• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 36 17.8%

• Total voters
Source?

Also it looks like in Japan overall reception to the ending is positive. Ultimately his main audience is over there.

No not all of Japan is taking it well. A lot of them think the series as well as the ending is garbage

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
The ending was perfectly fine. I would have prefered more chapters obviously, to flesh it all out more. Nowhere near garbage that all of a sudden supposedly ruins the series as a whole. People need to calm the fuck down. This is not GoT levels bad.

Last edited:
The ending was perfectly fine. I would have prefered more chapters obviously, to flesh it all out more. Nowhere near garbage that all of a sudden supposedly ruins the series as a whole. People need to calm the fuck down. This is not GoT levels bad.
You are right. It is a 100x worse

Last edited:
I would give AOT 6 to 6.5 range out of 10

First 3 anime seasons: 9/10
Season 4 (including unreleased remaining final seasons) = 4/10. Holy shit the CGI is bad.

Ending Manga Chapter: 1/10. 1 = isayama waking his ass up drinking diarrhea tea/coffee and just getting it over with

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Whoa, Chopper is the fucking man

It also looks like Momo-san is going to be a threat after all...
That ending...fuuuuuuuuuuuck. Luffy is truly a monster
Caught up again, the last 4 chapters of One Piece... This is all anyone can ask for.
This is too good to be true. HOW does this arc continue to keep escalating like this?!??!?!?!!!?!!??

They managed to separate the Yonko. So now Eustass Kid and Killer are going after Big Mom, Zoro has inflicted enough damage to Kaido to earn his acknowledgement as a supreme fighter and swordsman, and Luffy is looking more confident than he’s ever been. Versus Kaido. I’m in awe of this raid. This entire arc actually. One last note, Trafalgar seems like he still has some in the tank despite getting thrashed but Zoro is badly hurt. Luffy gave them his word, it’s 1v1 now

pramod

Banned
I've been trying to figure out just wtf happened in the ending of AoT, since nothing seemed to make sense. But I think I finally figured it out?

So Eren has some power to see the future and he knew there was only one way to get rid of the Titans forever. So basically what has to happen is:

Ymir has to witness Mikasa killing Eren. For some reason (that I still can't really figure out), this would free her from her own obsession with King Fritz, and thus she would give up the Titan powers, and all Titans would disappear.

This is why Eren had to start the Rumbling, he had to become the villain so Mikasa would have to kill him.

Did I get this right?

But still, this "plan" doesn't make much sense to me. What if someone else killed Eren? What if they failed to kill him?

OR was everything just kind of "predestined" to happen anyway? If so, doesn't that go counter to everything Eren stood for (ie to be "free"?) So he was predestined to do A and B so C would happen, no matter what?

I mean I think the first 3 seasons have been amazing so far, even though the story is getting a lot more crazy and complex, it still kinda "makes sense". But from what I'm hearing seems like the final chapter has totally jumped the shark.

Last edited:
I've been trying to figure out just wtf happened in the ending of AoT, since nothing seemed to make sense. But I think I finally figured it out?

So Eren has some power to see the future and he knew there was only one way to get rid of the Titans forever. So basically what has to happen is:

Ymir has to witness Mikasa killing Eren. For some reason (that I still can't really figure out), this would free her from her own obsession with King Fritz, and thus she would give up the Titan powers, and all Titans would disappear.

This is why Eren had to start the Rumbling, he had to become the villain so Mikasa would have to kill him.

Did I get this right?

But still, this "plan" doesn't make much sense to me. What if someone else killed Eren? What if they failed to kill him?

OR was everything just kind of "predestined" to happen anyway? If so, doesn't that go counter to everything Eren stood for (ie to be "free"?) So he was predestined to do A and B so C would happen, no matter what?

