• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons |OT| Self-isolating on a deserted island

Finally all the snow is gone. I think that everything white is so boring.

The next season (here) is spring, and Animal Crossing is so beautiful in spring.

My Switch Lite arrives next week, my guy. And I'm still considering this game even though I am normally not my kind of game hey there.

But the Ashkenazi in me just wants a nice, big warm library of Switch games and I'm open to trying games I normally wouldn't like Smash Bros (ngl that looks fun anyways) but I'm more of a JRPG or Zelda person.

But AC looks wholesome and even though I don't have wifi, I'd still bring The Crossing with me to say, a hotel out of town, and do my dirty online deeds with my furry island friend there.

Plus just fun so why not?

I like the seasonal updates we’re getting. It seems like Nintendo is able to add more holiday-ness to the events this way.

That being said, I still feel like we’re missing a lot of the stuff from New Leaf. I don’t like Kicks (?) and Labelle (?) being visitors. I liked them having their own stores. Also, I miss the different Nook store stages. The fortune cookies were nice too. There’s no “meta” items to go for, in New Horizons.

I like the seasonal updates we’re getting. It seems like Nintendo is able to add more holiday-ness to the events this way.

That being said, I still feel like we’re missing a lot of the stuff from New Leaf. I don’t like Kicks (?) and Labelle (?) being visitors. I liked them having their own stores. Also, I miss the different Nook store stages. The fortune cookies were nice too. There’s no “meta” items to go for, in New Horizons.

Maybe we'll get some new shops in the November update.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It’s not Best Season in the game yet, but we’re close enough that I feel like I can finally use all the awesome Fall/colder clothes I’ve been collecting throughout the year, lol.

It was even cooler to see an animal recognize me doing that, as well as all the mentions to Fall in the dialogue, Nook’s shop becoming autumn decorated, the look of the game starting to change (?), and even the loading icon switching.

Between that and all the cool stuff for Best Holiday, this month is going to be so much fun.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Totally agree. Remember the dance club? Or Tortimer’s island (which had much more going on than the random ones here)? New Leaf felt packed with everything you could want and perfect, and Horizons, despite being a spectacular game, just feels like it’s missing some of that.

Swimming and some recent additions definitely helped, and coffee shop for Fall or I riot, but I do feel the game has some ways to go to get back there.

Mozza

Totally agree. Remember the dance club? Or Tortimer’s island (which had much more going on than the random ones here)? New Leaf felt packed with everything you could want and perfect, and Horizons, despite being a spectacular game, just feels like it’s missing some of that.

Swimming and some recent additions definitely helped, and coffee shop for Fall or I riot, but I do feel the game has some ways to go to get back there.

I can see how some would feel items are missing, but for me the games decoration features more than make up for this, and there is always the chance these missing things will be added over time, that's the best of both worlds in my book.

I do not remember putting anywhere near the hours into New Leaf as I have done with this game, up to 700 hours or so and loving it.

Dream Address DA-0957-2799-1843

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
So, got back into this because of the Halloween event. Always loved Halloween in AC on the GC and booted it up for several years after I had stopped playing the game just for the Halloween stuff.

May have gone a little overboard on the pumpkins. Thay're FAR easier to grow than hybrid flowers so after just one harvest I have a hundred orange and have enough sprouts for the other colours to produce a couple of hundred in the month.

Good relaxing game though. Needed to escape the news, drama and general crap that's going on and once again the game was just the right thing to steal a couple of hours of peace.

Last edited:
Good relaxing game though. Needed to escape the news, drama and general crap that's going on and once again the game was just the right thing to steal a couple of hours of peace.
Animal Crossing has always been good for that. Looking back, this year is the year that’s needed the distraction of Animal Crossing the most.

If it were not for my bad money situation I think this would - eventually will be my next game.

I need a relaxing chill game like this after everything I'm going through.

Normally this is not my kind of game but I changed my mind and want it.

JayK47

Finally was able to track down a Switch and pick this game up. I don't remember past games being so much work. Playing for 5 to 15 minutes a day was more than enough time to enjoy past games. This game is a bit of a chore and consumes so much more time with menial tasks like crafting every damn thing. It is definitely a grind to move things along. The new normal with gaming it seems.

Finally was able to track down a Switch and pick this game up. I don't remember past games being so much work. Playing for 5 to 15 minutes a day was more than enough time to enjoy past games. This game is a bit of a chore and consumes so much more time with menial tasks like crafting every damn thing. It is definitely a grind to move things along. The new normal with gaming it seems.
New Horizons have less content than New Leaf, but I do not think this is a grind problem. It sucks that you need to craft individual recipes instead of a set, but the crafting is not the bigger problem in the game.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
What are the best ways to get flooring and wallpaper? I unlocked my first spare room and wanted to make a bathroom since I have everything for it, I just need flooring and walls now. Kind of weird to have a bathroom with wooden floors and shit.

What are the best ways to get flooring and wallpaper? I unlocked my first spare room and wanted to make a bathroom since I have everything for it, I just need flooring and walls now. Kind of weird to have a bathroom with wooden floors and shit.
The Nooklings Shop after it's been upgraded. The cabinet they have in there is the main way to get Wallpapers and Floorings. Sahara will come to your town from time to time selling Mysterious Wallpapers and Floorings that can only be gotten from her. That is the only way to get them outside of random chances from villagers, Recipes and Wisp.

Last edited:

iu

Winter came in June. :p

Now we are heading to summer and I wish that someday Nintendo of America remembers that there are two hemispheres.

