• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 36 17.8%

• Total voters

Durask

bx127734-QOzj8jyKGPoz.jpg

Guy gets killed by bear-kun and gets reincarnated, his special power is a link to a store like Cabelas.

The author seems to have a fetish for big strong women ( as in literally big and strong see above).

Worth checking out for the WTF factor.

unknown.png

Harlock

I am cautiously optimistic.
The first series of the remake was incredible.
The second was, eh, not so much.
Yeah. The battles were more elaborate Quest to Iscandar. Comet Empire remake had a lot of big scale things, but with very generic ship to ship explosions.

There is something with the low budget from the original Saturn battle that is cool. It was a battle with a lot of errors from both parts and decided on luck, like some WW2 pacific battles.

Yamato 2205 teaser.

I just couldn't watch the second season, it was painful since the first episode, I lost hope and dropped around the middle. Will it be necessary to look this new season, I wonder?

Chaging subject, Odd Taxi is so fucking good! Amazing crime/mystery.
Glad I made it in time before the ending.

Last edited:
Finished Dynazenon. Almost as good as Gridman. Just great shows all around. Looking forward to another series.
I prefer it to Gridman, I think the characters are more interesting and the mecha designs cooler. The finale was awesome, both in terms of animations and music. Love that we got a lengthy epilogue too. If there is a third series, I'll be there day one.

Sakura

I prefer it to Gridman, I think the characters are more interesting and the mecha designs cooler. The finale was awesome, both in terms of animations and music. Love that we got a lengthy epilogue too. If there is a third series, I'll be there day one.
I do really like the characters for sure. But the over all plot isn't quite as good I think.
I feel like there is a large disconnect going on. Kaijuu destroy the city every week but nobody seems to care. In one episode the summer festival starts immediately after a fight. Trains seem to be running and stuff even when shit is going down. It doesn't make any sense. In Gridman at least they try to explain it with the resetting of the city the next day by the fog kaijuu.
The characters themselves, I don't really understand their motivations? They seem to be fighting because why not. They don't really seem to be scared or anything. They don't even need to be fighting seeings as it would appear anybody can pilot these things. They are so nonchalant about the whole thing. Why does Yume fight? Because Gauma tells her to, and that's it really. In Gridman, it makes sense why Yuuta has to be Gridman, and the other characters have their own thoughts that make more sense. Rikka for example doesn't want anybody else that she knows to die, so she wants Yuuta to fight as Gridman, and even feels conflicted about asking him to do that. Whereas in Dynazenon, Yomogi, Yume, etc just don't really seem to care? They don't even seem that aware of the fact that people are dying.
The show also has a lot of mysteries or subplots or whatever you want to call it, that it just leaves unanswered.
What's the deal with NEET senpai? Why is he a NEET? Why does he have money?
What's the deal with Chise? Why isn't she going to school and why does she have a Tattoo?
Why can Yomogi use instance domination on the Kaijuu?
What's the deal with Gauma and his past with the rest of the bad guys? What is the third thing he never says?
etc etc etc. In the next series maybe they will talk about some of this stuff, but I doubt they will cover everything.
Either way, Gridman I felt did a good job telling a self contained story that had a satisfying end that felt like it wrapped most things, if not everything up. Dynazenon doesn't have any of that.
Outside the plot though, they really do a phenomenal job with the directing, voice acting, writing, etc.

