• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons |OT| Self-isolating on a deserted island

I am itching to get my Island in town mode. I am tempted to time travel, it seems no Mr. Resetti or any other negatives to doing so in the game right now.

Maybe I should just set my clock for February and play until I reach my current date and stop. Might regret it later.

Mista

Banned
I am itching to get my Island in town mode. I am tempted to time travel, it seems no Mr. Resetti or any other negatives to doing so in the game right now.

Maybe I should just set my clock for February and play until I reach my current date and stop. Might regret it later.
I had the same thought but only setting back by a week or two.
Whats the benefit of doing this? Having everything unlocked faster?

Yeah, you can skip ahead a day for new buildings or things that take real-world days to pass.

yeah this is my main reason, since the early game is slow I wanted to amke sure I was having fun. I don't want to play for 2 hours tonight and have to wait for trees to grow or new builds to build in real time.

I'll play in real time after I get Isabelle or before the Easter event since you need to set your time in real world time to play the events.

15k bells money rocks per day should add up too.

can someone tell me what is so special about this game? sounds like a waste of time

i think theres two types of people.

ones who love to customize tf out of their games when possible and those that dont give af and just roll with the defaults typically.

im the latter hence this game comes across extremely lackluster to me. but those in the first category drool for this type of game. I have coworkers who have been planning their town and island designs a month in advance of release. i dont get it. customizing layouts and design and caring too much about cosmetics in a game just doesnt appeal one bit to me. to each their own though. i'm also willing to be people who love animal crossing are more likely to purchase cosmetic DLC for games than those who dont see the fun of AC.

Porcile

I like the progression of building my town and house, getting the collectibles, and the special events but usually get bored after 30 hours when the actual gameplay loop becomes totally monotonous. I guess 30 hours of game time isn't too bad at the end of the day.

Kacho

I like the progression of building my town and house, getting the collectibles, and the special events but usually get bored after 30 hours when the actual gameplay loop becomes totally monotonous. I guess 30 hours of game time isn't too bad at the end of the day.
Yeah, the early game progression is great. I also enjoy the fishing, bug catching and fossil hunting. I definitely hit a wall between 30-50 hours though because there isn’t much to do other than collect items and decorate (which I’m not a fan of).

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I am loving it. If you bought the Animal Crossing Switch, you even get a letter from Nintendo thanking you for buying it and giving you an AC Switch, on top of the regular one you get.

*Wardrobe not my choice. Lol

wuq9TZm.jpg

U9PXXZC.jpg

Btw, anyone know how to stop that annoying time overlay from popping up? I know, camera mode, but just for taking casual pictures without going into all of that.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Done for the night. Awesome so far.

I swore that the resident tent closed by 10 pm so after I got into the game I was rushing to make sure I got a fishing pole and net for my first night only to find out they are open 24 hours. They must get hours later.

also after bitching about crafting, I’m actually liking all the options presented so far. The way they have it organized there is probably going to be tons of things in here. The DLC has the possibility of being great if Nintendo doesn’t mess this up.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Is the Switch in the game cosmetic? I remember the NES on the original one you could play games on it - now of course before anyone sneers at me, I realise you wont be playing Switch games on a virtual Switch, I just wondered what you can do with it, if anything.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It’s so much fun to be playing a brand new Animal Crossing, and tomorrow/the entire year already seems brighter, but it’s surprising how simply this one starts.

It is literally 1/3rd of an island, two tents/animals, Nook’s base, and your tent. That’s it for civilization. Of course, you can get two major tools earlier than ever before, and crafting and Nook Miles bring a lot to do, but with other ACs, more was happening from the start.

Not a complaint, as we all know the game is going to heat up quickly, just an observation.

It feels like today was more a first taste, and I’m hooked. The visuals are beautiful (playing Animal Crossing since I was a kid, with the first one, that really sticks out), the crafting a fit so perfect you’d imagine it’d been there since the beginning, and the whole deserted island theme is refreshing, fun, and adventurous.

Last edited:
-Arcadia- -Arcadia-

Watch IGNs review. What put me off is that the guy said it takes a lot of real time days until anything happens. He said it took em just 3 full days to get one new tool. They gave it a good score but he said the grind is too long in the beginning as you said there's literally nothing from the beginning.

bumpkin

How far in have people been getting the vaulting pole?

I am regretting my island choice right now. I have a tent to place for a new visitor and I really wish I could put it on another part of the island (across the river).

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Most of these villagers look like a serial killer in training. But then again all villagers do. No but seriously how many haircuts can you choose? I want something to cover the eyes once I get this.

-Arcadia-

Banned
A big key to progress is bringing local wildlife to Nook. DIY recipes practically spill out of him, and it brings something to the island. I'm really feeling like things are in motion now.

These words have never been typed more often throughout history, but I don't know what IGN was on about. I'm unlocking tool recipes and things left and right, and I started just last night.

Top Bottom