I mean I think the first 3 seasons have been amazing so far, even though the story is getting a lot more crazy and complex, it still kinda "makes sense". But from what I'm hearing seems like the final chapter has totally jumped the shark.
How did Mikasa know to go inside Eren's Colossal Titans Mouth to sever the head? Its usually the nape. You pretty much got it right, but 'making sense of it' still falls part apart in multitude of ways. Any reader should not have to go to great lengths (including going back to past chapters) to make sense of this, because the reader faces 2 problems: it was pointless, its full of ambiguity, and contradictions. There is nothing 'mysterious' or 'deep' about this. Its poor writing, intellectual laziness, ineptitude, and fraud.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
How did Mikasa know to go inside Eren's Colossal Titans Mouth to sever the head? Its usually the nape. You pretty much got it right, but 'making sense of it' still falls part apart in multitude of ways. Any reader should not have to go to great lengths (including going back to past chapters) to make sense of this, because the reader faces 2 problems: it was pointless, its full of ambiguity, and contradictions. There is nothing 'mysterious' or 'deep' about this. Its poor writing, intellectual laziness, ineptitude, and fraud.
Yeah I agree. I would also say that Eren is probably one of the worst "main hero" I've seen in an anime or manga. He is annoying, whiny, and way too cowardly relatively to the other characters, considering how much power he possessed. It's just hard to sympathize with him, especially after he gained all those powers. I actually feel Armin should (or maybe actually is) the main hero of the story. At least we see how he uses his intelligence to continuously save the day, unlike Eren who seems to be just following his "destiny" or whatever it is.

Just finished my second anime series ever - Death Note (Evangelion was first).

Overall it was really good. It hit a low point for me after a certain character died and the series started to overstay its welcome for me, but the last few episodes brought it back up. I literally just got done watching the last episode and it hit pretty hard with the feels. Maybe I'm a bad person, but I was really hoping for a different outcome - even though this ending was well deserved. Damn.

Gonna start Cowboy Bebop next.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Just finished my second anime series ever - Death Note (Evangelion was first).

Overall it was really good. It hit a low point for me after a certain character died and the series started to overstay its welcome for me, but the last few episodes brought it back up. I literally just got done watching the last episode and it hit pretty hard with the feels. Maybe I'm a bad person, but I was really hoping for a different outcome - even though this ending was well deserved. Damn.

Gonna start Cowboy Bebop next.
I envy you getting to experience cowboy bebop fresh.

Durask

So, watched first two episodes of 86. I liked the first 3 LNs, after that the quality went down IMHO but still OK.
Second episode had a painful cringey exposition anime-only scene. Disappointing.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've been buying manga on Humble Bundle (DRM free) for years but it's always such a pain to log into their site (or app), download the manga files, put them in the right folder on my device, and read them. I also kept losing my place all the time and it became a royal pain in the ass. I just picked up that new Anime Season bundle which came with like 83 new manga volumes. Gonna take me a while to plow through those. I have a few hundred manga / comics on Comixology as well, sadly not all of those are DRM-free.

I wanted to simplify things. So - over this past weekend, I set up a Komga server on my NAS. Anyone else here use this - or something like it? It took a bit of configuring to set up and get running in Docker on my Synology, but now it's super simple to use. Literally just make a folder for a series, then drop CBR / CBZ / EPUB files in, and they'll get indexed and sorted. It keeps my place among multiple devices, and makes my collection web-accessible without having to jump through Humble's hoops. Curious to see what everyone else is using to manage their digital manga collection, if anything.

Fbh

From the new season so far:

Enjoyed the first 2 episodes of Vivy: Fluorite Eye’s Song.
Pretty good visual style and the story, while dealing with generic themes, seems like it could be interesting.

SSSS.DYNAZENON
Ehhh I don't know. Watched the first 2 episodes because it's from Trigger but it's not really grabbing me. I think there has to be some twist coming why everyone is so "meh" towards giant fucking monsters and robots fighting it out in the middle of the city.

The World Ends with You: The Animation
Liked the game back in the day but I think I'm no longer the target audience. It's painfully generic shonen. Also some of the monster use some of the ugliest CGI I've seen in a while, I'm half expecting Optimus from Beat Wars to show up at this point.

