• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is Now Japan's Best-Selling Game of All Time

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Animal Crossing: New Horizons has blasted through one of the most impressive sales records possible to become the best-selling game of all time in Japan. New Horizons has now cleared 10 million copies sold solely in Japan, pushing it past the previous record holder of Super Mario Bros., which has moved 6.81 million units over the course of its lifetime. An impressive feat, to be sure, especially since the next-highest seller was the original trio of Pokemon games.

Robb

Gold Member
Did not expect the original Super Mario Bros. to be the previous best seller, or that it was ‘only’ at 6.8M..

If that’s the case I imagine AC will have the throne for a couple of decades from now on.

AC has just become insanely popular.. I also heard that New Horizons has outsold all of the previous AC games combined.

5da4d216cc4a0a311e303ea5

They dont fuck enough in Japan.

GeekyDad

That's encouraging to read. Simply because of the type of game it is. It's nice to see what many folks are focusing on.

yurinka

At least here in Europe Super Mario Bros was bundled in every NES sold. Was also the case of Japan?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
At least here in Europe Super Mario Bros was bundled in every NES sold. Was also the case of Japan?
Quite rare for Japan to pack-in a game with a console, especially for Nintendo before the Wii.
So while I can’t be 100% sure, I can safely assume the answer is no.

This thread will generate some interesting comments.

Marvel14

Banned

Animal Crossing: New Horizons has blasted through one of the most impressive sales records possible to become the best-selling game of all time in Japan. New Horizons has now cleared 10 million copies sold solely in Japan, pushing it past the previous record holder of Super Mario Bros., which has moved 6.81 million units over the course of its lifetime. An impressive feat, to be sure, especially since the next-highest seller was the original trio of Pokemon games.
It's not really a game. It's a life sim

#sarcasticallyangryatnintendosuccess

Lognor

Banned
That's really impressive. I knew it was popular, but not THAT popular. Pretty cool that the best selling game in Japan has a female director

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I think that the success is due to the confinement of the covid 19 pandemic that somehow kept people calmer from this atrocious event and helped them not to be stressed.

That article claims the game has “just now” become the best selling title of all time. How can that be if there is a 3 million sale gap between it and the previous record holder? Did it sell 3 million copies overnight?

Top Bottom