But there are few snowpeople now and is not as cool as was in New Leaf. There is no Snowman bingo and just one type of snowman.
Plus their messages are really depressive right now.

HFNSm3O.jpg

Last edited:

HF2014

Thanks

When I dig up bells I deposit 99,000 in hopes of a fruitful money tree

Am I doing it right?

Yes and No. 99000 bells will give you 3x99000 only about three trees out of seven. On the long run you make profit, but best bet is put 10000 bells everytime, you will always get 3x10000 and on the long run, give you way more bells over a year. 20000 profit each days.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I finally found a Nintendo Switch for the family Christmas present, and I was especially happy to see that it was an Animal Crossing themed version. Unfortunately--and you really have to admire Nintendo for the sheer chutzpah of this--the game is not included. You just get the characters printed on the system and a unique color design for the controllers.

So that means I'll have to get a copy of the game at some point. I loved the Nintendo DS version but haven't really followed the series since, as it seemed that Nintendo was just repackaging the same videogame over and over. It's nice to see a few interesting additions in this latest edition, and I'm hoping that the online features are good. But this being Nintendo, I should probably expect an online experience from 1998 and be happy with what I got.

Bluecondor

So that means I'll have to get a copy of the game at some point. I loved the Nintendo DS version but haven't really followed the series since, as it seemed that Nintendo was just repackaging the same videogame over and over. It's nice to see a few interesting additions in this latest edition, and I'm hoping that the online features are good. But this being Nintendo, I should probably expect an online experience from 1998 and be happy with what I got.

I was in different spot than you getting AC: New Horizons for the Switch, as this was my first Animal Crossing game. So, given that you played the Nintendo-DS version, you have probably seen many of the game mechanics in the past.

This said, the game is very polished and activities like fishing and bug catching are pretty immersive. For example, the fishing in this game is way more immersive than the fishing in Stardew Valley. While I enjoyed the fishing in Stardew Valley at first, the mechanic became a boring chore after awhile. Even though I have been playing NH since March, I still find myself wanting to fish to catch the various types of fish. Similarly, the bugs are actually pretty interesting to catch as well, as there are so many different types and various rare bugs are worth lots of bells.

As you probably remember from the DS, the world building in the game over time is excellent, arguably due to how the game uses the real world clock. Your villagers dress according to the season, and even make reference to things like holidays and the weather. Case in point, the Thanksgiving event was pretty basic in terms of gameplay, but it really felt like a Thanksgiving feast on the island with the villagers being so excited about it. It looks like the upcoming Christmas event on Christmas Eve will be similar in terms of everyone on the island being excited about gift giving, etc.

Online is really limited. I used online to make money selling turnips for a good price and I still use online to download custom-made clothing made by other players (like Under Armour hats and sweatshirts and the jerseys/shirts/hats for various pro and college sports teams). Interacting online with other players is really underwhelming though, largely because your communication options are so limited (no voice chat - just typing messages and in-game reactions).

Forsythia

I just want a bloody christmas tree, but no, instead of just letting me buy one I have to be lucky to get one from a balloon and then craft it myself. Goddamnit, I hate this. With the thanksgiving items I at least had a choice.

So just got through tutorials. Where do I see all the cool Christmas stuff and/or how can I visit other islands?

Do I have to pay for a Nintendo Online subscription to visit other islands and all? I currently just have the free Nintendo online account and all.

Also do I have to have people on my Friends list on Nintendo who also play the game to visit their islands or can I visit a random users island?

Right now I'd like to see a Christmas event or something.

Last edited:
So just got through tutorials. Where do I see all the cool Christmas stuff and/or how can I visit other islands?

Do I have to pay for a Nintendo Online subscription to visit other islands and all? I currently just have the free Nintendo online account and all.

Also do I have to have people on my Friends list on Nintendo who also play the game to visit their islands or can I visit a random users island?

Right now I'd like to see a Christmas event or something.
Once the Resident Services is fully built is when you will start seeing events and what not. basically you need to see the first K.K. Slider Concert before you can really do anything. You can only visit islands of people on your friends list. You can go to Mystery Islands but these are just little islands that may or may not have more uncommon resources. As for the Christmas event it's called Toy Day. If you see characters wearing Santa hats as well as a Reindeer dressed as Santa you can do the Toy Day stuff.

Once the Resident Services is fully built is when you will start seeing events and what not. basically you need to see the first K.K. Slider Concert before you can really do anything. You can only visit islands of people on your friends list. You can go to Mystery Islands but these are just little islands that may or may not have more uncommon resources. As for the Christmas event it's called Toy Day. If you see characters wearing Santa hats as well as a Reindeer dressed as Santa you can do the Toy Day stuff.
You mean the dog playing the guitar because I'm passed that.

Also took this screenshot capture while playing. Too perfect.

NbMmkGe.jpg

bender

What time is it?
Cross Posting from NintendoGAF:

Hi Animal Crossing Friends. I'm in desperate need of white-hyacinth seeds. Can anyone check their stores?

Forsythia

So a new patch and a "new" seasonal event. Which is the same shit with every other event so far. Collect a bunch of crap and be happy to get some DYIs. At least you can buy the new items in the store, unlike the Christmas items.

It's really time for one big patch which adds everything that's missing from New Leaf. It's insane there still isn't a new store upgrade, or the coffee shop, or more villager text.

I like building my island the most but with no way of backing up my current island I'm quite hesitant to restart. Why can I only have 1 island Nintendo!?

Top Bottom