86:
Could be fun I guess. I like the concept so far.

Anything else worth checking out this season? (I don't like comedies, slice of life stuff or hyper generic shonen)

So, watched first two episodes of 86. I liked the first 3 LNs, after that the quality went down IMHO but still OK.
Second episode had a painful cringey exposition anime-only scene. Disappointing.

I'm not familiar with the LNs but I've enjoyed the first 2 episodes.
But yeah, that hilariously bad exposition scene in episode 2 really stood out

Last edited:

NahaNago

I've been buying manga on Humble Bundle (DRM free) for years but it's always such a pain to log into their site (or app), download the manga files, put them in the right folder on my device, and read them. I also kept losing my place all the time and it became a royal pain in the ass. I just picked up that new Anime Season bundle which came with like 83 new manga volumes. Gonna take me a while to plow through those. I have a few hundred manga / comics on Comixology as well, sadly not all of those are DRM-free.

I wanted to simplify things. So - over this past weekend, I set up a Komga server on my NAS. Anyone else here use this - or something like it? It took a bit of configuring to set up and get running in Docker on my Synology, but now it's super simple to use. Literally just make a folder for a series, then drop CBR / CBZ / EPUB files in, and they'll get indexed and sorted. It keeps my place among multiple devices, and makes my collection web-accessible without having to jump through Humble's hoops. Curious to see what everyone else is using to manage their digital manga collection, if anything.
Been a long time since I checked out humble bundle. Didn't even know they were doing mangas.

Shubh_C63

Can you guys suggest any good anime ? I have turned off on anime for a while, everything seems so stupid.

Only following That time I turned into a Slime, AoT-S4, DBHeroes and Demon Slayer.
Edit : And ofcourse One Piece. Because One Piece is eternal.

Last edited:

KielCasto

So, Monster #8 is kinda fun? I like the main character so far. Plus, the art is just cool.

On the anime side, I’ll share my thoughts on some of this season’s shows:

Jouran: The Princess of Snow and Blood. 4 episodes in. The story is about revenge. It is moving too fast but does have some cool scenes. Mostly meh.

Tokyo Revengers. 2 episodes in. I heard the manga started strong but turned generic later on. Anyway, good first episode. Good set up. I expected it to be a little more dramatic, but I have this feeling that it’s incredibly shounen.

MARS RED. I’ve watched 2 episodes, and this is one of my favourites this season. The parallels between the plays and main plot are very interesting to me. I was looking for a “show, don’t tell” anime, and I think this is it. I hope it remains good until the end.

Pretty Boy Detective Club. Dropped after 1 episode. This is not for me, but it looks good.

Odd Taxi. The best part of this is the dialogue, which there is plenty and feels natural. The characters are well written too. I’m most excited by this show. Try this. The op is also good. Here:

I’m also watching Iruma S2, Zombie Land Saga Revenge, The Slime Diaries. I already like those series, so no complaints here.

KielCasto

Can you guys suggest any good anime ? I have turned off on anime for a while, everything seems so stupid.

Only following That time I turned into a Slime, AoT-S4, DBHeroes and Demon Slayer.
Edit : And ofcourse One Piece. Because One Piece is eternal.
Well, you can try Jujutsu Kaisen. It’s a battle shounen and is easy to get into. Other than that, if you liked the politics part of Slime, you can try Log Horizon. If you want more comedy in your isekai, try Cautious Hero or Konosuba.

If you like strong main characters, watch Mob Psycho. This is incredibly good.

If you’re willing to embrace the absurdity of anime, watch Kill La Kill. Admittedly, I didn’t finish this one, but the episodes I did watch were good.

And for a random recommendation, I say watch Asobi Asobase. It’s also stupid, but I laughed at every minute of this show.

KielCasto

Yeah Monster 8 is pretty fun so far. It's a shame the author takes a break every 3 weeks, combined with the rather big panels it makes the story move kinda slow.
But I think it could turn into a hit.
At least we (sometimes) get illustrations from the break.

