• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Nikodemos

Behold, one of the greatest villains of our age!

uwh8je9.png

silentstorm

PV for Kinnikuman 2024 came out:

I don't know if anyone saw Ultimate Muscle when they were younger, but this is in the same setting...kinda, it's a prequel following Mantaro's dad and the previous generation.

Or if you know more about the franchise, it's a sequel to the classic run of the 70's and 80's and kinda retcons Ultimate Muscle, in that part of that setting was that Kinnikuman quit and had no adventures after becoming a king, in this anime, it turns out he had more fights after he became a king that i guess no one just talks about in the future?

Ce'Nedra

Neo Member
Such boring seeing Solo Leveling will end after this episode making us wait for a year or two zzzz. They have done like 50? Manga chaapters already, ending it in 50 would be possible

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Mamayuyu got axed in Shounen Jump I assume NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt probably read that shit. Heard it turned into a harem. I read Kagurabachi instead.

Next week Ken Wakui creator of Tokyo Revengers is starting a series in Shounen Jump which is insane news. He's been riding it hard with Kodansha for ages.

NanaMiku

I'm kinda surprised that most new Jump titles are not battle manga.

I enjoyed:
Two on Ice (about pair ice skating, really good)
Green Green Greens (about golf)
Goze Hotaru (about blind singer in old time)
Days of Diamond (baseball, got award nomination)
Show-ha Showten (manzai)

For Monogatari fans, Humble Bundle is offering the MONOGATARI Returns, Again manga and light novel bundle (40 Items for $30)

WQPY6lO.png

Last edited:
Didn't think I would see chinese anime with jp dub this season. Dragon Raja.

First ep is 47 minutes long (00). It was pretty funny introduction ep - seems promising.

I think I enjoyed it the most out of shows which are already airing besides Wind Breaker.

Last edited:
I heard an acquaintance say that Frieren was up there with Cowboy Bebop in terms of quality.
Fireren is pretty good. Slow paced oldschool show with good writing, no weird story jumps. Still plenty of action though.

Good direction, pacing, good art - backgrounds are oldschool pastel style. Plus there are plenty of funny moments.

Quality is there - story and world building and character building like back in the day.

Give it a try, different genre though.

BTW.

Sentenced to Be a Hero

No release date. Looks like it can be good.

I have never heard of Studio KAI. Random vid recommendation on YT.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Frieren, Delicious in Dungeon and now Spice and Wolf back, 2024 is the year of wholesome fantasy anime it would seem...need a new Berserk series to balance it out ;)

Frieren, Delicious in Dungeon and now Spice and Wolf back, 2024 is the year of wholesome fantasy anime it would seem...need a new Berserk series to balance it out ;)
It's a shame Berserk always get the short end of stick when it comes to adaptations.

I personally would want Vagabond to get a series. Since Vinland Saga got one.

Berserk, Vinland Saga and Vagabond I always was impressed with artworks of those mangas.

Nankatsu

Just binged Solo Leveling's 12 episodes.

Really cool so far. That Igris fight, damn fucking fire.

Last edited:

Labolas

Back from finishing another manga. This time, it's an action shonen series.

Project Arms

Plot summary (from mangatoto): From Ryoji Minagawa and Kyoichi Nanatsuki comes a world of nano-machines, cybernetic assassins, powerful telekinetic opponents, and secret organization dedicated to bringing forth the next evolution of humankind. Containing all the best elements of sci-fi, spy fiction, and conspiracy theory stories, Project Arms is about kids whose arms transform into grotesquely deformed superweapons.

Well this took me awhile to finish. This manga was created by the same artist that did Spriggan which I didn't know about until I was in the middle of the story. Funny enough they do share similar story beats. The story centers on four kids who are mysteriously tied to an evil corporation that controls practically every facet of the world. While the story does focus on the 4 different characters, the primary focus is Ryo who has the most powerful weapon/arm which is destined to destroy the world.

The art is ok to decent in the beginning part of the manga but does improve noticeably around volume 10. It never gets to fantastic art but gets near being great. The paneling and action scenes get more detailed as well and flow better together in later volumes compared to the early parts.

HKBIenk.jpg
vs.
G238PG7.jpg

The story is decent but isn't anything you haven't seen before. You see as the story evolves, it thematically uses the Alice in Wonderland characters and story for its plot. You see characters' powers and codenames as Alice in the Wonderland characters like the Jabberwock, the Knight, Mad Hatter, and White Rabbit. The story does a rinse and repeat of introducing a bad guy into the story, then beating bad guy and then introducing a bigger more badder guy in the story and repeat that cycle throughout most of the story. I will say that even though the story is somewhat simple I appreciate where the story takes the characters, pick up old storylines, and evolve the characters. And the ending does have a satisfying conclusion.