I do really like the characters for sure. But the over all plot isn't quite as good I think.
I feel like there is a large disconnect going on. Kaijuu destroy the city every week but nobody seems to care. In one episode the summer festival starts immediately after a fight. Trains seem to be running and stuff even when shit is going down. It doesn't make any sense. In Gridman at least they try to explain it with the resetting of the city the next day by the fog kaijuu.
The characters themselves, I don't really understand their motivations? They seem to be fighting because why not. They don't really seem to be scared or anything. They don't even need to be fighting seeings as it would appear anybody can pilot these things. They are so nonchalant about the whole thing. Why does Yume fight? Because Gauma tells her to, and that's it really. In Gridman, it makes sense why Yuuta has to be Gridman, and the other characters have their own thoughts that make more sense. Rikka for example doesn't want anybody else that she knows to die, so she wants Yuuta to fight as Gridman, and even feels conflicted about asking him to do that. Whereas in Dynazenon, Yomogi, Yume, etc just don't really seem to care? They don't even seem that aware of the fact that people are dying.
The show also has a lot of mysteries or subplots or whatever you want to call it, that it just leaves unanswered.
What's the deal with NEET senpai? Why is he a NEET? Why does he have money?
What's the deal with Chise? Why isn't she going to school and why does she have a Tattoo?
Why can Yomogi use instance domination on the Kaijuu?
What's the deal with Gauma and his past with the rest of the bad guys? What is the third thing he never says?
etc etc etc. In the next series maybe they will talk about some of this stuff, but I doubt they will cover everything.
Either way, Gridman I felt did a good job telling a self contained story that had a satisfying end that felt like it wrapped most things, if not everything up. Dynazenon doesn't have any of that.
Outside the plot though, they really do a phenomenal job with the directing, voice acting, writing, etc.
NEET senpai lives with his mom (or both parents, we don’t know) so she provides for him. We never see her but he asks her about where his suit is in episode 11. If you wondering how he can afford to have a roof and food, that explains it.
For Chise she just likes tattoos and was bullied because of it, which is why she dropped school and hides her tattoo beneath the black sleeve.

But yeah the rest doesn’t make too much sense like you said. The aftermath of kaiju battles in ignored which hurts the believability of the story and the sense of stakes. And it’s never addressed whether the world is a simulation or not. I have an issue with the eugenicists as well. Why do they want to kill humans despite enjoying their time in human society?
I was also disappointed that we never had a proper backstory for Gauma and the princess. Despite this being his motivation it only gets some lines of dialogue here and there. I guess they just didn’t have screentime for that. So many things could have been fleshed out if the show was a two-cour. At least I liked the resolution for Koyomi who changed his look and is actively looking for a job.

Gridman works better as a self-container story but I didn’t like how it revolved all around Akane.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
So what is the one piece now exactly? some history book that explains how luffy is king neo?
I told myself I'd catch up but every spoiler I read just makes me fucking hate what the series has become. I liked it when it was just an adventure series with a grand scope.

Watching the Record of Ragnarok anime... I don't hate it but it isn't what we deserved. They definitely spent all their time polishing up the Lu Bu vs Thor fight cuz oh my god at the climax of Adam vs Zeus.

Karmic Raze

I’m trying my best to catch up on Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. I put it off for the longest time. I’m at episode 11 right now. I need to finish it ASAP so I can watch Mugen Train on FunimationNow since it’s being put on there in a couple of days. Furthest I made it before my Sling stopped recording episodes for some reason during the original Adult Swim run was episode 7, so I’m making progress!

I’m trying my best to catch up on Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. I put it off for the longest time. I’m at episode 11 right now. I need to finish it ASAP so I can watch Mugen Train on FunimationNow since it’s being put on there in a couple of days. Furthest I made it before my Sling stopped recording episodes for some reason during the original Adult Swim run was episode 7, so I’m making progress!
I couldn’t keep watching Mugen Train because of the lame humor and that fucking annoying Zenitsu. Worst character I’ve seen in a long time.

RoboEight

I was lucky enough to see Mugen Train in theatres yesterday. I hadn’t seen the show before so I binged the entire thing in two sittings and finished the last episode half hour before I went to the movies. Movie is super good and yes watch the series before the movie it’ll make more sense and you’ll get more out of it plus the first 2-3 minites of the movie are literally the last 2-3 minutes of episode 26 so it starts right after the last episode ends.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I couldn’t keep watching Mugen Train because of the lame humor and that fucking annoying Zenitsu. Worst character I’ve seen in a long time.
He's barely in the movie lmao. He has the least screen time of the him, the MC and the Boar.

EDIT: Also I liked his fight against the spider, despite Demon Slayer not breaking new ground as a Shounen it can still sell familiar scenarios really well with a character only having one move to use in a fight.

Wish I watched the series dubbed because despite the narrative lacking any emotional impact for Rengoku I got more of an emotional response from dub Tanjiro screaming at the demon than in Japanese.

Last edited:

Sakura

NEET senpai lives with his mom (or both parents, we don’t know) so she provides for him. We never see her but he asks her about where his suit is in episode 11. If you wondering how he can afford to have a roof and food, that explains it.
For Chise she just likes tattoos and was bullied because of it, which is why she dropped school and hides her tattoo beneath the black sleeve.

