• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd - 3DO Interactive Multiplayer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Angry Video Game Nerd (AVGN) episode 191: 3DO Interactive Multiplayer. The 3DO gaming console has been talked about before on AVGN, in the Plumbers Don't Wear Ties episode. But, the Nerd is back to review some of the other awful games for the system, however, there are a few gems in there too. The "REAL" 3DO Interactive Multiplayer was a game console hardware platform originally released in 1993 (with the first models released by Panasonic and other models released by other companies in 1994.) Cheap production cost of CDs led to a large amount of shovelware being released for the system. In this review, the Nerd covers Gex, Road Rash, DOOM, Way of the Warrior, Crash N Burn, Soccer Kid, Battle Chess, Street Fighter II, Alone in the Dark, Cyberia, PO'd, Demolition Man, Virtuoso, a bunch of American Laser Games stuff (Mad Dog McCree and Crime Patrol), and more.

SkylineRKR

System had its charm. Came out a bit too soon but the idea was there, the PSX and Saturn weren't much different. Just did everything better and had a more consumer friendly price.

Best ports of Shodown, SSF2T back then. Gex, Road Rash, NFS were good.

stranno

3DO had MANY great games, and the worst showcased in his video are like masterpieces compared to Iron Angel of the Apocalypse. The crappies and clunkiest first person shooter I've ever played. Not only it runs constantly in single digits, you cant press two buttons at the same time, so forget walk and turn, turn and shoot or anything, basically.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I know this is a fairly common complaint but I miss when his channel was just him and his friends with poor production value. Since he got tied up with these new guys it feels like the soul has just been drained out of it.

I agree. But this episode was actually pretty good. Felt like the Nerd from at least a couple of years ago. I like the ones with a certain theme.

Stuart360

God it all seems so forced now. I dont know if the AVGN is just getting stale after being around for so long but yeah its not how it used to be.
I wonder who plays all the games now for the footage too, after Mike left.

Alpha Male

I got the Panasonic for my 18th Birthday in Fall of '94 from I think Circuit City at a steep discount because they weren't selling at all since they were so expensive. Got FIFA and Way of the Warrior with it. The only others I remember were Madden, Doom, Wing Commander and PGA Golf.

I don't have many memories other than these few games because I really didn't have much time for gaming along with the console being so short lived as I got the PS1 a year and a half later. I loved my short time with it though!

*edit* I forgot about Demolition Man!

Last edited:
I was super into Need for Speed and Road Rash on 3DO. I haven't been into racers since, but I was obsessed with those games.

I thought Gex was cool too. It also had the best version of Street Fighter 2.

I know this is a fairly common complaint but I miss when his channel was just him and his friends with poor production value. Since he got tied up with these new guys it feels like the soul has just been drained out of it.

I think that’s YouTube in general these days mate , it was bound to happen once monetisation came into play. YouTube used to be the alternative for me from mainstream media/tv/satellite etc , now I feel it’s not much different. Ads, paid promotions, shills, strategies to get donations and so on. As you say it feels soulless.

Those early AVGN vids and the ones we have now , there is a clear difference. The early ones felt raw, straight to the point and fun. His Deadly Towers and Virtual Boy vids in particular had me rolling. Yes the humour is juvenile, potty mouth stuff , admittedly I do get a kick out of it for what it’s worth.

Romulus

The value of that thing was a complete joke, especially considering the PS1 was just around the corner. It smoked it in performance, price, and content.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
God it all seems so forced now. I dont know if the AVGN is just getting stale after being around for so long but yeah its not how it used to be.
I wonder who plays all the games now for the footage too, after Mike left.
I just watched a minute or two skipping around games. Ya, it's a compilation recap as opposed to him playing a game and making off the cuff comments for 20 minutes, but the guy is reading off a script.

Not sure the exact timing his material got shit, but no doubt his best videos were his low quality recordings from his early years where you barely see him and simply watch game footage and a guy recording reactions into a shitty mic.

It's like Married with Children. Midway through the series it became really forced and way different than the early years.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think that’s YouTube in general these days mate , it was bound to happen once monetisation came into play. YouTube used to be the alternative for me from mainstream media/tv/satellite etc , now I feel it’s not much different. Ads, paid promotions, shills, strategies to get donations and so on. As you say it feels soulless.

Those early AVGN vids and the ones we have now , there is a clear difference. The early ones felt raw, straight to the point and fun. His Deadly Towers and Virtual Boy vids in particular had me rolling. Yes the humour is juvenile, potty mouth stuff , admittedly I do get a kick out of it for what it’s worth.
Our company hires bloggers to promote products. They get paid somewhere around $5k to $10k. They get cases of product, and digital support where our marketing department will send them digital art and whatever they need to make the videos look slick.

Then the marketing department will send a company memo saying to check out the blogger's video when it's up.

Why the fuck would we all want to watch a paid promoter say our product is great due to being paid with a big cheque and free product?

And the marketing department thinks this is the best thing all year.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I had an old friend of mine in middle school that had a 3DO. I remember playing Way of the Warrior but being more interested in playing DOOM 2 on his dad's laptop, haha.

I don't understand all the shade flinging at AVGN, I'll be honest and admit that I haven't kept up with the dude in a LONG time. I mean, I stopped caring for his videos a great deal ago. But I still respect the hell out of him for still doing it. He still has 3.5 million subscribers on YouTube, so, whatever man, keep on keepin' on.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never played a 3DO, but saw some footage at stores. SF Turbo looked and sounded incredible. But the load times were game breaking.

I'm pretty sure FIFA might had looked better than FIFA on Saturn and PS1. At least that's I think I remember.

Only other thing I remember about 3DO is a guy coming into a store and asking the clerk if he could match prices of a fighting game called The Shadow. All he was looking for is price matching like $3 from another game store down the block.

For you Torontonians, that was that overpriced game store at Eaton Centre in the 90s called Video Connections 2000 you entered from street level. The store that was still trying to sell copies of every game at full price. Thunderforce II and Super Hang on for $80 in 1995 when they were being dumped elsewhere for $30-40 for years. The customer wanted to price match one of those game kiosks in that indoor flea market at Yonge/Dundas. It's literally a half block down the street.

And the clerk said no. lol

Not sure why I remember it. Probably because they argued a bit and I laughed while pretending to browse games.

Last edited:

skit_data

The price of that thing was fucking INSANE for what you got.

Imagine paying $1200 bucks for that thing and one of the few games was ”Plumbers don’t wear ties”. That game is probably one of the worst work of interactive media I have ever seen. No, make thay one of the worst products to ever be produced and sold. They should’ve paid people to even lay eyes on that shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom