• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the best selling video game in Japan, of all time. Beating Pokemon Red/Green/Blue with 10.4 Million copies sold.

Animal Crossing New Horizons has now sold 10.45 million copies in Japan alone. This has now surpassed one of the long-time record holder Pokemon Red and Green on Game Boy. These games sold 10.23 million copies in Japan.
The site also revealed that the game has reached those numbers despite only launching two years ago. Most of the top ranking games launched over 20 years ago. The other title that has gained fifth place in this particular list is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which launched in 2018.

Many of the top selling games in japan of all time took years to reach their rankings. But in two years Animal Crossing NH beat them all handily.

But it's also worth noting that AC-NH has only sold 10,4M units, which shows that this may be the first breakthrough video game in the country where a large percentage of active game players brought a single game instead of being fragmented, other than the mention Pokemon Red/Blue/Green, the rest are millions away.

But I'm surprised at how popular AC in Japan with just a few games, and Rune Factory flipped out of existence for being that combined with a JRPG. Strange, you'd think that would have sold more as a result.

Woopah

I don't get the "only 10.4 million" point.

We'll have too see if Splatoon 3 or Pokémon Violet / Scarlet can dethrone New Horizons.

feynoob

Banned
Its the 2nd most sold exclusive game. I woud be suprised if it didnt hit those numbers on japan.

Currently it sold 40m copies.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
one of the most overrated game of all time.

Bought and play it for quite sometime, and stop.
Too many grindings and their online play design and mechanics is ancient.

Last edited:
Top Bottom