The pacing makes me think I’m reading a monthly manga. But the current arc is exciting. He gets exposed and will be taken to prison. I thought they’d drag his secret out

If you liked Evangelion I can highly recommend Raxephon. Its very similar in some aspects but I prefer it to Eva.
I can’t recommend Rahxephon enough, one of my favorite mecha shows — I rewatched it recently. While the similarities with Eva are very obvious, it it’s very much its own thing especially when you compare the plots and characters. Ultimately the similarities end up superficial. Raxhephon is also inspired by Brave Reideen (very old mecha show) and feels like what super robot anime in general should have evolved into but didn’t. Plus it’s extremely well directed, the animation often gorgeous and the music sublime.

Durask

Anyone else watching 86? I'm liking this show

Yeah. Think I will watch ep 3 now.

I read the LNs, well first 1-5, still have to read 6 and 7.

Update:
As a LN reader, every anime only scene is like nails on chalkboard.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
Here's what I've been watching this Spring Season. In order from Mon to Sun:
  • Higehiro (Shaved and took in a High School Girl) - With that title it's gotta be sketchy. But it's surprisingly wholesome and the MC Yoshida is a real one who's just trying to help a very messed up girl.
  • To Your Eternity - From the writer of A Silent Voice, so it's definitely an emotional one, and has some amazing art. I think of it as if "The Thing" was not an evil monster.
  • Mars Red - I think it was said by another that this feels like a Play, and that makes sense since I think it's adapted from a play. But I like the aesthetic and the way the narrative is told with some interesting camera angles and direction. Vampires in an alternate Japanese history seems interesting enough.
  • Jouran: Princess of Snow and Blood - Another alternate Japanese history tale, but this one for me hasn't really held me that well. The pacing of the show is very fast and a lot of events happen without enough build-up. Also so far no real good use has been made of the alternate history. The characters themselves are also not that compelling. It looks pretty though.
  • Full Dive RPG - From the writer of Overly Cautious Hero, it's a riff on the VRMMO genre and gaming. It's definitely a dark humor show, with someone getting beat down on harshly in a super realistic game that must have been made by sadists. I do enjoy that kind of thing though.
  • So I'm a Spider So What - Still following this, it's got some eps that hit, and others that miss, with a bizarre case of the 3D aspects being better than the 2D. But at least the outstanding vocal performance of Aoi Yuuki as the titular character is still compelling.
  • Back Arrow - I feel like one of the only ones watching this, but I enjoy it as to me it feels like an old school anime from the 2000's. Pretty light fun fare that I feel has gotten much better and interesting in its second half as war breaks out and new powers appear.
  • Those Snow White Notes - I never imagined I'd watch an anime about the Shamisen, but here I am. The performances are incredibly well done and so far the characters have also been surprisingly engaging too. Also has a really hot mom.
  • Killing Slimes for 300 Years - This is a pretty chill anime with Aoi Yuuki again voicing the MC in an opposite role where she's Isekai'd into a much more chill and laid-back life than her Spider counterpart. It's a nice wind-down show to relax with some humorous character interactions.
  • Vivy: Flourite Eye's Song - I just started catching up on this as had been ignoring it, but it apparently is from the Re:Zero creator and it's got some pretty awesome visuals and character designs, so I'm definitely hooked after one ep and hope it keeps on going.
  • 86 - The next big War anime it seems. So far I have to say it is pretty entertaining with the direction being pretty on point and the characters so far mostly acceptable. Sawano's music also is very fitting and the CGI feels competent as well. It's supposed to be 24 eps so has a lot of potential.
  • Shadows House - This is a very artistic show, but it might be a bit slow for many, since it seems like a kind of "Slice of Life" in a strange setting with a servant of the titular location. It definitely has some interesting and eerie imagery though also some wholesome moments.
  • Don't Bully Me Nagatoro! - Did you know a renowned Hentai Doujin artist created this popular series? Well, perhaps the art of course would give that away. If you did like the manga you'll love the anime as it adapts the panels with some impressive quality animation.
  • Tokyo Revengers - An interesting time-traveling premise of a former delinquent who get a second chance to relive his school days and try to right some wrongs to save lives. This one probably has a bit of a slow start as it builds up the characters and the situation, but it still feels compelling to wonder how this situation can possibly resolve itself in a good way.
  • Pretty Boy Detective Club - Studio SHAFT + Nisio Isin usually = Monogatari. However this is one of Nisin's other works, but you can still expect that same unique narrative style and storytelling familiar to fans. The Boys aren't the only things that are pretty, as expected of SHAFT to create a truly exceptional vibrant and colorful artwork with panels that could easily be framed as paintings. A real cornucopia of visual delights.
  • Dragon House Hunting - A cowardly Dragon with the worst luck ever gets kicked out of his family and wants to find a house to live in peace. Not a simple task when he's hunted by Heroes and others. Until he finds a Demon Lord Real Estate Elf who takes pity on him and journeys alongside to find his house. It's a fun light-hearted series with a lot of Japanese cultural and media references.
  • Combatants Will Be Dispatched! - From the author of Konosuba! So expect a cast of scumbags and uselessness. That said, it probably won't hit the highs of the more renowned work of the author, from both being actually written before it, and because the Anime lacks the staff that knew how to adapt Konosuba! in a way that would work in the medium. Still should earn some laughs.
And Bonus!
  • Fairy Ranmaru - Take a group of Bishounen Twinks that can "Magical Girl" Transform into Stripper Twunks, with a dash of Jojo, some bizarre imagery straight out of Madoka, and a hefty running theme of Japanese Bondage (Shibari), and you've got this insanity. Although it's so far just about these Fairies that go around helping people tormented by "Sin" (Lust, Wrath, Envy, etc.), it's still one of the most unusual anime you'll find in the season by far, with some male posing that I've not seen before. I mean, oh wow... (I guess this be equal opportunity)

Labolas

Overview on the stuff I've seen and currently watching:

High Rise Invasion: A really interesting premise that butchered plot and characters. A lot of complaints were on the fanservice but I think it's the best part of the anime. The animation is decent and characters, who are not that fleshed out, are decent enough to keep the plot moving. Simply put if you want to watch this because it's on Netflix I'd say skip and read the manga if you want a coherent story, art, and characters. 5.8-6/10

Jujutsu Kaisen: Probably one of the few shonen series I can stand based on the premise and setting. Most of the characters are pretty much the same type of characters you'd get from a typical battle shonen series. It also helps that Mappa is doing the animation. I've been singing their praises since Rage of Bahamut: Genesis. Another positive the OST is a banger as well. I have to agree with Kubo, thinking about a lot of the female characters doesn't really pop for me. But the characters are serviceable and aren't insufferable. 7/10

Nomad: Megalobox 2: Man, what a completely tonal shift. Like even down to the music, it has a dowery tone to it. Still a solid show and a good follow up to one of my favorite shows in 2018 (alongside Asobi Asobase, I see that K KielCasto shouting that out).

86: Watched the first episode. Wasn't sold on it.

Tokyo Revengers: A really intriguing start. Hopefully it'll stay strong.

Monster #8: I think this might be the one manga where I don't have any major issues and just enjoying the ride. Still a solid manga but it is slow with updates.

20th Century Boys: Finished collecting the "perfect" editions of the manga. Currently on vol.8. One of the best manga I've ever read.

Last edited:

SinDelta

Lots of good anime/manga. Does anyone have any fun fantasy recommendations?

