• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Pretty sure youtube doesn't pay cinemassacre at all anymore because it's not family friendly which is why they have sponsors and put avgn on amazon now.
I seem to remember hearing that with 1 million subs you could live comfortably few years ago. Then the youtube changed it's algorithm so it started favoring people who upload content more, screwing guys like AVGN and Angry Joe who used to put out these longer videos that took time to make. That is probably why we have James & Mike Mondays etc

MarkusR

Neo Member
I even haven't known that there were some games according to this movie. I think for that time it was pretty nice. What do you guys think, would you like to try this games 20 years ago?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Rewatching all of AVGN for like the 30th time. Dude really has an anal/scat fetish.

Also surprised at how well so many of these older episodes hold up. Love it.

Definitely one of the best video game reviewers on YouTube. Though the quality of his content definitely stagnated for a few years (from 2011 til at least late 2016, I'd say), his old videos are timeless entertainment and he's lately been making a comeback with his newest videos.

Grinchy

Banned
I randomly watched his Beavis and Butthead episode the other day and then youtube suggested the James and Mike Mondays video of them playing it before the episode was made. It was pretty cool seeing them go through the game and basically write all the points that would go into the Nerd episode. I kinda liked that format better than the Nerd episode, too.

brap

Banned
Should be titled "Chronically Confused about a series I don't give a shit about". I guess screenwave wanted him to make a quick video on the series since the new game is coming out. AVGN Fortnite review when??

Shaqazooloo

The names of the Kingdom Heart's games have always bugged me too lol. I kept seeing Kindom Heart's 358/2 day's and saying wtf is that suppose mean?
Same goes for decimal titles, I don't know what that's about.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The names of the Kingdom Heart's games have always bugged me too lol. I kept seeing Kindom Heart's 358/2 day's and saying wtf is that suppose mean?
Same goes for decimal titles, I don't know what that's about.

358 Days Over Two. 358 days between two people. It makes sense after you beat the game, but it is a dumb as fuck title. As for decimals, that is more of "Here are all the games between 1 and 2, so we will call it 1.5!" 2.8 being the outlier as Nomura considers Dream Drop Distance as Kingdom Hearts 2.6. He considered Birth By Sleep to be 0.1 so 0.2 Fragmentary Passage + Kingdom Hearts 2.6 = Kingdom Hearts 2.8. It is dumb. Super dumb.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Rewatched the entirety of his videos over the past month. They are still fantastic today and great entertainment. I just wish he released videos on a more regular basis.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
his "I refuse to review Ghostbusters 2016" video popped up the other day and i watched it. i have to admit, i gave him shit for that stance at the time, but now, i feel like it was both a bold stance to take and the right one. that movie was garbage and the only reason i saw it was the attached property.

Last edited:

Dunki

his "I refuse to review Ghostbusters 2016" video popped up the other day and i watched it. i have to admit, i gave him shit for that stance at the time, but now, i feel like it was both a bold stance to take and the right one. that movie was garbage and the only reason i saw it was the attached property.
She shit he has gotten for this by the so called progressive press was ridiculous. They even called his wife a golddigger. They really showed their true face at this time.

DeanKind

Neo Member
I always knew it was a smart move not to review the Ghostbusters 2016 movie because either way he was going to upset one or the other no matter his stance.
Going by his movie reviews chances are high he doesn't like it. He's not a fan of CGI (unless absolutely necessary, and hates bad CGI more so), He tends to like old school horrors and practical effects.
I have a very similar movie taste to AVGN going by his reviews and Monster Madness series.
I haven't seen the Ghostbuster 2016 film...no interest so I can't comment on it, but my younger brother has seen it and says "It's Aids"...his comment, not mine, lol.
People need to realise that we are individuals, and everyone has an opinion...doesn't mean your/their opinion is higher or lower...it's an opinion. Just like an objectively bad game can be loved by someone...doesn't mean he/she is wrong. The best way to show you don't like something...is not watch it or play the game or buy the product etc etc. Why try and seek to change someone's love for a game/movie...let them enjoy it.
Ranting and raving online about why YOU/THEY don't like something, in particular, doesn't mean others won't like it. I don't like the Fast & Furious movies...but millions do....are they wrong? (yes they are :p) but it all goes about taste too, even if friends/partners you swear are 100% in sync with and everything you like/love is a match...something will be different. People lack respect for each other now and want people to think and believe what they think is correct...
Being triggered by opinion's is draining, I used to get upset over nonsense online years ago (mostly defending Limp Bizkit lol), and realised it was such a waste of energy and puts you in a foul mood for most of the day. Best way to avoid this attitude, for me anyway, was to keep my opinion to myself or allow people to have their opinions and respect it. AVGN obviously choose to keep his opinions to himself.

(Sorry this was a little longer and preachier than I was anticipating...once I started writing...I couldn't stop...my bad....AVGN rocks btw!)

Maguro

Really? Never knew.
Yes, get the ultimate tmnt collection by IDW. Those are collection hardcover books with all original chronological issues.

They gave them different color bandanas for the TV show which was not like the comics.
The later artists who worked under the eye of Eastman and laird (the creators of tmnt) used the colors onwards in the comics.

VulcanRaven

Mike tricks James into playing the worst Batman game ever!:

That game is bad. They should have made AVGN episode of it. :D

Last edited:

Helios

New AVGN!

Chex Quest Trillogy:

Oh yeah, I'm sure AVGN knows who Ray J is (I don't). I don't mind these beginning of video ads, since I know youtube pays like shit especially for someone that uploads once in a blue moon but he really sounds like he's reading off a teleprompter.

Anyway, I actually really liked the episode. Or as he puts it: "I hate to say that I don't hate it"

TheContact

She shit he has gotten for this by the so called progressive press was ridiculous. They even called his wife a golddigger. They really showed their true face at this time.

what's funny is he was objectively correct even if you for some reason didn't agree with his stance. I think people just like to complain about things they probably don't even give a shit about in order to get clicks and likes

drganon

what's funny is he was objectively correct even if you for some reason didn't agree with his stance. I think people just like to complain about things they probably don't even give a shit about in order to get clicks and likes
It all worked out in the end though. Ghostbusters 2016 flopped and the head guy bullying him got me too'd something fierce. Meanwhile he's kept on trucking.

Why do I keep watching this... Feels forced and not funny for years now
I kinda agree, I really love his older videos way more with genuine anger at games, nowadays it seems so forced it's hard to watch. The only newer videos I tend to enjoy right now is with James and Mike Matei in them playing through some old-ass games. It's funny how Matei took the mantle with his angry issues haha.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I still enjoy AVGN but he's definitely less into it now it seems. Less angry. Money and success will do that do you lol. Still fun though. Cinnemassacre in general is just a fun channel.

What's wrong with Mike? Has he committed the sin of being conservative on the internet?

Shaqazooloo

I still enjoy AVGN but he's definitely less into it now it seems. Less angry. Money and success will do that do you lol. Still fun though. Cinnemassacre in general is just a fun channel.

What's wrong with Mike? Has he committed the sin of being conservative on the internet?
I think it might've had to do with Gamergate or some BS. Resetera craps on him so i'm sure it was nothing.

Looks like 60 style "Underground Comix" style comedy. Knowingly transgressive and playing with taboos for the purposes of satire or just shock humor. It's got that very blunt and simplistic 60's Underground writing style. Aping the simplistic dialogue of mainstream comics, who's audience skewed younger, and juxtaposing it with vulgar adult imagery. Sometimes it had something to say, sometimes it was just a cheap laugh. But it was the stuff of old-school hippies and liberals. Not an earnest expression of sincerely held views.

Honestly it's not far off from the kind of thing that artists like Robert Crumb were lauded for. It's really not my thing, personally. But It doesn't make Mike a racist.

jadefire66

Their last videos have been so fucking bad... and now 24+ vids in October with the slobs in them? Oh god. This might make me finally unsubscribe :/

Top Bottom