Overall I did not regret picking this up and reading it. It's simple but fun story that you can easily get into. Definite recommend this as someone's first manga to get into. Solid read.
(7.5/10)

Also watched the first two episodes of Ninja Kamui. It's good but you definitely tell an American wrote it.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I tried Kaiju number 8. It was a pretty good first episode. I'm not familiar with the source material so I couldn't say how close it is.

I also finished up Gushing Over Magical Girls. That was some good quality shit right there. Any good ecchi this season?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
uWG2YGb.jpg

Never read Tokyo Revengers but that was a really fucking good first chapter. Shounen Jump needs to star power too with JJK, MHA and One Piece coming to a close.

Fuck, Two on Ice just ended. Damn Shonen Jump with their quick axe
That’s a shame, I read a few chapters a while back and thought it was really good. Didn’t know this was published in Jump, was it the weekly (with JJK, MHA etc.) or something else? I guess that sort of manga (sports / romance) won’t find enough of an audience in Jump.

NanaMiku

That’s a shame, I read a few chapters a while back and thought it was really good. Didn’t know this was published in Jump, was it the weekly (with JJK, MHA etc.) or something else? I guess that sort of manga (sports / romance) won’t find enough of an audience in Jump.

Itsumo launched the ice skating manga in the magazine's 43rd issue of 2023 on September 25. Shueisha shipped the second compiled volume on April 4. Viz Media also distributes the manga in English digitally alongside MANGA Plus.

Looks like it was serialized in the main magazine (weekly). Days of Diamond (baseball) also runs on the main magazine. It seems it has to be a mainstream sport to be a success in Jump. Dammit, my most favorite Jump mangas are mostly the smaller titles lol

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Was in Jump and the second to be axed after MamaYuyu, one more series biting the dust next week and it'll be Shadow Eliminators. The first chapter was fucking awful.

NanaMiku

Was in Jump and the second to be axed after MamaYuyu, one more series biting the dust next week and it'll be Shadow Eliminators. The first chapter was fucking awful.
Oh, right. There are three new titles

Astro Royale by Tokyo Revenger author
Far East Necromance by Aliens Area author
Cycle Biyori by new author Omusuke Obayashi

Last edited:
Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf 1-3

Has it really been 16 years since the OG anime aired? Am I really this goddamned old? Sigh.

Yes, this is a remake. The OG LN and manga finished up years ago now. The goal of this remake, as I understand it, is to bring the story closer to the OG LN and manga. They are also more closely following the art style seen in the manga as far as I can tell. The OG VA's are back, so it's once again Ami Koshimizu as Holo and Jun Fukuyama as Lelouch Kraft Lawrence. The animating studio is now Passione and they are masters of making girls look cute and you can rest assured that not only does Holo now look more like her manga counterpart, she's also super cute.

From the very start, it is very clear that they are putting a premium on following the story closely. If you know the story already, then the first episode's opening sequence should be reassuring they seem to be taking that seriously. The show is scheduled for a 25 episodes run, so they seem intent on covering a decent amount of content right away and if enough people watch they might try to cover the entire story from beginning to end with subsequent seasons. Guess we'll see on that. The animation is all very super modern and a notable step up from the 2008 anime, and I feel like they have dramatically improved upon Holo's tail fluffiness.

I was going to watch this one anyways but I'm glad they seem to be trying to do a really good job with it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Jesus christ... I have just found an anime that is... I can't explain it but incredible. I have no idea how I missed it when it was airing in the winter season.

This is not your typical show, all I can say is when the plot hits near the end it's got one or those "OMFG OF COURSE" moments, I don't want to spoil anymore than that other than to say it's one of the few animes iv seen that has an American as the main character, and I love it, it elevates it into something truely unique.

It gets so much shit right that other shows fall over again and again, it's funny, it's likable and for CGI robot it's well animated. Why did no one literally talk about this when it was airing? This is a gem.

rackham

it’s a shame re:monster is harem garbage. I like the concept of reincarnating into something non human. It’d be one thing if he was just getting that gobussy but women are throwing themselves at him that were kidnapped to be breeding slaves. They’ve known him for a month.

NanaMiku

Jesus christ... I have just found an anime that is... I can't explain it but incredible. I have no idea how I missed it when it was airing in the winter season.

This is not your typical show, all I can say is when the plot hits near the end it's got one or those "OMFG OF COURSE" moments, I don't want to spoil anymore than that other than to say it's one of the few animes iv seen that has an American as the main character, and I love it, it elevates it into something truely unique.

It gets so much shit right that other shows fall over again and again, it's funny, it's likable and for CGI robot it's well animated. Why did no one literally talk about this when it was airing? This is a gem.

This is a masterpiece.

Top Bottom