Cutty Flam Cutty Flam

Staying up to date
One Piece
One Punch Man
Berserk
Black Clover
Dragon Quest Adventure of Dai
Edens Zero
Jujutsu Kaisen

On and off
My Hero Academia
Log Horizon
Jojo Part 7: Steel Ball Run
Tower of God

Completed
Claymore
Code Geass
Dragon Ball Z - Sorta, mostly saw end of Cell Saga and parts of Buu Saga.
Deathnote (Was strongly tempted to drop after a certain point but stuck to the end.)
Full Metal Alchemist
Fate Stay Night (The original anime)
Gundam Seed (Not Destiny)
Gundam 00
Mobile Suit Gundam 79 Trilogy
Hellsing
JoJo Parts 1-6
Kill La Kill
Little Witch Academia
Super Dimension Fortress Macross and Macross Plus
Neon Genesis Evengelion and End of Evengelion, plus Rebuilds 1-3.
Outlaw Star
Ramna 1/2
Soul Eater
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Trigun

Considering
Slayers
Madoka

Considering giving another try
Battle Angel Alita
Dr. Stone
Demon Slayer
Dungeon Mushi
Fire Force
Spy X Family
Seven Deadly Sins
Symphogear
Vinland Saga

Dropped due to feeling the plot was or was about to fall off of a cliff/and or rushed ending
Attack on Titan
Bleach
Rage of Bahamut
D Gray Man
Detective Conan/Case Closed
Fairy Tail
Food Wars
Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans
Hunter X Hunter
Hitman Reborn!
Knights of Sidonia
Magi
Naruto
Negima
Overlord
Prison School
Psyren (this one still fucking hurts.)
Promised Neverland
Toriko

Last edited:

Fbh

LoL seems like the Demon Slayer movie leaked on PSN (was put up for sale by mistake for a few hours).
Guess Sony wanted one final swan song before they stop selling movies and TV shows.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Angels and gods of destruction is good for DBS. I don’t know where they go without them, obviously GOKU’s soul goes to getting stronger. Granola and the Cerealians, very interesting...

Cutty Flam

Banned
Hunter X Hunter is worth finishing IMO, if Togashi ever decides to pick back up on the current arc then I’ll be elated. There is something that is more important now than the plot that took 151 episodes to reach. The only thing is, Togashi hasn’t decided what it is lmao
Hunter X Hunter and JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure will always be favorites of mine

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion was surprisingly good. Consider it, will be a very entertaining watch. I saw it after having watched Death Note. Didn’t think I’d like Mechs at all, and I still don’t care for them. But Code Geass is a very strong show. Very rigorous storyline, it’s something most will need to watch a second time. And I think Lelouch Lamperouge gives Light Yagami and L a run for their money. I’d say he’s even more intelligent. There’s a lot of realism within the many themes of Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion too, pretty stimulating stuff, I found myself writing down quotes and taking notes at times even. That’s probably the only anime I have to recommend that wasn’t on any of your lists. It wont be for everyone, but I do think that Code Geass is a strong story

And I think we all know that Usopp fans will inherit the earth

Just finished watching demon slayer cause of a friend at work can’t stop talking about it,I liked it my favorite character was Agatsuma Zenitsu.

Fbh

Just finished watching demon slayer cause of a friend at work can’t stop talking about it,I liked it my favorite character was Agatsuma Zenitsu.
What Is Wrong With You Season 4 GIF by The Office

I never skip over stuff in movies or TV shows. But Zenitsu did it.
Dude's just annoying as fuck and the 20 seconds of nicely animated action he gets from time to time don't make up for it

Cutty Flam

Banned
I’ve tuned into Demon Slayer while others have watched it. I’m very surprised it’s been so successful. Sold billions in Japan. It’s good. I think Tanjuro has potential as a character and some of the fights are great. But some of them were cop outs. I’m not sure why it’s so popular, but it is kind of entertaining. I’ll say that there is potential, but I’m kind of confused as to how this manga/anime has blown up the way it has. What does everyone see in it that I don’t?

I’ve tuned into Demon Slayer while others have watched it. I’m very surprised it’s been so successful. Sold billions in Japan. It’s good. I think Tanjuro has potential as a character and some of the fights are great. But some of them were cop outs. I’m not sure why it’s so popular, but it is kind of entertaining. I’ll say that there is potential, but I’m kind of confused as to how this manga/anime has blown up the way it has. What does everyone see in it that I don’t?
You’re not wrong. I think a lot of its success is due to the animation. It’s silky smooth. I also think that it moves at a quicker pace than most shonen. But at the same time, why is One Piece or Dragon Ball Z so popular? The manga is selling that much because it is an older manga I believe and there is a back catalog of older issues.

