

eye-roll-ugh.gif

I though Perfect Dark has some fantasy on it, so they're making it very real life thing it seems.

Banjo64

cumsessed
So, we take one man's tweet who claims he has spoken to many developers who say opposite of MB? Where's his fucking proof? He has about as much proof as matt does in this case.

What proof do you want?

Matt’s on Xbox’s payroll. Of course he would follow the company line.

Andy has a media background and worked for Playtonic therefore likely has very good connections within the industry.

One of the stands to gain something from lying, one of them doesn’t.

Xenon

It's amazing how this era of hiring based on "diversity" and not talent is screwing up game development.

It's almost like actually knowing what the fuck you're doing is more important than your genitalia or skin color.

It also seems that any development problem is now automatically a problem with "diversity". It's the new lazy devs meme.

Why would anybody assume that a dev team working on a game about saving the planet from global warming and eco terrorists would be an issue with ideology.

FireFly

Why would anybody assume that a dev team working on a game about saving the planet from global warming and eco terrorists would be an issue with ideology.
I thought the game takes place after environmental disaster, like any standard Cyberpunk narrative? It certainly seems a stretch to diagnose particular problems with the development process from details about the game's basic premise.

Crayon

They couldn't agree on whether a hotdog is a sandwhich or not and it became an insurmountable cultural issue.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
What proof do you want?

Matt’s on Xbox’s payroll. Of course he would follow the company line.

Andy has a media background and worked for Playtonic therefore likely has very good connections within the industry.

One of the stands to gain something from lying, one of them doesn’t.
Your reasoning and logic are astounding! smh...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
WTF is "Cultural Issues"?
Could be many things. Sony Bend had cultural issues which basically meant a tug of war between the old school directors of the game who wanted full control vs the millenial losers who wanted more of a say in someone else game instead of you know just keeping their head down and do what they are told. I remember Cory complaining about how many times he had to fight for his vision not with Sony execs but with his own team who simply didnt want to do what he wanted them to do.

It could also be SJWs vs Boomers. Could be poorly leadership like with Ken Levine where the guy couldnt make up his mind and kept rebooting the game. But seeing as how many leads have left, it could just be that no one on the team likes each other. 343 had the same issues. MS hired the best developers and turns out all the big dicks guys dont like to work under other people. They all slowly left.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Proof is in the pudding.

Several leads including directors have left. Game has been in dev for 4+ years and still no ingame trailer let alone a gameplay trailer.

This isn't news.
They should spend some of the money they have on fixing their internal production already since they can't even manage that, instead of buying half the industry.

Gears of War is nowhere of what it was 10 years ago, Halo...let's not go there, Fable...that game was announced in 2020 or 2018 and it's still barely a game. This one they had to hire an entire studio...the same studio that gave us the latest Tomb Raider trilogy (which was basically every single idea from better 3rd person games crammed into one) to make a game that's not even theirs. What could possibly go wrong here?

Can't wait to see what they do once they have Activision, lmao.

Yea, let's not.

plTGenx.png

aenvMWI.png

sQ8eRHO.png

7Ax1PIw.png

BC1XJVu.png

This isn't news.

Yea, let's not.

plTGenx.png

aenvMWI.png

sQ8eRHO.png

7Ax1PIw.png

BC1XJVu.png
Anyone who thinks Infinite deserves a score that high is high lol that barebones campaign with virtually no story and rinse and repeat missions/locations would have gotten any other game knocked down to a 6 at best but because 343 had F'd up the series so much people seemed to get overly excited because they added a grappling hook that did make the gameplay more fun.

If you are trying to argue that Halo is anywhere near what it used to be it's clearly a bias you can't overcome, it's not anywhere near as popular, the games haven't been good since Bungie left and frankly it's a franchise on its way out. I don't care how many people played it on a rental service it's a meaningless metric, I played it on GP but I never would have bought it and I bought every Halo game before Halo 5.

Top Bottom