But yeah the rest doesn’t make too much sense like you said. The aftermath of kaiju battles in ignored which hurts the believability of the story and the sense of stakes. And it’s never addressed whether the world is a simulation or not. I have an issue with the eugenicists as well. Why do they want to kill humans despite enjoying their time in human society?
I was also disappointed that we never had a proper backstory for Gauma and the princess. Despite this being his motivation it only gets some lines of dialogue here and there. I guess they just didn’t have screentime for that. So many things could have been fleshed out if the show was a two-cour. At least I liked the resolution for Koyomi who changed his look and is actively looking for a job.

Gridman works better as a self-container story but I didn’t like how it revolved all around Akane.
In regards to NEET, in episode 6 he implies he has/had money. He says something like お金はあるんすよ、ぎっしりあったんすよ. It's not really ever clear why he is a NEET or why he didn't finish high school. He doesn't seem to be opposed to working as we see throughout the series. The only real backstory we are given for him is his encounter with that girl where he ran away, but I don't understand why that would lead him to be the way he is today.

For Chise, what I mean is, her having a tattoo doesn't really make any sense. Tattoos are pretty frowned upon in Japan. They aren't really socially acceptable. Add on to that, she is in middle school. You wouldn't even be allowed to dye your hair in middle school. Some schools even have rules on what kind of hair style you can have. Yet Chise, for some reason, this 13 year old or whatever kid, just gets a dragon tattoo on her arm? Of course she would get bullied for it. More than that she would get in serious trouble from the school. And the only reason she got the tattoo is because she likes tattoos? I need a little more than that. Who would even give a 13 year old girl a tattoo?

Apparently there is some voice drama CDs or whatever (not sure) that expands on the characters somewhat, but I don't really like that style of story telling where I have to reach out to other mediums just to figure out what is going on.

This new Godzilla anime is testing my patience. It's not bad but there is a distinct lack of Godzilla so far.
Godzilla Singular Point's problem is the distinct mismatch between its actual focus and the intended source material. The show's main writer is a speculative/science fiction novelist with a physics background, initially brought-on as a science consultant before having his role expanded. What got produced is an overly-exposition driven, science-based catastrophe series, with (somewhat) giant monsters grafted onto it. How much monster material is necessary could certainly be argued, but removing the opening & ending sequences, people are looking at 4.5 hours of content, largely focused on characters talking at each other about mostly fictitious science. While it still may not have felt like a completely proper Godzilla show, a tighter edited series at half the runtime with more consideration given to the ratio of exposition to action could have made for a better product. Singular Point is more entertaining than that other Netflix-funded Godzilla project, but it's still disappointing. It is, however, setup for a sequel, so I guess we'll see whether there's enough positive response to push things forward.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

Holyfuuuuuuck there is no way I'm believing MAPPA went all in on this. Did AoT S4 die for this? The only show I've seen by MAPPA with good animation is Jujutsu Kaisen.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Looking for manga recommendations for my 8 year old girl. I'm trying to get her to read more and she likes some anime so I thought I'd try manga.
I was thinking about the Soul Eater manga. It has some nice hardcover editions. She loved the anime. The anime has some fan service and I was wondering if the manga was "worse"?

Any other recommendations?

Looking for manga recommendations for my 8 year old girl. I'm trying to get her to read more and she likes some anime so I thought I'd try manga.
I was thinking about the Soul Eater manga. It has some nice hardcover editions. She loved the anime. The anime has some fan service and I was wondering if the manga was "worse"?

Any other recommendations?
I don't know about the Soul Eater, I only read the climax and don't remember much.

How about Sweetness and Lightning? It's about a father and his daughter.

YMM5QzL.jpg

You could also go with Snow White with the Red Hair (shojo, romance,)

Labolas

Megalobox Nomad was pretty good. Thematically it's where it should have gone for a second season. I think the only nitpick I had with it was the OST isn't a good as the first one imo.

And the Chainsaw Man trailer looks better than the manga. Should be a fun watch.

drganon

Finished demon slayer. Overall, it was pretty good. Plan on watching the movie when I get a chance. Started watching my hero academia.

I'm kinda behind on my anime.

ManaByte

Finished demon slayer. Overall, it was pretty good. Plan on watching the movie when I get a chance. Started watching my hero academia.

I'm kinda behind on my anime.

I liked the Demon Slayer movie.

My favorite part was when Nezuko was trying to wake people up by setting them on fire. Made me laugh.

But felt it wasn't as epic as episode 19 of the series.

Top Bottom