NahaNago

Finally finished watching demon slayers. My rating for the show is B+. I really enjoyed the show and it kept me wanting to watch more. The visuals were weird at time. Like sometimes it looked really cheap like with those weird 3d scenes and then it would look amazing during a fight. You can really tell where they go cheap on the animation. The music I honestly can only remember is the opening and closing songs which is terrible since I've pretty much spent the last three days watching this series. The 4 main characters were fun to watch. It honestly reminds me of one piece. You have the slightly stupid but pure hearted leader, the crazy muscle headed swordsman, and the cowardly character plus womanizer so pretty much luffy, zoro, and usopp/sanji. The interactions between the bunch is a lot of fun.

I think what irks me the most with this series is two things the attacks seem like special elemental skills even though they are supposedly pure humans with no super extra abilities. Yeah, I know the super hearing and super smell exists but that isn't that crazy. If they had just said that you could gain special abilities if you train it would have fixed it for me. Make it some Chinese ki breathing technique for you to grow stronger. The other is the tone/style of the series changes so much. The beginning was so dramatic and had a more personal /realistic feel to it. You could easily make a real life movie from the start of the movie to the end of his training with the mask guy. The continuation of the ghost story was weird as well. Like they do a lot of things decently but not great. They do have some highs in the series but I would have liked more build up to those highs. The low dramatic points lack impact. They are sad but I kept thinking they could have made this scene more heartbreaking and had you crying your eyes out. It simply feels like the series doesn't know what it wants to be or kept trying to figure it out along the way.

The four main characters pretty much made the series for me. I just loved seeing them interacting. I would have loved to see more of nezuko but that is understable why she wasn't in it that much. Pretty much everything was good but nothing was great so I give this series a B+. I'm looking forward to more from the series. I'll probably go and watch the movie in theaters tomorrow.

edit: oh yeah the monsters are too overpowered. It makes no sense that a guy with a sword could take down these powerful monsters especially considering how unique the abilities could be. The arrow demon honestly turned me off of demons. He just seemed to out there at the time. The again the bog demon was odd as well. Just creating your own dimension with his powers was just too crazy. Like why bother attacking when you could just hide and wait for the demon slayer to leave.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
The 4 main characters were fun to watch. It honestly reminds me of one piece. You have the slightly stupid but pure hearted leader, the crazy muscle headed swordsman, and the cowardly character plus womanizer so pretty much luffy, zoro, and usopp/sanji. The interactions between the bunch is a lot of fun
Tanjiro cried like four episodes in a row at the start but then he started to become an excellent character. I like that insane ally of Tanjiro's with the blue boar's head costume over his head. I honestly saw nothing at all relating to One Piece but now that you mention it it does look like Demon Slayer took a page from the characters, to a very small degree. I was in it only for the fights, the humor is way too over the top at times and really cheesy at times. But that crow is funny, when that guy called Tanjiro's sister ugly and Tanjiro defended her beauty was funny, and the noodle soup scene too. But like when that one sword maker got furious with Tanjiro and the cowardly character with golden orange hair started overreacting I was just thinking how many times are they going to use the exact same humor in one season?

I'd give this anime a C+ overall. The fights are interesting enough to earn Demon Slayer a passing grade. Half the first season seemed more or less this: "These two guys are part of the 12 Kizuki" no wait, "This guy is part of the 12 Kizuki" oh wait no he was stripped of that title he's actually just below that level and is trying to get back yet he gives up so easily and dies to Tanjiro in battle. Then it's "This dad of the family is part of the Twelve Kuzuiki" and then it turns out that's not right. Continuing down the same path it's then, "Be careful, in this forest there is one of the 12 Kizuki" and then that turns out to be false as well. I was highly annoyed with that since I figured the sales of this anime would have meant it was incredible. I was honestly annoyed with the poor writing at times. I think the creator managed to capitalize on the entire Demon theme pretty well but I thought that this was going to be something special to watch considering the ridiculous amount of sales. Tanjiro, his sister, the blue pig, and some of the fights make this anime interesting

NahaNago

Tanjiro cried like four episodes in a row at the start but then he started to become an excellent character. I like that insane ally of Tanjiro's with the blue boar's head costume over his head. I honestly saw nothing at all relating to One Piece but now that you mention it it does look like Demon Slayer took a page from the characters, to a very small degree. I was in it only for the fights, the humor is way too over the top at times and really cheesy at times. But that crow is funny, when that guy called Tanjiro's sister ugly and Tanjiro defended her beauty was funny, and the noodle soup scene too. But like when that one sword maker got furious with Tanjiro and the cowardly character with golden orange hair started overreacting I was just thinking how many times are they going to use the exact same humor in one season?

I'd give this anime a C+ overall. The fights are interesting enough to earn Demon Slayer a passing grade. Half the first season seemed more or less this: "These two guys are part of the 12 Kizuki" no wait, "This guy is part of the 12 Kizuki" oh wait no he was stripped of that title he's actually just below that level and is trying to get back yet he gives up so easily and dies to Tanjiro in battle. Then it's "This dad of the family is part of the Twelve Kuzuiki" and then it turns out that's not right. Continuing down the same path it's then, "Be careful, in this forest there is one of the 12 Kizuki" and then that turns out to be false as well. I was highly annoyed with that since I figured the sales of this anime would have meant it was incredible. I was honestly annoyed with the poor writing at times. I think the creator managed to capitalize on the entire Demon theme pretty well but I thought that this was going to be something special to watch considering the ridiculous amount of sales. Tanjiro, his sister, the blue pig, and some of the fights make this anime interesting
Wow , you went hard on the rating. I honestly was wavering between an A- and B+ originially because it was so popular. I think I would give it a regular rating of just just B since it doesn't do anything spectacular but it was enjoyable.

I honestly thought with that sword scene from the boar pig that they would show Tanjiro receiving a new sword and it would change to a different color. Tanjiro crying for the first few episodes makes some sense. He is 13 years old, saw the mutilated bodies of his family, buried his family, sister is a demon, and then he travels this great distance to meet a stranger. Then he all of a sudden has to do some military training

Wait the boy spider was a rank 5 Kizuki. After I saw the face of the dad I knew he wasn't a kizuki. The issue with the series has to do with the director. From the changing art styles, to the writing of the story, to the changes from drama to comedy it all falls on the directors head.

Next step now is to read the manga. I'm guessing/hoping the manga should be better.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Wow , you went hard on the rating. I honestly was wavering between an A- and B+ originially because it was so popular. I think I would give it a regular rating of just just B since it doesn't do anything spectacular but it was enjoyable.

I honestly thought with that sword scene that they would show Tanjiro receiving a sword and it would change to a different color. Tanjiro crying for the first few episodes makes some sense. He is 13 years old, saw the mutilated bodies of his family, buried his family, sister is a demon, and then he travels this great distance to meet a stranger. Then he all of a sudden has to do some military training

Wait the boy spider was a rank 5 Kizuki. After I saw the face of the dad I knew he wasn't a kizuki. The issue with the series has to do with the director. From the changing art styles, to the writing of the story, to the changes from drama to comedy it all falls on the directors head.

Next step now is to read the manga. I'm guessing/hoping the manga should be better.
I had to say I how I saw it. Demon Slayer has a ton of potential, I think with all the success that there is probably a much better chance of the creator following up with a second season that absolutely kills it, than it staying on the level of the first season. Not to say the first season isn't good, because it is, but I think once the battles become more insane that's when this anime will really shine. You're right, Tanjiro had to become a man too early, and right after the most traumatizing, surreal scenario that could have possible happened. I was being too hard on him tbh

The main villain looking like Michael Jackson lmao

Top Bottom